Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any clues to what makes this signal on 160 Meters?

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
On the left side of the pan, there is a signal that begins at a single point and then fans out much wider.  I have never seen this before and wonder what it might be.  This was this morning during my local  Indiana greyline time while trying to listen for W1AW/KH6.image

Answers

• Jim  KJ7S
    Jim KJ7S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    At my station, there is a front loader pair, washer and dryer. When the washer is cycling, it sometimes produces a similar "leaf rake" type of pattern, generated by variabe speed controllers/motors. Look for that possibility in these, and other sources including newer furnaces etc. And if you are close ebough to another residence, may even get a little from them.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Looks like the same pattern I get from our Trane Hyperion Handler when it fires up.   Variable speed motor.
  • Dave - WB5NHL
    Dave - WB5NHL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I have exactly the same pattern from my HVAC fan. What you are seeing is a motor coming up to speed.  Here is what I see
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    No worries Ken... now that you know.... Just turn your furnace off for the winter
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited June 2020
    Reminded me of this:

But I suspect the source phenomena are different.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    You guys need a vacation!  hi hi...lol.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I think it was North Korea getting a little uppity about "The Interview"

• John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    Good one Steve!!!!    Merry Christmas Ken   stay warm OK
  • Rick_K7ET
    Rick_K7ET Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Showing your age there, Steve!  Hi, HI

• Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Yea, sure looks like Sony put an end to my chance of ever getting that cw card to fill my straight. modes.
    Funny I have the two harder ones confirmed, just missed the CW.
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    MISSLE COMMAND!!! We are all older, lads.
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I guess since the balloon just went up I won't get to enjoy my Maestro when it comes in!!! **sniff** **sniff**

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.