Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

anxiously awaiting WAN operation and diversity receive

When will V2 arrive ?  I have put off asking this question for some time , don't mean to be negative I know you guys are working on it just need some feedback .   thanks John

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The Flex community waits along side you John.   We just don't ask anymore.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    About four months ago, Tim posted this official response to a similar question.... "The "ETA" for SmartSDR v2.0 is after the initial Maestro release (v1.7) and the Maestro/SmartSDR follow-up release (v1.8). This infers we plan to start working on 2.0 by late summer. Other than the previously announced WAN connectivity feature, we have not done release planning, therefore, we have not decided on what other features will be included in SmartSDR v2.0. Once we know, I am sure we will share our release plan." ....such statements are always what I call "snapshots" of policy. I.e. They represent current thinking, but can always be changed as circumstances change. In any case. We will all need to be patient while development continues. Ken - NM9P
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I believe since then they've mentioned a 1.9 release. That may still imply they will start late summer, which could be, technically speaking, Sept 20th. But, let us, as their user base, give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they will be working on it in earnest later this year. My, personal guess, people won't see the .00 release until Q1 next year. On another personal note, let us try something new this time and assume they want to sell it more than you want to buy it. Let's dispense with the incessant "Is it soup yet?". 
  • M1tanker64
    M1tanker64 Member
    edited July 2016

You nailed it Walt.

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

@John

If you own a 6700 then diversity is available to you now. No diversity reception possible on the 6300 or 6500.

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thee 6500 (perhapd 6300) are capable of geo diversity, when that gets implemented. That is the primary justification for GPSDO, as it will require an incredibly accurate clock for reassembly of data.
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

As you know Walt Geo diversity will be much more difficult... even finding  another receiver that has propagation at all to work with may be a challenge. Not entirely impossible but a great science project.  Beam/phase steering for the current diversity implementation may be more likely at first.

I was just trying to answer part of John's initial question.

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Oh, I totally get that Larry. I was simply repeating the marketing justification for purchasing a $650 optional extra to the 6000 line. To my recollection, ARRL didn't talk about local DR, rather geographic DR.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Diversity and beam steering possibilities is the one reason that I sometimes wish I had gotten a 6700 instead of a 6500.  (that and the possibility of SO2R.  But most of the time I am very pleased with the 6500 so is my wallet!  No GPS unit yet.  I can always add that later when new features may require it.

Ken - NM9P
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm with you Ken, kicking myself for not getting a 6700 instead, since I got my 6500 then the Canadian dollar has devalued thus increasing the price of a 6700 by well over $2000. I would sell my 6500 and Icom 7600 in a heartbeat for a 6700 now that I have a Maestro.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

Now that is a huge difference in price!

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It was a stretch for me to go with the 6500, so the 6700 was out of reach...if I wanted to get my tower and LP antenna, that is.  I could have gotten the 6700, but then I would be using a $7000 radio with wire antennas and verticals.  As much as I would love to have the "Big Dog"  I think I am having more fun with the tower and beam!  But who knows what may be available when I retire in five or ten years?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I was on the phone, likely a hour, with Tim back in 2012 going over the 6500 v 6700. I couldn't see ANY value in 8 slices and, as the 6300 was not announced at that point, I saw no use for 4 either. I can program the other 2 but not quite sure for what or why. Personally, I saw the 6700 as a throwback to the 80's and 'conspicuous consumption' (whatever blows one's skirt up). As for DR, we discussed that too and receiving on two antennas in the backyard is, given polarity varies so both would be receiving out of phase, was questionable use of an otherwise good antenna. So, in my case, it wasn't I couldn't 'keep up with the Jones" it was I chose not to. That said, receiving from 2 (or more), geographically disparate, antennas, ala that described in ARRL Propagation, now that had legs.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited October 2016

Ken,

A tower and a beam, I can only dream of that. My neighborhood restricts antennas, as in no Amateur antennas so I have 10m, 20m dipoles and a 2m GP3 in the attic.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Amateur Radio Parity Act cleared committee with an unanimous vote.  Will be voted on by the entire house later this month

Very likely you could see an end to your HOA antenna restrictions this year

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Allow me to be the first to 'like' that post. I should caution though, it won't end HOA restrictions, it will allow for dialog and accommodation as opposed to decree. No one should start their US Towers order quite yet.My guess is dipoles and maybe a vertical behind the tree will be the easiest paths to coming out of the ham radio closet, so to speak.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

As I read the amended legislation, Walt is pretty close to being correct.  The HOA will no longer be able to deny an Antenna BUT the final design, size, style, aesthetics will be subject to negotiation.

This is a huge relief for California residents where since about 1965 all new construction was required by law to have CC&R's and/or HOA.. so most California residents do not have the option of avoiding antenna restrictions... .

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    As I begin to contemplate retirement in 5-10 years and begin the "dreaming phase" considering where in the country we want to live, one of the major considerations is going to be "can I put up a tower sufficient to satisfy my retirement Amateur Radio operations?"  (And it will be a BIG one, because it likely will be my LAST one, so I am going to enjoy it as long as I can!)

My wife would like to be near a larger community, but out of town where there is some good scenery and nature to enjoy.  Smaller house, more land.  Also good for the antenna situation....

Not to mention needing to be in a good school system for my son, who will be either starting high school or college, depending upon our timing. 

So there are a lot of considerations, and finding something that I will be able to afford on a pastor's pension is going to be a challenge! 

There are a lot of nice places to consider, but a house with HOA's and Contract Covenant Restrictions currently gets an immediate veto, I have spent my whole career negotiating approval from committees.  I am not going to spend my retirement years doing the same!

Ken - NM9P
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Well Ken, there is NE CT, the 'quiet corner'. Worcester MA is close, Hartford, CT is close, Providence, RI is close, but this is pretty rural. And, best part of all, your new project can be to help supervise my more rambunkious moments. It is actually called the quiet corner. If you look at an Earth at Night photo, this area of CT is dark, quiet, light and RF pollution wise.
  • Mike_N1MD
    Mike_N1MD Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I agree, Walt! Lived in the Quiet Corner all my life except for a sojourn in the USAF Medical Corps in 2008-2012 with a tour in Iraq thrown in.

Great place to live, bring up the kids and grandkids and play RADIO!

Amateur astronomers camp out in my corn fields to take photos of the night sky.
    The RF noise is minimal.
    The people are great.

You should look here, Ken!

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Well if I wanted DR I think I would spend my monies on a array system than depend on the radio to make two of my maybe not equal antennas. Plus you can build a kick *** array either 4 or 8 or any other number. You will spend more on the array than the DR option but the payback on the array will be huge.  Now I do understand if you are on a postage stamp lot that changes the game.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sounds interesting, but would I need to learn to speak Yankee? or "downeast dialect?"  ha!  I learned to talk Texan when I was going to grad school at SMU, I guess I could learn any dialect!

But seriously, I have been in the northeast of the US and it is very beautiful, but I don't think I could take the winters any more.  Indiana is cold enough.  When it gets too cold, I can hardly send CW with my arthritic fingers any more.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yankee is not a dialect, it's a state of grace.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Antenna is, and always has been, 98% of a good station! Some argue 99%.

What is intriguing is the potential to do what they've done with astronomy, link multiple stations together to form a truly massive antenna. This is what I am counting on FRS to do in 2.x.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

@Ken

California.. Best year round weather in the country.  especially San Diego.

However:

Highest taxes in the country. (not good for retirement income)

Worst Public Schools in the Country (with Highest Paid Teachers)

Most Expensive Real Estate if you want to avoid a HOA

Among the Highest Cost of Living.  ..(not good for retirement income)

Definitely an In Your Face Place.. where everyone thinks they have a right to tell you how to live your life. (You are guaranteed a fight if you try to put up an antenna even without an HOA)

But the weather is great.... and we do not have seasons...

On second thought why the heck do I live in CA?

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Howard I don't think we hold that status for taxes any longer.
    http://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/states-with-the-highest-taxes.html/?a=viewall
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    They don't try to tell everyone how to live their lives, just you.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016

That's a bogus survey which is completely out of touch with reality.  Probably written by some tax and spend idiot in Sacramento...

What other state has a nearly 10% (soon to be higher) Sales Tax and a 13% income tax rate.  What other state assumes you are high tax bracket rich if you make over $50,000 per year

Fortunately due to Prop 13 our property taxes are limited to 1.25% of value BUT our property values are so much higher...that we still do not get a break.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.