Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Antenna modes

Options
Drax
Drax Member
edited March 2017 in
What are antenna modes?

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Good question. Can you describe what you think are antenna mode or how you have seen this term used?
  • Drax
    Drax Member
    edited August 2013
    Options
    In the SmartSDR road map for the first cycle. It says Antenna Modes. I'm guessing it means being able to tx on the other antenna 2nd and 3rd connectors.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Got it. We are working on an antenna selection "applet" that will facilitate the selection of the proper antenna based on several selection criteria. I can't go into a lot of detail as we are still developing the requirements for it, but I'm sure once we have that done, we'll share with the community to get everyone's input.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Here's the deal on this, Drax: There is a switching matrix in the radio that wires the antennas to the ADC(s) and the exciter to the proper transmit antenna. There are lot of combinations that will let you do interesting things, but they are not all enabled in software today. When this item is complete, you will be able to select any antenna mode and have the radio either wire up what you've asked for -or- pick what it thinks you are likely trying to do and wire that up and tell you what it did. It is essentially a broad expansion of what the radio will let you do with antennas along with removing some bad behavior that the radio occasionally performs when switching antennas. The radio controls are likely to remain the same with one exception: we will be adding a couple of buttons that let you select RXA-I/O and RXB-I/O for the two loops on the back of the radio. This will allow you to receive on an antenna, but loop it through a preamp or a filter of some kind. Generally, most folks will not want to use a preamp as the radio has plenty of preamp gain, but you might want to use a band filter under some circumstances. Steve