Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Antenna Setup with KAT 500

W2ECK
W2ECK Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
New 6600 user migrating fm Elecraft K3. I kept my KPA500 and KAT500. With the  K3 had 3 antennas coming into KAT feeding one antenna port on the K3. And did switching with KAT 500. But really like the having two SCUs/two antennas connected to 6600.
- So question is how have others with the KPA/KAT combination (only on antenna output connection) setup multiple antennas but still realize the benefits of the 2 SCUs ?

Paul
w2eck

Answers

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Same setup here. Unfortunately, since the KPA and KAT only have one input, that’s all she wrote.
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    So do you use any type of antenna switching between KAT500 and the Flex 6600? Paul w2eck
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have my KPA500 connected to ANT 1 on the Flex and use the KAT500 to automatically switch my antennas when I am working SSB.  When I am working FT8, I use the manual mode on the KAT500 so it will not tune and delay the timing for FT8 contacts. I trained the KAT500 to memorized the lowest SWR for multiple segments for both antenna and on all bands.  Both SCUs use the same antenna that is selected by the tuner.  If you want to use separate antennas for SCU and use the KPA/KAT combo, I think you could use an Antenna Genius to automatically select the correct antenna for each SCU and continue to use the amp and tuner.

Reggie N3OP
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Reggie - thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. My three antennas are a Hex Beam, 6-80m EFHW and a160 Inverted L. So was also toying with idea of using 2 on the KAT to one ant port and the third to the other antenna port on the 6600. Am not familiar with Antenna Genius, will have to look into that .

Paul
    w2eck
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018

Paul,

The issue with using your third antenna on Ant2 on the 6600 is that it will not be connected to use the amp.

Reggie N3OP
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Reggie- understand - but want to take advantage of using the 2nd SCU/Ant for diversity. A compromise situation- yes

Paul
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi Paul,

I have a hex beam and SteppIR vertical connected to a Flex 6600 on Ant1 and Ant2.  I wanted to operate a KPA500 with either antenna when running in diversity mode or with dual panadapters and fabricated a simple antenna switch to accomplish the task as shown here: 

TX for both receiver slices is set to Ant1 which connects to the KPA500 and RX is set to Ant1 and Ant2 respectively. The switch swaps Ant1 and Ant2 signal paths between the hex beam and vertical. 

The RF relay is an Array Solutions 10KW DPDT unit with a 12 vdc coil, which is controlled remotely with a DLI Web Power Switch.  I added a diode and cap across the coil and installed everything in a cast aluminum box (well grounded) with four quality S0-239 connectors.  

Note that this simple homebrew switch can't be used for full duplex (FDX) because it has poor RF isolation.  Also, you must avoid transmitting while switching antennas.  Obviously, the switch swaps the antennas associated with the two receiver slices, which can be a slightly confusing at first.    

FWIW, I'm not sure if this solution can do what you want, but you could connect the KAT500 in one of the signal paths to tune and switch between two non-resonant antennas and connect the third resonant antenna (hex beam) to the other path.  

Otherwise the 4O3A 8x2+ Antenna Genius should be able to handle the basic job and provide other useful features. 

Good luck and 73,

Larry KB1VFU
  • W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Larry - thanks for a very interesting solution. Not sure exactly how I will proceed but your idea is definitely a possibility.

Paul

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.