Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

antenna selection not consistent in 1.6.21

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
On my 6500, I have noticed an anomaly in the antenna selection/memories.
If I am running 160 meters and have the RX antenna set to RXA for my loop and change frequencies to 80 meters via the band buttons in the pull down, the RX antenna changes properly back to ANT1 on receive...

BUT, if I change frequency to a spot on 80 via clicking on a spot in my ACLog program, the RX Antenna stays on RXA instead of changing back to ANT1.

I have also noticed that sometimes the RXEQ sometimes changes unpredictably, depending upon whether I change frequencies/modes via the control panel, or via clicking on spots in my logging program.  

I have noticed this behavior numerous times, but haven't remembered to post it.
Is this a known issue, or does my gad-about operating style just mess things up?

Ken - NM9P

Answers

• James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Ken, I have noticed that if I select a frequency/band via memories, then persistence is iffy at best. Noise reduction may deselect or the value drop just for example. Sometimes when I change bands, the band width displayed may expand or drop in frequency. I never noticed this before 1.6.x.....  but it is hard to quantify.     Jim
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    Ken - I am afraid this is working as designed.  For the contest optimizations we made in v1.6, the feedback we received was for direct frequency changes, which can happen if you enter the frequency directly for the slice or CAT changes the frequency of the slice, the antenna port assignment should not change.  However, changing frequency using the band button functions differently.  In this case, all slices for the panadapter are destroyed, the panadapter is tuned to the band frequency range and the if there is band persistence data (antenna port, slices, etc..), it is used to recreate the previous band state.  If there is no persistence data for that band, then one band default slice is created.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Tim.  I thought I was going nuts.  (still might be...)

It would, however, seem to be that it would be more efficient if the antenna port selection was consistent for any particular band, regardless to which method I use to select a frequency on any particular band.  It should remain the same as the last time I used that band, whether I choose it via keypad entry, spotter entry, entering the frequency in my "run" window in N1MM+, or via the band buttons.  As it is, if I change from 160 to 80 via anything other than the band buttons, I must manually switch the RX antenna from the loop on RXA to the dipole on ANT1. (and vice versa)

But I could be convinced to change my mind on this...
    I would be interested in hearing from others the justification for this mode of operation.  I may be missing something.  For example... Perhaps it makes a difference to those who are doing SO2R/SO2V? or running with complex amps with internal tuners/antenna switches?

One thing I do see is that If I have two slices open for split or for run & S&P at the same time, when I use the band button to change bands, both slices are replaced by a new one, so I don't need to close the second slice.  But if I use direct entry, it keeps the second slice open, in order to maintain the ability to continue a search for additional multipliers on the second slice.  Is this part of the intended contester logic?

Ultimately, as long as I understand the way it is designed to work I can adapt...as long as it makes sense to me.

Ken - NM9P
  • shawje
    shawje Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken, sorry for using this method but would like to chat with you about an audio config issue I have and have been unsuccessful in finding an e-mail address for you.  I'm next door in OH at jshaw1@woh.rr.com.  Please e-mail me, if you don't mind.  73 and Thanx!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Efficient, maybe.  Consistent, not so much because persistence is in play and by definition it is dynamic.  If you reset your band persistence or get it messed up on a perband basis, then you have to train each band to know what antenna to use.  This activity would be Q rate killer in a contest, so there is a "set and forget" mode of operation which operates like it does; set the RX/TX antenna port and it overrides band persistence for direct tuning methods.  Tuning a slice does not override persistence for band tuning.

One thing I do see is that If I have two slices open for split or for run & S&P at the same time, when I use the band button to change bands, both slices are replaced by a new one, so I don't need to close the second slice.  But if I use direct entry, it keeps the second slice open, in order to maintain the ability to continue a search for additional multipliers on the second slice.  Is this part of the intended contester logic?

No.  This is band button tuning logic.  Unless you have previously set up slices on said band, when you use the band button to tune, you will only get one default slice.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.