Antenna Genius with Flex6500 & Elecraft K3

• Praise
  • Updated 1 year ago

I've just completed setting up my 8 ant x 2 port Antenna Genius ant switch with my two radios. The AG is mounted in a waterproof box at the base of the tower.

The AG Port A (Flex6500) is controlled using CAT6 cable from my router & Port B (Elecraft K3) is controlled from the K3 ACC socket using BCD (Binary Coded Decimal).data.

It all  works seamlessly from within the AG small window switching my 80M dipole, my Optibeam 40/30M rotatable dipole & my 3-EL SteppIR between either radio. On the Flex the band changing of the SteppIR is carried out automatically from one of the Flex USB ports but at the moment for use with the K3, the SteppIR band changing is manual.

I use the Flex in line with an Elecraft KPA500 amp & the KAT500 tuner, bypassing the Flex internal tuner. I also have an Elecraft 144MHz Transverter working with the Flex.

My congratulations to the Flex & 4O3A guys for making it all so easy to setup & configer. The hardest part was soldering the 5 wires in the two DE15S connectors for the Port B BCD data cable!

Ray G3XLG

Photo of Ray G3XLG

Ray G3XLG

• 21 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Hi Ray,

Just curious how did you physically position your 8x2 AG ?  From various photos on the web, it appears that the 8 pl259 or 8 type N females are kinda close to one another and with 8 coax runs being connected looks like things can get crowded.  I have been thinking about mounting an AG horizontal with the female connecters facing down and potentially running all 10 coax feeds vertically up into the AG to reduce loading/stress on both the AG and the cable runs and omitting the need for a 90 degree adapter. Just trying to learn what you did for your shack.

tnx,
mike
Photo of Ray G3XLG

Ray G3XLG

• 21 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Hi Mike

I mounted the AG vertically in an outside Utility meter box - about 21" high, 14" wide & 8" deep. I also use the box for the rotator cable junctions & a junction for the BCD cable to Port B etc.

At the moment I only use 3 of the 8 antenna ports with more to follow eventually, but because of the 8" depth of the box, I didn't need 90 degree adaptor plugs. The spacing between each of the 8 antenna sockets is about 1.5" so assuming you are using 10mm/1/2" antenna coax, it wouldn't be too crowded. Leave plenty of room below the AG as you need to connect the 12v power supply, the CAT5 cable & a DE15S plug, if you use BCD control for one on the two input ports.

I don't think I can add photos here but will Email you a couple.

Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the first hand info. I have seen some more pictures that seem to be similar to your configuration and yes spacing does not appear to be as crowded as I was concerned about. Thanks again and have a good evening.

mike
Photo of Steve Gw0gei

Steve Gw0gei

• 192 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Nice work Ray - my antenna genius 2x8 switch is still sat in the shack working with ant1 and ant2 on my 6300 going via a hf amp and a mono band 6m amp into radio port 1 and 2 on the switch. Its going to move into my antenna entry large cupboard behind the shack wall in the next few weeks when I move the 6300 and my kuhne tvtr and 4m pa into there. Just need the new power genius to  join them then and replace both of my current amps for so2r :-)