Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Antenna Genius and V2

AH0U
AH0U Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Does V2 make any provision for running Antenna Genius without a PC???? Seems remote operation with an Antenna Genius needs this

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    That is entirely up to Ranko. From what I gather, it is in the works, but is not included with this initial release of v2.
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2020
    Too bad.... makes V2 fairly useless for those of us who use the Antenna Genius
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I've got Antenna Genius working using BCD. No window app required.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    So Antenna Genius will not work in the Ethernet Mode (Automatic)???  Do you need a computer running the windows app? 

Cal/N3CAL
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    Too bad.... makes V2 fairly useless for this if us who use the Antenba Genius
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I presume you misunderstood my comment. Antenna Genius can use BCD data from the radio. Open the AG manual go to paragraph 8.6 and setup the dipswitch as illustrated. The switch will now switch with the radio band setting. Once you do this the AG app will only be good to configure the AG. Good Luck
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2020
    But if you have more than one antenna for a band , how do you switch between antennas??
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    You've got me there. I'm sure the makers of AG will provide us with some relief.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Maybe ask Ranko directly. I'm sure he wants full SmartSDR integration. I doubt he will give a firm date though. But yes I'd like that too.
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited July 2017
    Many of us have but he seems to say it's FRS needs to do it
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I did ask on their website, see category "AG functionality via the FLEXRADIO Maestro"

The reply from Jan. 26:  "I've talked to Steve from FlexRadio and he says we can expect it in the second half of 2017. They're busy developing the new SmartSDR version, adding WAN support and other big features."

So hopefully sometime soon.
  • Dragisa Boca
    Dragisa Boca Member
    edited June 2020
    Hello everyone!

My name is Dragiša - 4O9ITT and I  work at 4O3A Signature. 

We started the discussion on this topic on our humble forums: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/4o3a-genius-devices/yl9-xO2fiCI

What I need from you guys is information on whether Flex actually has classic BCD output? 
    If so it is possible to hack together a temporary solution.

Besides that I want to let you know that I'm talking with Flex software devs about integrating the AG app into Maestro. I will let you know when a timeline is set.

Dragiša 4O9ITT
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    NO
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited July 2017
    Yes, you can plug a USB to BCD cable into the radio and configure it in SmartSDR for either HF BCD, HF & VHF BCD, or VHF BCD

Dave wo2x
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thank you Dragiša. looking forward to it! I may acquire an AG soon. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
     Dragiša

What I need from you guys is information on whether Flex actually has classic BCD output? 

It is the Yaesu BCD "standard"
    http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited July 2017
    Since the AG has two VGA ports, does one need two USB cables on. 6700 one for each TX output???
  • Dragisa Boca
    Dragisa Boca Member
    edited July 2017
    Thanks for info guys!

Yaesu BCD "standard is perfect". 
    AG features a dedicated BCD port for each radio port so yes, two cables would be necessary.

This may be a transitional solution for some users before AG is implemented into Maestro. 

Thinking out loud it may be worth considering simply keeping a PC running at your station with AG and SSDR open. You will be able to do everything except change antennas on the same band but you won't be able to do this when using BCD cables either.  You'd save on power though.

@Ria That's great! The product turned out to be very reliable so far.

Dragiša 4O9ITT
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I don't regret getting AG 8x2, it really simplifies the station and if you're anything close to lazy and band hop, you will love this. Besides the addition to have full control including antenna switching via Maestro, I would like a feature to lock current antenna or override auto-antenna/band switching from both SmartSDR and Maestro. When tuning outside ham bands the AG switches to what bands you have preset or created. This is a hassle for example if you are tuning and you hit the frequency or go outside a preset then the antenna switches to whatever. Times like that I'd rather use a manual switch but I understand with new technology come a learning curve for the developers and end users.
    I must say Dragiša has been very responsive on the website, keep up the good work guys.
  • Dragisa Boca
    Dragisa Boca Member
    edited June 2019
    Guys,

The USB to BCD cable we've been mentioning is this one, right? 
    http://cart.flexradio.com/USB-to-Serial-adapter-for-the-FLEX-6000-series_p_1002.html

You can configure this piece of hardware to act as either BCD, CAT, BIT etc.?

Regards,
    Dragisa
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited December 2017
    The other function of my 8x2 AG that has not been mentioned is the external relays.... I use them to switch directions of my phased arrays.... so the PC app. not only selects the correct antenna for the band in use, it also allows me to switch my arrays.... without a PC this would not be possible... if the AG get integrated into the Maestro, which I hope it does, I also hope it makes provision for the external relays sold by 4O3A...
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    My Antenna Genius 8x2 appears to have an intermittent stuck relay on the "A" side. Have a workaround by switching transmit input to the "B" side, but curious if anyone else has had a similar problem. Use AG to switch between 3 antennas and it does a great job!
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    I just received a new replacement for my AG 8x2... this is my third one as the other two which 4o3a replaced all had similar challenges.... I suggest you post a note on the 4o3a page as the new USA rep. is very responsive and helpful

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.