Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

antenna 1 high SWR, antenna 2 low SWR

Everything else being equal, why would Antenna 1 show off the scale SWR while Antenna 2 is low.

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020

one antenna on the tuner the other one isn't?
  • Russell Locke
    Russell Locke Member
    edited February 2020
    I don't think I made myself clear now that I read the question again and your answer.  Only one antenna in use.  Switching the coax from RADIO antenna 1 to RADIO antenna 2 is the issue.  I don't see why the SWR's would be different unless there is a problem within the radio.  I know that the point is to be able to use two antennnas with one radio but I was trying to get the SWR's down for a new antenna and just tried switching the coax on the radio.  It worked but I don't understand why.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Are you  sure you switched the TX and not only the RX to both antenna ports?
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    It sounds like the active slice is still pointing to TX1. You need to change that in the active slice. It doesn't change by itself just because you moved the coax to TX2

Then you should retune
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Was the tuner ON with ANT 1 ?
  • Russell Locke
    Russell Locke Member
    edited February 2020
    I realize that just moving the coax will not change the active antenna without changing it in the slice.
  • Russell Locke
    Russell Locke Member
    edited February 2020
    I'm fairly certain I switched both TX and RX.  I don't know what is meant my "ON."  I didn't need to use the internal tuner for Antenna 2 and Antenna 1 would not tune.
  • Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin
    edited April 2020
    Hi Russell,

When using a single (RX/TX) antenna on ANT2: make sure your coax is connected to ANT 2 and the slice indicates both the RX (blue) and TX (red) are set to ANT2 as indicated below.  If this configuration works fine and you see high SWR when you switch everything back to ANT1, please open a helpdesk ticket and we'll diagnose the issue further. 

Dan

• Russell Locke
    Russell Locke Member
    edited February 2020
    Dan,
    I checked again and yes, both TX and RX (red and blue) were on Ant 1 and SWR's were full scale.  Went back to Ant 2, TX and RX (red and blue) and SWR was 1:1.2.  I'll open a ticket, more because I'm curious than because I need more than one!

Russ
    K5FJR
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2020
    All things being equal and configured properly, this would be indicative of a hardware issue.
  • Russell Locke
    Russell Locke Member
    edited February 2020
    I agree.  And as I said, I really don't need both Ant1 and Ant 2.  It would not be worth sending the radio back to Austin over.

Russ
    K5FJR
  • Luis del MOlino
    Luis del MOlino Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Do you have different lengths of coaxial cable linking the two ouptus of the switch and the rig? They must be exactaly equal in lenght if you do not have a balun or an unun at your antenna feeding point, The difference in SWR readings can be the result of a comon mode current running outside of your transmission line, because different lenghts of  the line gives different SWR readings if you are checkng SWR on the higher bands. One meter difference would be very significant on 10 meters without a balun.. This should not be the case if you have a balun at the feeding point of your antenna. Then the length of the coaxial is uninportant.

Luis EA3OG. 
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Russell;

Curiosity question. Do you receive signals the same on ANT1 and ANT2, same level etc?
  • Russell Locke
    Russell Locke Member
    edited February 2020
    I guess I really have to work on my descriptions of problems.....I have ONE antenna with ONE coax lead from the antenna to the radio.  ALL I'm doing is switching the coax from the Ant 1 connection on the rear of the 6300 to the Ant 2 connection on the same 6300.  The length of that coax does not change as I unscrew it from Ant 1 and move it to Ant 2.  How is a balun going to help that?
  • Russell Locke
    Russell Locke Member
    edited February 2020
    Good question.  I don't think I noticed but I am going to check it out now.  And question answered:  No difference in received signal level on Ant1 vs Ant 2.
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    If u have a sig gen source see if theirs any difference between Ant 1 & Ant 2 for starters 
  • Kevin J. Darrah
    Kevin J. Darrah Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    You were perfectly clear.... people just don't comprehend what they read. It was very simple the way you stated it. Some of these comments I read above were rediculous. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2020
    Russell, I recommend that since what you are experiencing may be a hardware issue that you open a HelpDesk support ticket to have once of our technical support engineers work with you directly.
  • Russell Locke
    Russell Locke Member
    edited February 2020
    I opened one.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    If it is under warranty it would be. In the future you may want to have the use of ant 2 and having it fixed after the warranty expires may be costly.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited February 2020
    There was a course of action recommended in your ticket but we never received any response from you.
  • Russell Locke
    Russell Locke Member
    edited February 2020
    Tim,

I tried the reboot and it worked!  Thanks!
  • Doug Seyler
    Doug Seyler Member ✭✭

I have the same problem. Antenna 1 shows very high swr without the tuner. Move the antenna to antenna B input and it shows proper low swr for same antenna. What was the recommended course of action for Russell?

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

@Doug Seyler

Please open and support ticket and if you can, also supply 2 pictures or screen shots of the 2 different readings.

You will need to say what version of the software and hardware you are using and if it is on the exact same feedline, meaning you physically moved the feedline from ANT1 to ANT2.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.