Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Antena Genius and Flex V.2

AH0U
AH0U Member ✭✭

Since upgrading to the V.2, my Antenna Genius 8X2 has the habit if dropping connection unexpectedly and without any pattern... I have used it for a couple of years with computer,6700 and AG allonym LAN and with several versions of V1 the V.1 SSDR software without any problem, but now it drops connection at any time....I see some posts on the 4O3A group with the same challenge but no solutions... anyone having the challenge??

Answers

• Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I recently (yesterday) faced a very annoying lost connection problem with some commercial software.  I tracked it down to my TrendNet 8-port Ethernet switch.  There was only a single connection to the switch from my computer and the switch was connected to the Internet router.  I pulled the Ethernet cable from the Internet router to the back of my PC and that fixed my lost connection problem.  I'm just throwing this out there for something to think about, there's no chance that my problem is remotely similar to what you are facing with the 8X2. 
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2020
    I thought along the same lines... repacked the CAT 5 cables... swapped ports at the gigabit switch... changed switches... tried all the last versions of Flex V2... monitor the LAN activity on the Maestro screen but nothing helped!!
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I hate to hear there might be issues with the Antenna Genius 8X2.  I'm planning on ordering one with my PG-XL. Have you been able to narrow down the problem to the switch, or   Ethernet connectivity?
    edited March 2018
    It might be an idea to start a Wireshark monitor on the line and see if anything is obviously a problem.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I posted about this same problem on the 4O3A Community.  Random and no traceable pattern.  I still get that behavior and just finished building 2 cables to feed BCD data from the 6600 usb ports to the AG 8X2 switch ports A and B .  Have not got the new cables installed at the remote site yet.
    I do have all Ethernet connections through an 8 port NetGear GS108 switch and may try the AG 8X2 direct to the Router as a last resort.
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I am going back to V1 as I believe it is something in V2 that causes this...never had it until I went t V.2..... if this is the case, it really endangers remote as no AG would be a waste of time...the way it is,I cant remote anyway as if the antennas disconnect there is no way to reconnect them unless you can access the AG software via a VPN or the like....Another challenge often mentioned is no AG access on the Maestro... that is a real downer
  • JoeMoffatt
    JoeMoffatt Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The AG is a 100 mb Ethernet port. I had to replace the switch to mine with a Mikrotik router/switch and since then it has been fine with zero drops. V2 apparently has a problem with some devices losing connectivity from gigabit to 100 mb. It is very likely a flow control issue... so a lot of consumer grade switches may show this problem. I was having this exact same issue. I no longer do.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I'm am using the AG 8x2 and do not experience this with V2 so don't waste your time. Seems likely it's a hardware issue with either your internal network or the AG itself. Are you sure the power supply for the AG is stable ?
  • Ken W9IE
    Ken W9IE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Joe,   What model Mikrotik are you using ???

I see there is quite a price variation..

Ken  W9IE
  • JoeMoffatt
    JoeMoffatt Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    750g. Like $39
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Just ordered a Netgear/Prosafe FS108NA ethernet switch.  This is a 10/100 switch, in a nice metal case, to replace the Netgear/Prosafe GS108 Gigabit switch I have at the Remote now.  For only $24 we shall see if this helps some of the local LAN connection issues such as the intermittent and random Antenna Genius 8X2 LAN dropouts at the Remote.   Hoping this switch may also stabilize the Flex6600 Network quality connection as others have noted. 
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    FWIW my Antenna Genius 8x2 has been working fine (no crashes) with my 6600 (SO2R) for the past 4 weeks now using latest v2.1.33 software.   Have both 6600 and AG going to  8 port switch on my IQ Router network.   (6600 did crash twice on v2.1.32 software but AG has been solid) 

Cal / N3CAL
  • JoeMoffatt
    JoeMoffatt Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I want to make it clear that not all Ethernet switches will see this. However, from experience troubleshooting and hearing from many others, I believe v2 Ethernet works differently than v1 and it causes issues with AG and other devices randomly. It’s a trial and error thing to fix it.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I'm using a Cisco Small Business SG-200-08 Gigabit switch.  Works great with 6600, AG, and also 6300. 

Cal/N3CAL
  • JoeMoffatt
    JoeMoffatt Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Would expect that grade to work. All switches aren’t built the same. I believe it is in the translation from gb to 100mb that causes occasional drops. In any case mine never misses now. Run it remote all the time.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    There is also a "Green" power saving mode that could cause issues,  I had to turn that setting off on mine when I first got it.

Cal/N3CAL
  • JoeMoffatt
    JoeMoffatt Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    YES. The main point is that the Flex and devices associated make heavy use of real time streaming. They have zero tolerance for delay or packet drops. The network has to have quality cabling and infrastructure. Not necessarily expensive, but effective.
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited March 2018
    It would be helpful if there were a list of proven switches that work with the Antenna Genius
  • JoeMoffatt
    JoeMoffatt Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    It would be but what I am saying is not an official position. I’ve dealt with embedded Ethernet Linux based devices for years and this kind of thing happens fairly often. In my opinion, even though it is overkill, the AG needs a gig e interface since everything being built is that. Most of the time things work, but not all switches make the transition when one side is gig and the other 100mb. Flex and AG require real time communication and if anything goes wrong, you can see these drop outs appear. The only thing I can say is others with a working setup could post what they are using.
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited March 2018
    I just replaced my TP-Link TL-SG105 gigabit switch with a Netgear Prosafe 10/100 switch and my Antenna Genius still drops connection... any more ideas??
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Ethernet cable maybe?    I really did not want to hear about the Netgear 10/100 switch as I am trying that same change out this Saturday.  But then again I am also installing two usb cables from the Flex 6600 to the AG for BCD control of ports A and B.  Cant afford to chance losing Lan connections to the switch when its remote and the 6600/PGXL is transmitting.   Possibly the 10/100 will help the network connection to the 6600 and other 3rd party Apps/equipment that I remotely monitor via Ethernet.
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited March 2018
    If anything, it drops more often.... I dlready replaces the cables as they just run across the floor in the shack..... I never had any problems until I installed V2.... there is something in it that the AG does not like
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited March 2018
    Went back to V1 and so far no disconnects but no remote either
    edited March 2018
    I just replaced the TrendNet 8 port switch with a Mikrotik RB260GSP that Amazon had for $49.95.  It's currently $54.99 on Amazon.  The switch appears to work well but in my situation connection drop-outs are rare so it will be a while before I know how well this switch works.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Bruce,  what Firmware Version are you using on your Antenna Genius?   Curious what info is showing up under Network Information?   MY AG has been running 3.0.4 without dropouts.

I see there is 3.0.6 version firmware and application but I have not updated to it yet.  You might try that instead of going to SSDR V1.

Cal/N3CAL
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    Running 3.0.6 with firmware 3.0.4
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

Got response from Tim on my help ticket...said it was

not Flex's problem despite the fact I bought the AG from Flex and he suggested that I contact 4o3a...4O3a says check with Flex so I guess we are stuck in the middle with a station that does not work :( 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.