Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ant. Selection on 6700

AH0U
AH0U Member
Use my 6700 with an Anrenna Genius..works great as I switch from Panadapter to B and visa versa. My question is what antenna is being used when I open C or D or whatever??? Also in the flag we have ANT 1 or ANT 2 .. I always use 1 but where is or what is 2??? Tnx

Answers

• Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Anhou

If you want you can use Profiles and have this all preset to use different antennas on anything from Bands to Modes of operation. There is no need in this case for 3rd party programing SDR handles this well.

There is even a dedicated receive only position which I use when 40 thru 160 are noisy.

Typically the default antenna 1 but you can program it to be anything.

Ian
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019
    I am lost in your response.... I am sure it is very clear but makes no sense to me hi hi If I open panadapter C.. What antenna is it hooked to????? My Antenba Genius only had A and B Secondly, what is ANT 2 if ANT 1 is the transceiver ports on the rear????
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    There are two UHF connectors on the rear - ANT 1 and 2. You also have an XVTR (transverter) port and two receive antenna ports (RXA, RXB). Any can be assigned to any slice - A through H. The panadapter or slice does not define the port - you can choose.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Not even quite that simple.  As George said there are 5 receive sources.

Also, for the 6700 there are 2 SCU (Spectral Capture Units) or AtoD converters.
    RULE 1: A SCU may ONLY be connected to one receive antenna at a time HOWEVER both SCUs may be connected to the SAME antenna for receive.

For the first 2 panadapters (any letter combination) they may be assigned to ANY receive antenna.  If you choose two different antennas the panadapters will, by software and relay switching, also be connected to different SCUs (Rule 1 with 2 SCUs)

For the remaining 6 panadapters, software will connect to EITHER SCU PROVIDING that SCU is connected to the requested antenna.  If NEITHER SCU has THAT antenna the SCU/panadapter pair WILL BE changed to the requested antenna and the previous panadapter (of the first 2) will SWITCH to that antenna as well.  (Rule 1 - 1 antenna per SCU).  Note it the first two were on the same antenna then one SCU will service the first 2 panadapters and the other SCU will switch to the requested antenna and service the new panadapter. 

Confused yet?  Quite the logic inside the radio.

Common question, especially on 6300/6500 with 1 SCU is why when I change the antenna on panadapter x does panadapter y change antenna.  Answer: 1 SCU and 2 antenna selections - something must change.

6700 Variant:  I start a 2M panadapter why does my 20M loose its antenna? Answer: You also had a 40M panadapter open with a different antenna; something had to give way to 2M XVTR

Stan VA7NF

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019

You lost me... but I still do not understand what antenna is used if both panadaptors are in use what antenna is used for the third and on.... Also why do both show ANT! at the same time but both are on different antennas.... the whole thing beats me.

bc

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited June 2019

Let me be more specific...

Pan A is on 40 and using the 40 antenna on ANT1

Pan B is on 20 and on the 20 antenna using ANT1

When I open Pan C on 80 meters  A remains the same and same antenna, B remains the same on the same 20 meter antenna..

C is receiving FB on 80 but I have no idea which antenna it is using but not the 80 meter antenna and it is also set to ANT1.....Ant1 is the only port on the flag that works.. all the others seem tobe not connected.... My Antenna Genius  has an 80 meter antenna but the 6700 just uses the 40 and 20 meter antennas....so who is on third??? Beats me hi hi

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Start simple. Connect one and only one antenna to ANT1, and one to ANT2. Leave the Genius out of it until you're good with how SSDR works.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Bruce

Antenna Genius - then you have the 6700 ANT1 connected to it, also ANT2.  Then the antenna genius switches which physical antenna is presented on what you are calling ANT1.

From your description, the 6700's view, all 3 panadapters are on ANT1 and the AG switches according to (personally) unknown criteria. 

As George suggested, connect 40M to 6700 ANT1 physical connector, 20M to 6700 ANT2 connector, and 80M to any of RXA/RXB/XVTR and experiment.  You will see the panadapter antenna selection change as they are added.  Experiment until my Rule 1 makes sense.

Then complicate things with the AG. 

Other members? - Please explain how the AG functions in this environment with 3 antennas connected through 2 switched ports, to a dual SCU 6700 and only 1 panadapter with TX red indicator lit.

Stan VA7NF

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    If you have reviewed the Antenna Genius Owners Manual For FlexRadio and you still have questions, I recommend contacting AG support (Force12) for assistance. 

https://force12.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/202697208-4O3A-Signature

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.