Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Another quick video on Wide Noise Blanker performance against powerline noise.

David Decoons, wo2x
David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Came home this afternoon to powerline noise on 40 meters. Thought band was dead until I kicked on the wide noise blanker. Band was **** but at least there were stations I could hear once the noise was knocked down.

https://youtu.be/CXo4hYKqIVM

I've used the WNB against this powerline noise in the past and have seen up to a 30 dB drop in my noise floor when it was engaged (I've got other videos of it in action on YouTube.

Dave wo2x

Comments

• Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited June 2020
    I wish mine worked. It never has.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Wow... I will have to see if mine works like that.  I've never used it.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    That's just wild... makes me wish I had power line noise again so I can wipe it out with the WNB... JUST KIDDING!!!

Ria
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    :-)

I only have wideband highly characterized noise in December and early January then it stops for another 10.5 months
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Really amazing!!
  • Tom Hoflich
    Tom Hoflich Member
    edited June 2017
    Very impressive. Noise abatement of any kind on my 6500 has never worked in any situation.  Very sad.  But I love everything else.  73 Tom KM5H

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2017
    Howard, the wide noise blanket is effective on powerline noise where the whole noise floor rises as you can see in the video. I find I need to run WNB level at 92 for best effectiveness. Dave
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Christmas related Tim :)   Quit decorating the house and entire yard with lights and switches etc.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    It is the farm 1000' to the south that decorates their barn in festive lights and sells Xmas trees.
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited June 2017
    Hi Dave. It does nothing for me other than to add noise even when set at low levels. I wish it functioned like that for me. I get better dsp with my Elad. The flex guys have tried to get things working by team viewer but no good. If you want to give it a try let me know. Haven't heard you on 75 in a while.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2017
    I guess it depends on the type of noise. Powerline noise typically presents where the whole noise floor raises vs humps or spurs. The WNBis not very effective against the "Humps" of noise.

My neighbors that I do not get along with got one of the new efficient washing machines and you have to see the racket it causes on 40 meters. Only thing that "might" help with that is either break their washing machine or possibly the MFJ1026 to phase cancel the noise.

I'm on 3.814 now and in the next two weeks I should be a lot more radio active during the day.

73 Dave wo2x
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    My washer in agitate was causing issues on my maestro until i put 3 mix 31 chokes on the washers 220 line, cleared it right up.
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited June 2017
    My noise is 24/7. The wnb NB don't do anything. I'm heading up to new York in the morning. I think the 68 crew are now on 49 due to the AMers on 72
  • Doug Seyler
    Doug Seyler Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Got on this afternoon and had S9+ noise on all bands. Turned on WNB at setting 97 and noise dropped to S7, which allowed normal QSOs. Not magic, but darned sure amazing! If I set WNB at 99-100, though, it blocks all signals. I'd suggest an inverse log scale (expanded scale at upper end), so that one had better control at the high settings.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    WNB does nothing to my s-7 line noise on 160m...i have to turn it down a LOT, or spurrs occur every 10 khz or so...

i MAY try a bpf on my rx antenna..since FRS says it cuts across an entire slice rx...0 to 15 Mhz, when i'm on 160?

who says my line noise is uniform across that freq range??

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2017
    Hi Ross,

try raising the WNB level and the noise floor should stabilize. Looks like your setting is just on the edge. I find for me a level of 92 is sometimes needed. Anything over 96 or so starts to degrade the receiver. 98 or higher is unusable.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.