Announcing the FLEX-15000 Signature Series Transceiver

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago

FlexRadio is pleased to announce immediate availability of the FLEX-15000 Signature Series transceiver - the first heavy metal, direct sampling superhet SDR (researched by FlexRadio among major manufacturers).  Weighing in at 52 lbs (23.6 kg) it brings most knobs ever (39!) to the front panel of a SDR.  We even left just enough room for a real time panadapter/waterfall on its built in 1 inch by 3.75 inch TFT LCD display.  

The FLEX-15000 incorporates a powerful 32-bit DSP chip with firmware that can be updated occasionally over the its built-in USB 2.0 port making it a true superhet SDR.   We even added a real analog meter with that warm incandescent glow that we all remember so nostalgically at night in our youth.  

Priced at $14,999.99 the FLEX-15000 comes in at just under $385 per knob or $288 per pound ($636/kg).  The radio ships with a collapsible dolly and a wrap around back brace for easy portability.  

Order yours today so you will be the first in your club to own a real heavy metal, direct sampling superhet SDR.  Supplies are limited so hurry!
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 809 Posts
  • 1460 Reply Likes
  • Awesome!

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dave Skinner

Dave Skinner

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I need to order one to replace all my Collins and Johnson gear!
WA5IMF
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 601 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
Thanks Gerald, I need a good April fools joke, hi, hi....
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 221 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
It looks wonderful Gerald! Something for everyone. But what kind of mike connector does it have? <GGG>! And does that price include the optional trailer hitch for the dolly?

(Happy April Fools Day to all at FLEX!) 

-Dave
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 808 Posts
  • 1459 Reply Likes
Your choice of 8-pin Foster, RJ-45, XLR, 1/4" phone, 1/8" phone and binding posts.

No, the trailer hitch is extra.
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 900 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Put me down for two!
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1001 Posts
  • 356 Reply Likes
Two!?  I'll take 8... one for each band I feel like working.
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 900 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Please don't use the "W" word like that! I 'm not interested in a radio that requires effort!
Photo of Bill N5TU

Bill N5TU

• 50 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I hope the DSP runs in octal! Showing my age. <grin>
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 808 Posts
  • 1459 Reply Likes
Binary with toggle switches and LEDs like the Altair 8800, which was my very first PC.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1000 Posts
  • 356 Reply Likes
Ah man... you had the cool one.  I had to build jumpers insert them then throw my only switch to latch the code in.   Only took a month to program 32 bytes!
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 287 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
The first one I played with had 4 kB of core. Expensive but you could list it as optional for the 15000!
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
Too funny Gerald!
Photo of Dave -- W7IWW

Dave -- W7IWW

• 68 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
After running the now outdated 6700 for two whole years, I too want to be on the bleeding edge of SDR. Because of the incredible value we have come to appreciate from FlexRadio Systems, I must hope my order for TWO Flex 15000s will be on their way soon. Can hardly wait. Does the price include a handheld mic, power supply, etc, and do they come with two years warranty, and free shipping? Just curious, but certainly not a deal breaker if it comes barebones. And finally, does the recent Trade-up plan apply? Heck, that doesn't matter either. Please, just get my radios on their way.
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 809 Posts
  • 1460 Reply Likes
I comes with a D104 mic, 2-year warranty but the shipping is not included because it weighs to much for us to foot the bill.  We had to invest in a pallet jack to pick them up.  

Yes, the Trade_In! plan does apply.
Photo of Dave -- W7IWW

Dave -- W7IWW

• 68 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Super. Flex gold standard for service continues.
Photo of Steve Gw0gei

Steve Gw0gei

• 192 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Does it do so2r?
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 808 Posts
  • 1459 Reply Likes
It does 1r/knob.
Photo of N9VC

N9VC

• 116 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
The matching knobs are a classy touch.
Photo of Neal - K3NC

Neal - K3NC, Elmer

• 440 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
There is room for at least one more knob so it also has that "rig for life" option!
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 808 Posts
  • 1459 Reply Likes
The extra knob can be added through firmware update. A little door opens and the knob pops out.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4007 Posts
  • 1233 Reply Likes
You didn't mention power output...is there a QRP model available?
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 808 Posts
  • 1459 Reply Likes
Not when it weighs 52 pounds.
Photo of Neal - K3NC

Neal - K3NC, Elmer

• 440 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
It will look good replacing my old AM/FM receiver in the Hummer...
Photo of N9VC

N9VC

• 116 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
With the trade-up plan, would you take an used automobile?
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 808 Posts
  • 1459 Reply Likes
Drive it in or push it in - we will take it.
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 788 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
I'm waiting for the Sherwood review before throwing away, investing, spending that much money on a "knobbed" radio.....   Is there even a usb port to add the external Flex Tuning knob.
(Edited)
Photo of Corey/ KC0YNS

Corey/ KC0YNS

• 106 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Happy April Fools to all the Flex team.........Waiting anxiously for the Maestro release... 
Photo of Chuck

Chuck

• 55 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I wanna see the back...If it has an bakelite 8 pin octal socket rather than USB I will order one.
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 808 Posts
  • 1459 Reply Likes
Good idea!  I think my CE 20A had one of those on the back.  We can do a custom mod for you.
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 221 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Saw my first 20A in action abt 1957 and knew immediately that Ham Radio had changed forever. Had that same feeling several years ago with a Peaberry V2 so sold most everything heavy and started collecting FLEX'. <GGG>.
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 808 Posts
  • 1459 Reply Likes
The 20A was my first SSB exciter in 1978 or so.  It looked almost just like the new FLEX-15000 with about the same number of knobs.  Maybe we could put an electric eye like it had on the next Flex model.
Photo of Dave - W6OVP

Dave - W6OVP

• 221 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Works for me. I always was a sucker for that green magic eye tube. Or any waterfall nowdays...
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 579 Posts
  • 121 Reply Likes
We definitely need the octal socket to plug in the BC-458 Maestro!
(Edited)
Photo of Kevin Va3KGS

Kevin Va3KGS

• 96 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Gerald, you are now thinking to far outside of the box !!

Cheers

Kevin

Photo of Jon  W1JDB

Jon W1JDB

• 146 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
One item on my wish list apparently didn't make it - Do all the knobs go up to 11? (spoken with a Britt accent of course).
Photo of Paul Bradbeer

Paul Bradbeer

• 154 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
That must be Britt Ekland.....so a Swedish accent then ;-)
BTW with our 26dBW power limit, most Brits (one 't') don't need to turn their knobs past about 6....let alone 11. Oh to be back in San Antonio again.... M0CVX and ex-AC5NO
Photo of Ken ve7kwa

Ken ve7kwa

• 101 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
So with the Flex 15000 announcement, the obvious questions are :   When will you release a Road Map for the radio ?  I for one am tired of waiting... B)   And also... is there any truth to the rumor that it will delay  Maestro...   B^P
Photo of KK9W - Steve

KK9W - Steve

• 632 Posts
  • 190 Reply Likes
Looks a lot like the TS990 I had except it is sharper
Photo of Gary L. Robinson

Gary L. Robinson

• 246 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
I was a little late seeing this post BUT really appreciated it hihi. And I really like the extra small panadapter so I can't tell much of what is going on. Just saves me lots of calories not having to try and interpret it. One last item though - does it have spark gap as a mode? Can that be implemented in SDR?

---Gary WB8ROL
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 601 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
LOL....  spark gap, thats good Gary....
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
Does it come with a Flex Boy colander hat and goggles?  Maybe I can run it by metal errr mental telepathy.  The screen certainly is touchable, but does touching it do anything?

73  W9OY