Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Android App

Comments

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I added filter marks on the tune display.  A light opaque fill is between the lines.  Here is a quick video showing how they work and look.  Please excuse the bad video and the noise.  My son is playing his video game on a plasma TV.  URRGGHH those things are noisy!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx568FYttz4

• M0GVZ
    M0GVZ Member
    edited June 2015
    Well it certainly looks like you got over the problems you were having trying to work out how to do a waterfall a few weeks ago. There seems to be no stopping you now :D
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    Very nice, indeed!  

I heard a story of a plasma that was installed at a contest station before anyone knew what they were like.  When one of the ops decided to sit an watch TV for a little relief, the station owner yells "Hey who turned on the lawn mower!?!"
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    LOL, it really destroys all bands.  Its the worst thing I have encountered.  He is not allowed to turn it on on contest weekends :)

But I'm to cheap to replace it LOL.  Luckily its just in his game room for occasional gaming.  The rest of the TV's have been replaced with new LED.

William
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    These videos do not do the waterfall justice.  For some reason video cameras, wash out the waterfall colors, and over expose it.  The waterfall really looks good in person.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Here is an HD video.  Colors still washed out, but better representation.    Audio you are hearing is DAX.  Still no luck with OPUS.  But DAX sounds real good.

Near the end of the video I am adjusting the MAX/MIN dbm which in my app adjust waterfall gain/black level.

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Looks great, William, but should say Panafall...;-)
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Doh!!

I just through stuff on the screen.  Not much rhyme or reason behind the layout now.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    hey william, will i be plugging my CMD micro into the android ??

great job !

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    No, although I could make that happen, Its not exactly practical.

William
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    Looking at your spectrum display, it appears that each pixel in the display is repeated twice with the same value.  Are you telling the radio your correct display size and then correctly plotting what it sends you?
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Steve, Good eye, but still wonder how you saw that.  This is due to scaling.  I currently have a static X value or 1400, but my display is 2560.  I am just scaling the data to fit my screen.

I do however plan to eventually request the the panadapter x value base on actual screen pixel width, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Still wondering how in the world you could tell from the photo..LOL

William
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    Oh you know how it is -- you work with something a long time you can spot all kinds of things other people would miss.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Since I have your attention,  I'm trying to get DAX TX working.  For some reason I just cant get it to work.. 

I form the payload of floating point -1:1.  I can play this data with the same decoder that is currently working to listen to DAX from the radio.

But for some reason the radio just does not seem to like it!  I created a VRT header with these hex bytes:

18d501078400000000001c2d543c03e3000000000000000000000000

Then append 1024 bytes of floating points.

I then send this to the radio on UDP 4994 (this is the port I use "
    client udpport 4994")

I have verified dax=1 in TX setting, dax_tx=1 in slice settings,
    and dax channel is set. But when I MOX I get no output at all.

I forced the UDP packets to the IP of my computer and was able to
    decode them fine. Is there something in the VRT header that I'm
    missing? I just copied the header used by DAX on my PC.

Wireshark classified my packets as VRT49 with correct class and stream ID, so I'm lost.

Any ideas?
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited February 2018
    Its gone awful quiet here, hope all is well William...I updated my tab4 to lollipop the other day in eager anticipation..hihi
    Cheers
    Paul
    gi4fzd
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    To be honest, I have stalled out a bit on the Audio portion.  DAX RX works, but I can't seem to get TX to work.  My question above has gone unanswered.

I have not given up, just taking a step back and working on other projects for a bit
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited June 2016
    Great stuff. I hope you will get the answer soon.Keep up the good work,an rx only version would nice too.
    cheers
    Paul
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    We have a debug command to find out what the issue is, but it's not available in the code you have unfortunately.  It would identify what is happening to your VITA-49 packets.  We could look into making this code available somehow in the production code in the future, but I don't have a real good solution today.

Also, DAX is really the wrong way to do transmit code.  We will be adding an uncompressed TX/RX port for mic audio soon though.  This could be used instead of Opus if you like.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Steve,

Very interesting!  Will this be a feature of 1.5 or before?  When you say uncompressed, will this be PCM or Floating point?

Thanks

William
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Guys,
    Can one purchase a copy of the app as I would like to use it on my galaxy tab2 10" tablet via wifi or bluetooth to control the powerSDR software. Please contact me via my email address
    thanks

• M0GVZ
    M0GVZ Member
    edited June 2015
    Sometimes you need to walk away for a bit as you get to a point you can't see the wood for the trees. Inevitably on return the solution immediately presents itself usually accompanied by a slap on the forehead and calling oneself a muppet for not seeing it earlier.

You've gone a very long way in a short amount of time. 
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Thanks!  Yes I have stepped away and decided to spend my time building an engine instead.  I will get back to it again shortly.

Also kind of waiting to see what Steve was talking about above on a new uncompressed audio that will be coming out.
  • Scott - WM7C
    Scott - WM7C Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I hope your engine is done.  :)
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Engine is done, but I'm still waiting on this new uncompressed audio solution Steve was talking about. I have hit a wall with opus William
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William, Great see you back, we missed you. Hope you're your R&R was good!
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi William, nice to see you back here, love your pawprint ;-)
    C'mon you opus programmers, help William to get his app ready....
    I had a look here http://opus-codec.org/ , but I'm not much of a programmer,
    did a bit of JAVA but not much more.
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    FYI we have the uncompressed audio working in the lab now, but it is designed primarily for use by a logger or voice keyer. It uses something like 40x the bandwidth of Opus. For a remote app, I recommend using Opus.
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    William, Is the Opus codec included in Android 5.0 any good for an intermediate solution until you get yours up?
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    The android OPUS has very little documentation.  I am unable to get it to work.  Maybe once the documentation catches up.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.