Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Android App

Comments

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Not yet. The app has limited functionality. I still have a lot of work to do on the controls. While the waterfall works great, I still need to recreate the controls to operate it. William
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    At this point it's almost certain that we will be including a K1EL Winkeyer in Maestro, FYI.  

Your control looks cool, Enzo -- I'd love to see a video of it in action!
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the update. You're doing a good job.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I implemented swipe tuning.  I have to fine tune it, but its a successful test.  Sorry about the terrible video!

• James Whiteway
    edited May 2015
    William, can you zoom the display with gestures too?
    james
    WD5GWY

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Looking good! A few performance ideas you probably have already thought of.... Touch and swipe = move the panadapter. Double tap = touch-tune slice to this frequency. Touch, hold, and swipe = move slice to this frequency and slide frequency with finger movement. Pinch or spread = zoom adjustment. Single tap = toggle swipe mode between shift frequency and shift panadapter. Just a few possibilities.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    James yes, pinch zoom is working.

Ken here is my plan

The touch functions differently on the panadapter then the waterfall.  I did this so I wouldn't need any toggles.

1.  Pinch/spread in the panadapter area unzoom/zoom.  (working)
    2.  Swiping in the panadapter area shifts the panfall left right (not implemented yet)
    3.  swipe in waterfall area shifts frequency.  (working)
    4.  Snap tuning (working for 250hz, more steps eventually)
    5.  Panfall max/min dbm adjustment, works like gain/blacklevel (working)

And the list goes on forever LOL

For #2 I need to make some changes to how I draw the screen.

All of this is just testing and getting a foundation.  As I said earlier, I will be redoing the UI completely.  I'm just testing snippets of code that will go into the final product.

While DAX is working great, its a constant 1.3mbps stream.  For testing I turned on DAX on the PC, and DAX on the android.  For some reason the PC has a much larger lag than the android.  I would have expected the opposite, but Its a good thing I guess.  But I really need to get OPUS figured out before I go much further.  I could play with DAX TX, which shouldn't be too hard.  But I would rather focus that time on OPUS.

The more I progress, the more I realize I need to do :) 
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited December 2016
    Love it!
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Thanks Steve!  Its been a fun project.  But so much to do.  So little time!
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    too cool, william!  sign me up !!

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Don't get too exited, its far from useable. Currently there is no band switching, actually no adjustments of any kind LOL.  Its just a waterfall with audio, hard coded to 20m USB.  But the controls will be added in time.  I'm designing a new tabbed UI so I can add in the controls.  But my focus is on getting OPUS audio/TX working first.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    How many activities/fragments are you up to now? Did you not get the email I sent?
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    will my at&t S-5 running Lollipop 5.0 need root privileges william?

GREAT STUFF!

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Walt,  no I didnt get your email.  Try again

lee.hemmingsen@gmail.com

Dan,  No no root required

William
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Very cool - this is the same phone I have.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    There was an interesting article in the NYT the other day in their technology section. What was interesting was the article, which was written by an Apple fanboy, rather the comments, which largely called him out for being a well known Apple fanboy. They did mention that the nice thing about Android was, aside from being free, did not require rooting or otherwise jailbreaking.
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited June 2016
    Maybe we will have an iphone7 running on android..just like we have osX running on intel cpus now..Ha!!
    cheers
    Paul
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I don't know why Apple dropped PowerPC, I thought that had loads of promise over what Intel and AMD were doing. I remember at the time people were shocked Apple dumped IBM in favor of Intel.
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited June 2016
    I remember it well too!
    cheers
    Paul
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    William, sent it twice now.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Got it this time
  • Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William, I'd really enjoy testing on a Note 3, if you are ready for feedback yet. Thanks, Bob@w7kws.com
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hello, it is a great idea a K1EL keyer inside Maestro!
    Don't like to take the scene to William's masterpiece but here is my control at work during a dx-pedition shoot. It seems smooth and reliable and meters are simply fabulous.

73'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTA3E0qdD0I

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Good ideas, William. 
    Are you going to allow changing the proportion of pan vs. waterfall?  My preference is to have about a 50/50 split on SSB because I like to zoom in and watch people's voice patterns.  (I'm weird that way).  In any case, the display is looking very nice!  As I have said before, you have taken this programming way past anything I have ever done.  I need to get back to my MIDI controller project soon.  But I need to finish my tower project first!

Keep up the good work.  If it gets any better, I may have to look for an android tablet!  I already have an iPad Air.  (I don't know if I can sneak another tablet past my XYL!)

Ken - NM9P
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken, I own a Galaxy Tab S (SM-T800), which was a present by my wife Beatriz DD5JZ.... ;-)
  • M0GVZ
    M0GVZ Member
    edited February 2018
    Hi William. I've been following this with great interest. The Panfall 6 video certainly looked like the kind of layout I would expect on a tablet version, possibly with the ability to switch to a Panfall 7 type based layout with some of the main controls down one side.

From what I can see it looks like it is reaching quite a complete application and certainly the Panfall 6 with DAX working would be something I would be well and truly willing to pay for. 

Projects like this always make me wish I'd chosen the software rather than hardware path with computers many years ago when I was faced with that particular fork in the road.

Thank you for all the work you're doing on this. 
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for the kind words.  While Dax works well, it suffers from the issues DAX had with SSDR 1.38, periodic choppy audio.  On a fast network this is very minimal, but I would like to get the OPUS remote audio working instead.

This app will most likely be fairly basic, as in a single slice, single panadapter, and phone only.  But that could change with time.  The main thing is "time", I just dont have any LOL

William
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ken,

I have not even thought about that.  Currently I have it hard coded at 30/70.  But I'm sure I could make it variable.

William.

• Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi William,

My experience with VOIP on cellular networks is mixed depending on ping times so you might want to account for this as you work on Opus. A standard phone call to my rig works best from my AT&T cell phone as they have optimized this channel for voice & use the AMR codec which isn't too bad when faced with a noisy channel. CDMA (Verizon) works very poorly in the face of noise.

As for the data channel & VOIP, Verizon LTE is quite good at 30 to 60 msec. Ping times around my area. AT&T is OK @ 60+ msec. Cricket, which is an AT&T owned MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) on the same towers runs their data through one of several proxies as do most other MVNOs such as Straight Talk. I've seen ping times all over the place but usually in excess of 200 msec. At these delay times most SIP clients I've used won't register or, if they do, the connection is unstable. RemoteRig is useless on Straight Talk but very reliable on Verizon. Both RemoteRig & half a dozen SIP clients I've experimented with offer a variety of codec choices. I've tried them all. My favorite is G711u which is toll quality & pretty much lossless. It uses around 80 kbits/Sec.

By the way, I too will gladly purchase a copy of what you have achieved. I look forward to seeing it in the Play Store as soon as you are ready. You have certainly made a phenomenal start.

I love the CMD Micro & if this works as well, you can't miss.

Best regards,

Bob, W7KWS

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.