Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Android App

Options

Comments

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Here is the latest.  Its not pretty, but I will spend pretty time on android.  I think I have the basic concept down.  Now to figure out the Opus :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i98ckWJ_0Qg

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    What I was saying William is to separate processing of the packet from receiving the packet. AWT is also not your best choice. That won't do GPS. However, if you used JavaFX8, it would use Prism which mediates the technology used.image
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ah Gotcha!  I'll research it
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Well, that may not be a design goal for you whereas it is for me. I could actually take this and convert it to Android but I think what I will do with Android is an Android specific UI.  Gotta research drawing a 16bit line, hmmm. Actually, DAH?, what the graphics context takes is a float anyway so I will have to convert the short to a float. That DAH was 0x000c is a short.

William, the Android will definitely do OpenGL which definitely will do GPS..at least in Android L or 5.x. For people with older devices, I don't know. They could upgrade to 5.x. I think I will base my Android on 22, it picked up the Material L&F which has some very nice effects.

Are you using Android Studio? Android Studio allows you to either send the app to the device or emulate it in a vm.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I believe there was a third option Steve, earlier versions of SSDR would process the data in the receiveUDP callback whereas now Eric simply adds it to a queue, as I was pointing out to William, and processing each in a non-IO thread. Once that changed I no longer had an issue. In fact, the only time I did have an issue was if the monitor slept and when it woke up it would be like hyperdrive (my thread of similar name) trying to catch up but there were no UDP interrupts so just mostly blank lines came out. Again, after the queue change all is fine.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't have any huge objection to history, I just didn't want an infinitely long waterfall. Aside from that, thank you Steve. I haven't tried processing the FFT or waterfall data as I am still working on final layout.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I am using Android Studio
  • G4YDO
    G4YDO Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    hi,  great work. i have it working on my samsung 8 phone, apart from no audio. i think i must be doing something wrong?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    https://github.com/chriswhocodes/DemoFX
    download the zip, build with ant
    ./run.sh -s true

the difference between hardware acceleration  and software acceleration is 61fps v 30fps, still better than the 24 I believe SSDR has.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi William,

Can I also be in the beta test list?

Thanks!

• MikeMeeks
    MikeMeeks Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Me too.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    If you actually read through this William says where he is putting stuff.

"Let me know the good and the bad :)  But please don't ask how to load it.  Google it"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vvwcf82xkper3w/app-debug.apk?dl=0

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I added a small video running the app in my shack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VawEewpyQIs

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks Walt. I realized a few minutes after I posted. Still, if William wants/needs any beta testers I am game!
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @Sal, that's kind of cool. I am confused though. What was driving the the two monitors? Was this with SSDR driving the monitors and William's android app moving the frequency? You were turning the dial on the Nexus as well as the Flex Control
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yeah, I need a tripod or someone to record me. I was using my cellphone so i had to keep going up and down. Couldn't get a wide angle shot with everything.

I was using both, William's app most of the time and then the Flex control at the end for comparison.

And yes, ssdr out of a laptop is running on both monitors.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I got a pan-adapter successfully run on android.  It was much tougher than on the PC using java.  This is just a dry run, I have much more work to do.  I need to streamline the methods to speed everything up.  But I'm pretty darn chuffed its working at all.

The jerkyness is my phones recording.  Not the App

William
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yes that's very nice indeed
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Very, very cool, William!
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Simply great! The wild horse is nearly tamed :)
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    William great work. Thanks

Still only one wish. Please can you add in file name some info for what device (Android or CMD...)  and version numbering? It help's us if we download and store more then one file. Thanks
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    William, How are you handling bidrectional notifications and events?
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Another question I have is how married to Processing are you? When I mentioned JavaFX8 before, it natively uses GPU via Prism and you can move the app to any platform via the Gradle build script. That zip file will demonstrate between run.sh and softrun,sh the difference in performance by offloading the graphics to the gpu vs doing it in source. Something to think about.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Walt,

I'm still researching this, as its new to me.  I am having performance issues between threads.  Even using parallel processing, one thread still hangs because of the other.

I'm currently running two parallel Asynctask.  One for handling tcp read/writes.  And another for UDP reads.  My issue is not the graphics.  Turning all screen writes off, does not stop the hangs.  The problem lies with the network read/write routines.

Both asyntask are in an infinite loop, constantly listing for incoming data.  if one thread is processing data the other is hung.

I'm not completely sure how to solve this.  I thought runing them in seperate threads would solve the issue.  But it doesn't.

Open to ideas on this.

William
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    try this:

void startMyTask(AsyncTask asyncTask) {
        if(Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= Build.VERSION_CODES.HONEYCOMB)
            asyncTask.executeOnExecutor(AsyncTask.THREAD_POOL_EXECUTOR, params);
        else
            asyncTask.execute(params);
    }

In early versions of Android, if you had multiple asyncTasks only one would run at a time, exactly what you are describing. This tests for the version of Android and dispatches the asycTasks accordingly.

Or, upgrade to 5.x
    Actually, I am glad you told me that as, I am running on 5.x but when it goes to GooglePlay it may be downloaded to an earlier version so I will do the same when I have asyncTasks.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Walt,

I'm already doing this.  But its not working as I expected.  For some reason the Asynctask are still affecting the performance of the other.  Adding thread.sleep for a few ms in each, held some, but I still get hangs.

William
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

Not familiar with Android dispatcher but very familiar with async processing.  "constantly listening for incoming data" infers that you have two threads each without a wait.  With a single processor the dispatcher will run each thread until a break then dispatch the other thread.

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Stan,

Thanks,  how would you go about fixing this.  Any ideas?

William
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    As I don't know what hardware or version of Android William has I can't say definitively you are wrong but I am almost positive you are wrong. The days of 'waiting' in a spin loop are about 20 years past. Android derives from Linux and Linux is a multi threaded kernel. The thread listening for IO from the TCP/IP stack is in a wait, this gives any other thread an opportunity to run. Ultimately the thread is blocked  waiting on the main OS's TCP/IP stack. when an packet arrives for that port the thread is marked runnable. The concept of Executor is new in Java5 Even if there was but a single process that was time slicing multiple threads each thread would still get access to the cpu, so long as it was runnable. William, you aren't doing anything with synchronization are you? That could be killing you. I don't believe you are blocked where you think you are blocked.

What version of Android are you running and what is the tablet manufacturer and model? Also, if you go to settings->about and look for model, version, and kernel. You should be able to model what is happening in the VM emulation. Is it possible to copy the code running under asychTask?
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm doing quite a bit or array manipulation in the UI thread.  I have quite a few methods to manipulate and parse data.  All of which run in UI thread.  I think this is the root of my problem.  The data is coming in so fast, the UI thread is hanging processing the data.

I think I need to move all this to separate threads.  But that is a bit of work that will take some time.

William

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.