Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Android App

Comments

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Thanks!
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Strictly speaking I didn't mean cast it, more wrap it. In the case of Android, I don't believe you can do that. You may have to create a bitmap from those values using the BitmapFactory.decodeByteArray(data, 0, data.length) and  then draw the bitmap.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ok Guys,  I should have a version to test by Monday
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Ok Guys,  I should have a version to test by Monday
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Its far from done, but if you have a 10" android tablet, your welcome to test what I have so far.  You must enable developer mode.  Copy the apk to your tablet and install.  If you don't know how to side load apps on android, please Google it!

Also, please don't post that it doesn't work on your phone or 7" tablet.  I already know that LOL.  This only works on 10" screens.  And not even 100+ sure it will work on all 10" screens :)

AGC fast/slow/med/off buttons not yet mapped.  Neither is the lock or +RX button.  All else should be working.

The slider above the large tune wheel is to set dial sensitivity.  All the way to right is less sensitive, all the way to left is more sensitive.  I suggest you use larger step if you want to move fast, and leave the sensitivity slider as low as you can and still easily tune without overshooting.  It takes a little getting used to, but once you get used to it, its easy.

Initial radio discovery will cause a small pause during app load.  This a side thread, but the UI can't continue until an IP is returned.  If the app locks up and never loads, then it can't find your radio. 

Let me know the good and the bad :)  But please don't ask how to load it.  Google it :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vvwcf82xkper3w/app-debug.apk?dl=0

William

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    If you were referring to me William, I only have a Nexus 9 I am using for my development. Come about 95 the world pretty much shifted away from **** clients (that would be standalone apps like OS/2 PM and Windows MFC) in favor of thin clients (that would be browser based apps). While, at that time, I did little in the UI space, beyond a couple years immediately following 9-11 when I did an incredibly spiffy http browser hosted multi-tabbed applet for a company in St Louis. Since that time I have done multiple HTML-5 enterprise applications. So it's been a while since I've done a **** client. The trick is designing a completely portable foundation library that will work on all platforms. Beyond that it is just wiring the pieces and building the web services.  Android (and iPad) pose some unique challenges but incredible opportunities that are best left to release time.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William, my tablet is a Samsung SM-T800 10,5" AMOLED-Tablet and of course the buttons are not in the right place on the screen (2506x1600 pixels).
    But the tablet recognizes my 6500 at once and MOX/VOX/Tune etc. buttons work! Great!
    Maybe one day there will be a version for 10.5" tablets ;-)

BTW I found this:
    http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html

73, Alex DH2ID

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Alex the layout is landscape.  Open the app while the the screen is in landscape mode.  The App locks the orientation on open.  So make sure you open it while its in landscape mode.

If you open the App while the screen is in portrait, this happens.  It should work fine on a 10.5".  This is a bug I have yet to resolve.

But for now, turn turn that sucker sideways and relaunch the APP LOL

William

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William, we all had a good laugh here!!! Of course...turning automatic
    screen orientation off did it!
    Now it looks great.
    You can tell that I'm a better ham than android op!!!
    73 and thanks a lot,
    Alex DH2ID
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Reinstall this version, it forces landscape mode.  If you open in portrait, it will auto switch to landscape. 

If you like reverse landscape, as in some tablets (like mine) have the **** usb on the bottom, so to use it on a stand, I need reverse landscape.

Anyway if you want reverse lanscape, just open the app in while in that orientation.  If you open in any other orientation, it will now switch to regular landscape to avoid the portrait mess in Alex's pic above :)

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Forcing landscape did it for me. Now even I have an uncluttered screen.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I know how to make it work with multiple screen  sizes, i just have not made the effort yet.   I will get around to it once I'm happy with the operation.

William
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Of course getting the app to work with multiple screens is not easy,
    because resizing and scaling can cause bad effects with fonts etc.
    It must be quite late in the night on your side now 8-)
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    More like early morn :).  Back to bed for me :)  Anyway, play with the App and let me know how its working.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    The App should now also work on 7" tablets, albeit the controls will be smaller.  But your welcome to try it.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/3vvwcf82xkper3w/app-debug.apk?dl=0
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    All Buttons are now mapped, so all onscreen functions should work now.  Also anyone with a 7" android tablet.  Let me know if it works.

William

• Karl KB2AS
    Karl KB2AS Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Fantastic job. Loads on the 7" tablet with no issues. NR and ANF worked in the earlier version, appears to be not working in this version, so are the sliders for each. The text for Main Vol is cut in half, still readable. A suggestion, TX Low and TX High are not commonly used, that real estate be allocated to something else.
    I was unable to install it on a 10" Asus tablet, parsing error, but loads fine on the 7" tablets.

73 and thanks,
    Karl
    KB2AS 
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    This version works on my Samsung S T-800 10,1" Tablet.
    Looks good, all buttons work, runs stable.
    Although the knobs look great I would prefer sliders, as they occupy less space
    and are easier to set than knobs. You could then put the TX filter slider below
    the RX filter one. I think a long slider at screen bottom occupying the whole screen width would be great for frequency tuning and addition of a RF power slider or knob would be great also.
    For those who prefer knobs to sliders an option to change them could be a solution.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Let me go borrow my son's 7" and I'll get it working.  I personally use the TX high low often.  But open for suggestions on what to put in its place that would get used more.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Also for the parse error on your 10", make sure you have at least Android version 4.3.  If not it will not work.  In about device is the settings menu, it will tell you the version.  And most likely an option to auto update.

William
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I found the issue with the 7"layout.  Your 7" must have a software navigation bar at the bottom.  This cause objects linked to the bottom of the frame to get distorted and or pushed up.  Your tune dial is probably oval also :)

I will have to do some more tweaking so I can get objects are not affected on tablets with an onscreen nav bar.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    This copy has an updated 7" layout.  Everything works and looks fine on my 7"

• James Whiteway
    edited May 2020
    Works great on my 7" Nexus 7 tablet. It's a bit cramped for some of the controls. Might go to Best Buy and get one of the $79 10" tablets they have. Otherwise, fine job. As I stated about the USB controller software, you are very prolific in development. A simple to use Android app is what I had in mind (along with a couple of other things). You have beat me to it and done a good job!
    Congratulations on a job well done!
    james
    WD5GWY
     Forgot to add, I like the knobs. Looks really cool and a bit old school too!
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Good deal.  Gad its working for you.  Its been a fun project.   I'm slowing leaning more and more each day.
  • James Whiteway
    edited April 2015
    One quick question. What is the slider above the tuning control for? I move it and do not see or hear, any changes. Other than that, it seems everything works good.
    james
    WD5GWY

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Yes its really meant as for a 10" or larger.  I built it for myself, as a project.  I'm in the processing of learning, and doing this really helps. Love the feedback, as it increases the learning process.

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    The slider above the main tuning wheel, controls the sensitivity of the dials.  All the way to the right is less sensitive.  All the way to the left is more sensitive.  Sliding it all the way to the left allows you to tune faster, but up makes the dials very touchy,  When its too far left, its hard to tune an exact freq.  Your likely to overshoot.

Set it to a level that makes it easy to not overshoot your desired frequency.  And then just use step sizes if you want to move fast.

Willaim
  • James Whiteway
    edited April 2015
    Cool ! Makes sense now. Is there a label for the control that might be covered up on my 7" tablet?
    james
    WD5GWY

• W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    No there is no label for that
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    This is a really cool App and you made a lot of progress in short time!  I am blown away...  Runs on a Nexus 7 w/o any problems.   

A minor nit-pick would be the NR and NB are swapped compared to the S-SDR UI.

I am also using Sound Wire to deliver audio to the table so now complete receiver control / listening ability is possible. 

An ask on my part would be to add CW mode button.  

A huge ...  HUGE ... ask is to add a SWL mode, that is toggle out the ham bands buttons to give the SWL bands.  Perhaps adding the SAM mode selection and make that selection change the bands from ham to SWL.  
    Then, any other mode selection (USB / DIG etc) would revert back to the Ham bands.

Did I mention great job? !

Thanks for posting the APK.

Best,
    Tim

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.