Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

An approach to remotely control your 6700 now with third party products today.

Watts - K4QJZ
Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
As a past designer of remote operating radios and transceivers for professional and USG users the first rule is keep the interface simple. The second is think about what the radio does when the connection is lost. A good example of a well thought out product for both amateur and commercial use can be seen at www.Remoterig.com. Many ham are using this product with software such as Ham Radio Deluxe if there rig is computer controllable. If you consider using products such as "Log me In" for control of a PC running the Flex software and "remoterig"for push to talk, high quality audio paths and CW, you can remote your rig now. I have already gotten mine working this way. It works with an iPad as well, but running using the iPad does not work well for me due to screen/touch issues. It requires a PC on the radio end or Mac running PC VM software such as Parallel to run the flex software. There are many other ways to do this that can be debated as to pros and cons. Beside the high quality audio supplied by the Remoterig product, he understoods what to do about radios in transmit mode when a connection is lost, folks who do have a dedicated IP address, etc. is why I chose this route till Flex is ready. If you need remote capability now, give this a try, K4QJZ, Watts

Comments

• Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I just got my Flex and am also using the RRC1258 for remote control (out to the garage). I'm getting a lot of background hiss on the receive audio. The RRC seems to want speaker level rather than line level for the audio input. Have you found a workaround? I've tried adjusting Codec Inp Gain on the RRC and I can make the signal louder, but the hiss is present even when the Flex volume is set to minimum. I'm using the Linear 16bit/24 kHz codec with 10ms packet size. Have you worked out microphone and PTT wiring between the RRC and the Flex?
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    For the record on microphone cabling with the RRC. No custom cabling needed. Jumper the RRC1258 per the "Yaesu in general" directions Radio RRC to Flex6k: use the Flex-supplied 8-pin mic to RJ45 cable that's supplied with the Flex microphone Control RRC to microphone: use a standard Cat5 cable. I've only found one source for a coiled Cat5 cable to use as a microphone cable: http://www.cablescience.net/network-coils.php?osCsid=4d0cad88456767d8fe4b33bf2024840a Cable is reasonably priced but shipping is $16.
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Great idea, thanks. Beware of one part, CAT5 cables sold by many places can be wired differently! Some are straight through cables and some are not (The actual industry standard cable is not straight through). Am I correct in that you are using a cable which is wired straight through? Thanks for the help.
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Straight through cable. Standard Cat5/Cat5E network patch cables are wired straight through. TIA568A or B doesn't matter. A caution: not all microphones with RJ45 connectors are wired the same. But you can jumper the RRC header to use a standard Cat5 cable.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.