Amplifier question

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
I'm considering adding a full-gallon to the 6500.  This will probably start a 'religious' argument, but here goes...  Alpha 9500, SPE 2K-FA, or Acom 2000A and why?
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 605 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 540 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 418 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Alpha 9500 great amp, I have a alpha 8410 and would not swap for a 9500 but it is manual tune. So of the ones you mentioned I say stick with American made and the new owners look great.
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 929 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
I would go the Alpha - the 8877 is a good tube, should last an entire ham's career and then some.  The 3rd order IMD is -45, not to shabby.  Direct factory service in USA.  
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
SPE2K-FA. Solid State. No more expensive hard to find do tunes. To wear out.

Instant on. No need to lose Q's waiting 4 minutes to warm up

Quiet. Does not heat up your shack or drown you with fan noise.

Loafs along at 2KW.

Absolutely idiot proof. It has. Superior computers inside.

The. Only amp of the 3 designed in the 21st century.

I have owned Alphas. We still have Alphas and Acoms at the NX6T contest station but all new amps will be 2K-FA.

Neither Alpha or Acom were at this year's Visalia DX Convention but 2 vendors for 2K-FA. We're selling like hotcakes.
(Edited)
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 605 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
I'm leaning in that direction, Howard.  Thanks for the comment.
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 532 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Expert amps look very interesting, do you get the full cat control with a flex?
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 532 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
On my end that link is not functioning.
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 683 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
Link doesn't work for me Howard.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
By the way the HOT amp at Visalia was the SPE 1,3K. 1500 watts only 16lbs. Back ordered to December as every DXpedition wants them. Several of my buddies ordered the1.3K.
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 571 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
i wonder why flex doesn't offer something similar, for < 1/2 the price ??
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 683 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
I have wondered the same thing. Flex could make a matching solid state amp with the necessary sensors to implement adaptive predistortion. It would be like a 1.5kw transceiver.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 418 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
The expertise at flex is SDR, having built some solid state amps the return for investment is probably not worth bringing one out. I believe the business model is totally devoted to the the radio and software. There are some very good solid state amps out there all it takes is opening your pocket book. The Yaesu Quadra still ranks at the top.
Photo of Mark Griffin

Mark Griffin

• 84 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I would recommend the Acom 1000. If you have a good antenna system then 1000 watts is all you need. Plus they have very excellent reviews.

I had an Alpha 8410, but starting having major problems with it after 2 years. I sold it and have never been happier with my Acom 1000. If you want reviews on the Alpha 9500 go to the groups.yahoo board for the 9500. You will get your fair share of frustrations about that amplifier.
Mark KB3Z
Photo of np2g

np2g

• 271 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
there are many outstanding amps out there . Tube, solid state .
I would recommend if a tube type that whatever you choose the tube is really available and cost efficient. Buy the spares now. check that 3rd order IMD listing .

If a solid state consider ones that use higher voltages than 12 VDC .
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 532 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes

Expert amps USA has one 1K-FA left for $3500 with shipping included, I just ordered mine so be ready for my flex 6500 interface questions!

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Here is the link for the 2K_FA to Flex Connections in my Dropbox

https://db.tt/0LuOmYtr
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 532 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes

thanks

Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
This is just from second hand observation, but, a friend of mine who can afford the 3 in question has sold his alpha, has returned his spe many times for repair and is about to buy his second acom to add to his station. This station is mainly used for contesting and he has been doing that for many years. He is happy with the acom. The others not so much. Your needs/results may vary.
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 886 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes

Over the years I have owned all of the amps mentioned in the original post.  Both Alpha 9500's had numerous trips back and forth between Maine and Colorado...  color that expensive even with a 4 year warranty.   The Acom 2K amp I also had the pleasure of owning two different occasionse. Once before the Alpha amps, when I decided I wanted a single tube 8877 that the 9500 would provide, and again immediately after the second Alpha 9500 died unexpectedly for the umpteenth time.   The Acom amps both had NO problems over the approximately 6 years total I owned them....  Then , as part of evolution I guess,  I decided I wanted an all- in- one, instant on, high power, 160 thru 6 meter amplifier instead of the separate HF and 6 meter amplifiers.  I had  NO actual failures with the time I had the SPE2K and it really was a giant slayer even on the demanding Low Bands plus the bookend band of 6 meters.  The one (and only) complaint I had was the noisy power supply cooling fan that winds up immediately on CW keying and was a bit distracting.  (with headphones on , all was ok.)  I could have resolved the noise problem by moving the amp further away very easily and using the remote software to control it.    I downsized my larger station last year and sold the SPE2K and quite honestly, now that I am building a new remote only 8 miles from this HOA, ordered the new SPE1.3Kfa to do the heavy lifting there at the remote.  Single heavy duty  PA element, no more combining multiple PA modules,  lightweight, instant on and remoteable.  and will put out full legal 1500 all day.    To answer the original post at the top of the page,  I would go for the SPE2K with no qualms or afterthought concerning its reliability.  When I had the top 3 big amps they were all used in a Contesting and heavy DXing environment with yagi stacks 40-10.

Photo of np2g

np2g

• 271 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
For me the latest OM amplifiers are very interesting. Build is good. , imd acceptable ,drive level acceptable , and reliability very good.
Cost is also in line with my wallet .
They work with the flex or sdr world . Will auto go everywhere .

Since they have never broken I cannot comment on repair .