Amplifier Drive Input... 5w / 10w / 50w?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
Hey all, is there a recommended or preferred drive input for an amplifier connected to a Flex-6600? I'm considering a new 1K amp and some amps have the ability to specify drive input? 
Photo of Dwayne - NA6US

Dwayne - NA6US

• 67 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 758 Posts
  • 258 Reply Likes
Each amp will have different drive requirements, and drive requirements will also differ slightly per band too.  Check the amp's manual to determine its input power range. 
Photo of William Osborne

William Osborne

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Dwayne, I have an SPE 2K and the SPE amps lets you control the drive level from the Flex if you connect them via CAT.  Mine varies from about 32 to 40 watts for 1,500 out and somewhat less for 1,000 out.
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 709 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
It all depends on the amp. I have one amp that requires just 3 watts drive for 300 watts out and another amp that requires almost 50 watts drive ( which would completely fry the first amp ) to get the same 300 watts out

Photo of Rob N4GA

Rob N4GA

• 153 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Nobody has answered your question. 

I assume the FLEX is the cleanest at just under full power, like maybe 80-90w, since its output transformer has been likely designed and compensated around this power level.

But only FLEX knows for sure. Whatever level it operates the cleanest would be the ideal input power to your linear.

Rob.
www.N4GA.com

Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 599 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
At the Mid-power level (1K), which is where I usually run it, my SPE 1.3-K only requires 6-7 watts.  Anything over that is overdriving it. On most bands, for 1.5K, it's 10-11w.

Rick, W0FG
Photo of Neal - K3NC

Neal - K3NC, Elmer

• 531 Posts
  • 183 Reply Likes
My RF Kit B26 2K+ takes about 10-15 watts for 160-10 (minus 30m where we can go 1500w!) I haven't really tried it on 6m but I hear it can take as much as 60w to get 500w out. But each model of amp (and probably each sample within a model) can take different power.