Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ampkeyer with HA-14 and 6300

Options
Dave - W6OVP
Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
I would like to hook a 50 yr old Heathkit HA-14 "Kompact Kilowatt" amplifier to my FLEX 6300. (It's basically the same as the SB-200 but in 2 boxes, using a pair of 572B's.) Have an Ampkeyer intermediate relay box but don't see any comments about using this setup. Thoughts please?

Answers

• Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Definitely use the Ampkeyer interface in this case with the old keying circuit. Be aware that one of he differences with the HA-14 is that the output is basically fixed at 50 ohms, there is no loading control.
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    TNX Ross. Yes, I've been running them for 50 yrs <g> and use 600 watt autotuners. If interested, google W6OVP HA-14.
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sorry, then why did you ask for thoughts <g>?
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have never hooked one to a Flex. Have you?
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Finally got around to hooking my 6300 to an HA-14. Used an AmpKeyer relay inbetween and used ALC. Ran the FLEX full power. Worked great! Got lots of excellent signal reports both quantity and quality. Chalk this up as another first for a FLEX (I think).

For more than you really wanted to know about the classic Kompact Kilowatt amplifier click:
    http://www.qsl.net/w6ovp/

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I use an ampkeyer interface to occasionally run an old AL80A and a TL922A.  Both amps are fairly old, but still work just fine.  Its hard getting myself to get rid of them. They have been with me for so many years, its almost like family!
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Same here. I was a little surprised how nice this "multi-generational" hookup went together and worked. Usually use the FLEX with a KPA500/KAT500, also with the AmpKeyer.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.