Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

AMP TX delay setting for new LA-1K

Rich McCabe
Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
I just took delivery on a new Palstar LA-1K amp.  I remember reading somewhere that HRO had some recommended TX delay settings and I thought I read it on this site.

Anyone remember seeing this thread or have any direction?

Rich

Answers

• Chuck
    Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    According the the LA-1K data, it has a vacuum relay, so it "should" have a switching time of about 8mS, perhaps 6mS.  To be sure, I would ask Palstar for the specific relay switching spec.  Once known, then set the TX Delay to that value.  In the interm, a delay of 10mS or a bit more should be safe.
    ---
    Chuck
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018

Thank you Chuck.   I think I will drop Paul a message.

Rich

• Mike Presnell
    Mike Presnell Member
    edited April 2018
    Rich, please post an update once you learn the answer.  Thanks!
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

I asked for some more clarification but this was his first response.

GM Rich
    You can set the delay in your transceiver to
    anything thats convenient as the LA-1K is
    RF sensing and it will key the amp only after it reads
    the freq of an RF carrier
    Regards  Paul

• N5BE
    N5BE Member
    edited August 2018
    Rich, I just ordered one from HRO. Should be here Tuesday. What did you end up with on the delay? I'm running a HF-AUTO in front on my current A1000 so we'll see how that does with the LA-1K!

Thanks,

Lee
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Have it at 140 because I cant stand the noisy relays of the LA-1K.
  • N5BE
    N5BE Member
    edited August 2018
    Thank you for the quick response. Looking forward to playing with it.  I should have said the HF-AUTO is behind the tuner. Its physically in front of the amp on the bench but electrically behind it. 
  • Neil   N4FN
    Neil N4FN Member
    edited August 2018
    Rich,
    You are saying that the relay is noisy on the amp? Mine is as quiet as can be.

Lee,
    I am a bit confused as to the statement "I should have said the HF-AUTO is behind the tuner. Its physically in front of the amp on the bench but electrically behind it."
    Is the HF-Auto the last thing in the line? Perhaps I should say the HF-Auto is just before the antenna?
    Neil  N4FN    BTW I have both Palstar products and they are a great combo.
  • N5BE
    N5BE Member
    edited August 2018
    Radio-Amp-Tuner-LP100A-Antenna. I tried to make it better and i made it worse....
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Neil, my LA-1K is very noisy. Big heavy relay clunk. Fan is pretty noisy too. Amp works fantastic but I would consider it loud.

• Neil   N4FN
    Neil N4FN Member
    edited August 2018
    WOW, not my experience. I would call Palstar and speak with Paul or Mark his chief engineer
  • Neil   N4FN
    Neil N4FN Member
    edited July 2019
    What made it worse??
    Neil   N4FN
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I guess noise is a very subjective thing.  I consider the relay noise  from my LA-1K to be definitely loud  - I can hear it over my Radiosport head set which dampens most noise.

The fan is also, to my ears, a bit loud.  However, the fan noise compared to other amps I have owned is relatively quiet.  It is a bit louder than my 6500 fans,

I would love to get both fan and relay quieter.

• Neil   N4FN
    Neil N4FN Member
    edited July 2019
    Hi Gene,
    Not to beat a dead horse to death but out of curiosity I tuned my 6400 on different bands back and fort in an attempt to hear any relay noise, but heard nothing?? If you are hearing noise could it be from the tuner if you are using one. Perhaps a call to Paul at Palstar if there is a problem with the amp. I have found the service from them on a par with Flex which IMO is outstanding. I hope the issue is solved to your satisfaction
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Well I can assure you my relay clicking is coming from the amp. As I said it works great but its a noisy amp in my case. I have no complaints with it except noise and the high SWR spike when you first switch bands.
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I think I will have to call Palstar.  Have any of you talked to them?  If so, please share.
  • Neil   N4FN
    Neil N4FN Member
    edited July 2019
    You will find that Paul the owner of Palstar and Mark (I believe the chief engineer) are extremely responsive and helpful. As I have stated before their service is on a par with that from Flex and that is outstanding.
    Neil  B4FN
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I have not  called about how noisy it is.

They really don't send the amp with an acceptable manual so I am sure you will have to call them with questions anyway.
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I spoke with Mark at Palstar and the answer is both.
    Older units (somewhat prior to April of this year )will be a bit noisy.  Later models will have shock mounted relays and will will be quieter.

He said the only way to tell for sure is to take the case off and determine if the relays (back right of the amp) are shock mounted.

So it is entirely reasonable, likely even, that there are loud amps and quiet amps.

I, for one, am not sufficiently motivated to tear my shack apart to find out :)

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I might someday but not motivated either.  Mine was purchased 4/16 so coming up on 4 months old.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.