Amp for 1500

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Ok guys, looking for suggestions. I have a 1500. Looking for a 50 watt amp to put behind it for those day when a lil more power is needed. Rarely ran a hundred watts when I had a rig that could so a 50 watt would suffice I think. 
Photo of Jeff Gray

Jeff Gray

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 648 Posts
  • 195 Reply Likes
How about this one...

https://www.hobbypcb.com/component/virtuemart/hardrock-50-hf-power-amp-kit-detail?Itemid=119

Reasonably priced and you get to do a little kit building:)

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Stuart Woodcock

Stuart Woodcock

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I've just purchased a MX-P50A from ALIExpress to try.  at £155GBP it's a great price and teh reviews on eham seem pretty good.
Photo of Michael VE3WMB

Michael VE3WMB

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If you can find one, the Tokyo Hy-Power HL-45B is a great little amp for the 1500.  THP is no longer in business but don't let that deter you from buying a used one of if you can find it. These are amps are so well made that I expect mine to outlive me.  

Michael VE3WMB 
Photo of James Kirk

James Kirk

• 79 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I have an older HF Packer amp that is for sale.
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 84 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

I built the HR-50 and it is superb.

Kit went together great and support is great. With the purchase of the kit you get a WORKING radio...If they can't help you get it going...you send it to them and thy fix it free!

It works very well, I have used it with my Softrock TXRX 80/40 tcvr and I like it.

Lee

Photo of Richard McClelland, AA5S

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 277 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
An Acom 600s would be a fabulous amplifier to pair with a Flex 1500.  185 to 200 watts out with 5 watts in.  A reasonable person might ask how pairing a $2900 amplifier with a $600 radio could be justified but I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader :-)

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 277 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
If the Elves at Flex-Radio produce a SmartSDR version of the Flex 1500 that puts out 10 watts, then a paired Acom 600s would put out 350 watts.  That would be a pretty nice arrangement.  

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 277 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Then again, a Flex 6900 with a MRFE6VP6300H or two would produce 350 watts or more of output.  (I admit that I'm not a marketing person.)