Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

als 600s amplfier connection to the 6400M

KB4OIF
KB4OIF Member ✭✭
With the 6400M Flex, is it compatible with the ALS 600 Amplifier.  

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    Yes. Just like all the other FLEX-6000s.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks  Tim.  I am just getting started with flex radio's. My Buddy W9NWR up in Wis. runs a 6500.   
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited January 2018
    Connecting the ALS-600 is not as straightforward as with other amps.  When you get ready to do it, I recommend sending a post to the Community to get information on the "best" way to do it (there are several ways to skin the ALS-600 "cat" (there is a pun in there)
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks.  My ALS 600 does not like SWR above 1.7.    What is the ratio on the flex tuners  Is it 10 to 1 or something else.  3 to 1.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    With the ALS-600 to control the Band to follow the radio you will need the MFJ ARB-704 interface and a FTDI cable ACC-USBPARALLEL  that FLEX offers with flying leads, wired as BCD into the ARB-704.

I think the FTDI serial port cable will also work but been to many years for me to remember since I used the ARB-704 and it MAY need a Null Modem adapter, run it in Kenwood Mode.

Look also for wiring up a ALS-1300 which uses the exact same wiring as the ALS-600, the ALS-606 and ALS1306 have the ARB-704 built in so may be of some help, Just no plug and Play solution you have to do a little wiring. 

The Above cables can be connected right to the back of the FLEX Radio's BUT I would recommend using a Powered USB Hub that is powered by 12V and using the Stations Power supply to take any load off of the Radio's USB ports.

Just my 2 cents 
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Hi Bret.  i have an ARI-500 interface that I use with my 7300 Icom.  It may work with the flex.

John

• W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi John.  By piggy-backing on others' guidance, I successfully configured an automatic band-switching cable to connect my 6400M to the ALS-600's ARI-500 interface.  I just finished uploading the results: full particulars appear at bottom of this page...

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/connecting-an-als-600-to-a-flex-6000-series-radio
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks everyone.  I can not build stuff like most of you can.  My hands do not work very well at times and they shake a bit.  what I am looking for is the correct commercial cable/cables that will hook to the ALS 600S and a diagram as to what cable goes where.  Some folks are saying it's just one cable, some are saying 3 cables.  does the manual have anything that shows this.  I am not going to hook the amp to the flex until I am comfortable with using the flex.  i.e. have a better understanding of what does what.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Are you referring to the internal radio Tuner?  
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yes Jim.  I know it's 3 to1.  At times it does a little higher.  the 1.7 is a little low.  I did that when I first got my amp back a ways.  
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I have contacted ameritron and they said that this cable, RJ-8MY2CABLE, ARI-RIG, RJ45-8 MD, YAE, along with the 8 pin mini din plug that flex sells will work.  any one know which cable this is.  
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

If you want to use the ARI-500 with your FLEX radio, you will need to contact FLEX. The sell a cable that will plug into the USB port on the back of the FLEX radio and has an 8 pin mini DIN plug on the other end that emulates a Yeasu radio. You can then get our RJ-8MY2 cable. The RJ-8MY2 cable has an 8 pin mini DIN plug that will plug into the end of the FLEX radio cable and the other end will plug into the ARI-500.

The USB to 8 pin mini DIN Yeasu cable is available from FLEX. The RJ-8MY2 cable is available from your favorite dealer or for online order off of our website.

Best regards,

• KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Got the cable ordered from flex.  Thanks Mike W.
  • KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Good Afternoon everyone.  You can mark this one as solved Tim.  I worked with John at ameritron this morning and we have it working like it is supposed to.  Might have been a little pilot error or and bad RCA cable.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.