Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

All SDR CAT ports show error

Bob  KN4HH
Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR CAT
The SDR CAT Com port list under V1.6 shows COM ports 4,5,6 and 7 have been created.  However, the red Error message appears on all ports.  When I hover over the error message for COM4, it says "has COM14 open which is needed by this port".  Could someone interpret the error message and what I need to do to eliminate it.  I have nothing connected to these ports at present.

Thanks, Bob, KN4HH

Answers

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Are these hold-over ports from a previous installation?
    If so, they may not have gotten translated properly.  You might need to delete them all, close CAT & SSDR, reboot, and recreate them.  It doesn't take long.  If that doesn't fix them, see Tim's excellent article about eliminating "Phantom" or "Ghost" COM Ports and Audio Channels.

Ken - NM9P
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Or you could Select Com4 for edit ( or add) and then right click in the edit (add)  window to get advanced and then change com14 to com104. and save.

AL, K0VM
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I tried your suggestion by deleting the com ports using SSDR CAT Remove command.  No success with creating new ports.  I then followed Tim's procedure for deleting phantom ports, of which there were several, and re-booted the computer and restarted SSDR.  Now when I try to Add a port in CAT, I get a message "VSP failed to create".  I suppose it wouldn't hurt to reinstall SSDR including VSP.

Bob, KN4HH
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    On the Flex Net yesterday, Dudley told someone to go to the Windows>Programs and Features> and Find FlexRadio Systems FlexVSP and right click on it and select "Repair" and let it rebuild FlexVSP.  I would suggest a reboot before and after you do this.

See if that helps.  If not, then you might need a total removal and reinstallation.

Ken - NM9P

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Bob,
    I had the same error when trying to creating ports.  Discovered I had the old VSP driver 1.0.1 installed.  This may be worth a check.  You can see the version by using Windows control panel and the "uninstall or change a program" option.

Here is what I did that worked if you have the old version and I didn't have to reinstall all of SSDR. 

Stopped all Flex related programs CAT, SSDR, DDUtil, etc 

Use control panel to uninstall a program and remove VSP V1.0.1  

Reboot the PC

Re-install just the driver, using this link since my PC is  Win10 64 bit.

C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v1.6.1764-bit DriversVSP

The new version is now 1.0.2

Started up CAT and added a port Com10 / 110

No errors, started up all of my Flex related software (DDUtil, SSDR, SDR-Bridge, CW skimmer) 
     and everything seems to work, 

Then did a test on the new CAT port Com10 using the LOG option and tested using FA;.  Freq date returned as expected.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.17.74
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.17.156
    Win10
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    By the way, the reason I had the old version of the VSP driver is my habit is to install the new SSDR versions without "un-installing" the current one.  

Per Tim E., at some point in the past there was a VSP update as part of an SSDR release.  And the only way to get it was to un-install and re-install SSDR.  

So it's worth a check to see if you have the old version V 1.0.1

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.17.74
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.17.156
    Win10
  • Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Thanks, guys.  It was a combination of problems starting with old defined ports and old VSP driver.  All is well now.  I really appreciate all the helpful comments.

73, Bob, KN4HH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.