All Flex owners - asking to support Senate Bill # S-1685

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
The ARRL and any one living under HOA and CC and R we need your assistance.

"I urge all of you to call the Washington offices of your senators and request their support on Senate Bill 1685, the Amateur Radio Parity Act.  This will allow antennas to be placed in restricted communities, similar to PRB-1 as to local zoning laws."  

The committee, set to vote on one of our issues (15 November 2015).  The stars are aligned.  Please call their offices and leave a recorded message if you have to.

The antenna you save (or someday want to build) may be your own...

"George -N1PP" modified by W4EG - Ernest

Here is a copy of my letter to our Senators in Florida.

My wife and I are looking forward for a positive vote on S-1685; for the Amateur Radio Parity Act that is coming up for the committee vote.

As you may be aware, we are available for any communication needs; whether is a search and rescue or acts of God.

Our equipment are available at no cost to all Federal, State and City when necessary.

We use our personal radio equipment and the availability to communicate is hamper by HOA and CC&R's unnecessarily.

Thanking you in advance, (signed)
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 594 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 993 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
I sent a similar letter to my senator earlier today.  I will call as well.  I live in an HOA and would like to have the ability to put up something other than a stealth antenna.
Photo of Richard McClelland, AA5S

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 271 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I received the following from Senator Gardner:

"Thank you for contacting me regarding the Amateur Radio Parity Act of 2015. I appreciate you taking the time to write. It is an honor to serve you in the United States Senate and I hope you will continue to write with your thoughts and ideas on moving our country forward.

On June 25, 2015, Senator Roger Wicker (R-MS) introduced S. 1685, the Amateur Radio Parity Act of 2015. This legislation would allow radio operators to construct radio antennas on their property, including in situations where local home owner associations or subdivisions prohibit it. This legislation has been referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, on which I sit, for further review. 

Many amateur radio operators are not allowed to construct radio antennas on their property because of the regulations that some homeowners associations and subdivisions currently have in place. These radio antennas are sometimes used to perform very important public services such as communication assistance during natural disasters and other public emergencies. However, many home and condominium associations contend that the antennas are unsafe, unsightly, and have the potential to drive down property values. Please rest assured, I will keep your thoughts in mind should this legislation come before me for a vote.

Again, thank you for contacting me, and do not hesitate to do so again when an issue is important to you."  

Sounds to me like he needs more persuasion 

Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes

I agree if you support the bill or not get off your duff and write your lawmaker now. I have a right to my opinion and respect your right to make your views known. I totally respect the advocacy of many hams, extend me the same courtesy. If you disagree attack the merits of my view, not me personally. I would do the same for you as I find most here in the Flex community more intelligent than I and worthy of respect. ( I will wait to send this until I hear your comments to correct inaccuracies).
Here is my letter:

November 12, 2015

Dear Representative Keating,

I am a constituent in your District and I want to bring an issue to your attention. I am a federally licensed Amateur Radio operator, one of nearly three-quarters of a million licensees of the Federal Communications Commission in the United States.

On a rare occasion hams provide communications support for, and participate in public service events on behalf of our communities. During and in the aftermath of disasters and emergencies, when other forms of communications are unavailable, we are supposed to provide communications for first responders and Federal, state and local governmental agencies and non-governmental agencies, including the Red Cross and Salvation Army; for the United States Military through the Military Auxiliary Radio System (MARS); and to our neighbors when communications systems are overloaded or fail. However it is the rare amateur radio operator that has either a generator or the ability to provide accuracy in message handling. Radio Amateurs used to contribute to the future of telecommunications as we no longer participate in the development of innovative technology in this digital age, the last meaningful contribution occurred in the vacuum tube age. Amateur Radio is non-commercial, I suggest you listen to the attached audio clip recorded this weekend to hear what radio amateurs actually do most of the time. The exam for a license has become so easy, even a small child can and has passed it. Radio amateurs are generally good and decent men but that does not give them license to abuse their neighbor’s peace and tranquility.

Now “hams” want to abrogate agreements reached in good faith with Homeowner Associations to not erect an outdoor antenna at our residences.

Recently, a bi-partisan Bill, H.R. 1301 - “The Amateur Radio Parity Act”, was introduced by Congressman Adam Kinzinger (IL-16) with Congressman Joe Courtney (CT-02) and additional original co-sponsors. HR 1301 directs the FCC to extend their existing PRB-1 regulations of “reasonable accommodation” of Amateur Radio communications to include private land use regulators. This would afford us the ability to force homeowner’s associations in residential developments to redefine what is reasonable. Private land use regulations routinely include restrictions that completely preclude Amateur Radio communications operators from installing any type of outdoor antenna system; however the radio amateur knew what he was signing when he moved in.

As your constituent, I am asking that you not support the bill. Please contact Rep. Kinzinger’s office to do so. If you have any questions, please contact a lobbying group for an HOA.

Sincerely,

Burt Fisher, holder of the highest class of amateur radio license for 54 years

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 271 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Curious viewpoint, considering the forum.  If HOAs can demand that no exterior antennas be placed on private property, why not also demand that every outdoor appurtenance be prohibited, including grills, swing sets, flag poles, trees, flower beds, window shutters, carports, etc.?  
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 638 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
Actually, many do prohibit or at least provide rules for all of the things you mentioned. My sister lives in a HOA development and I can tell you that if someone was suddenly able to put up a tower it would devastate the residents. I think I agree with Burt, If you don't want these restrictions then don't move there. 

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 271 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Don't stop there.  If any outdoor appurtenance is restricted, then all outdoor appurtenances should also be restricted; including any paint color other than white, grass, sidewalks, etc.   Logically, you can't arbitrarily restrict one exterior feature and allow others.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
@Burt

You just overtook my contest buddy Dennis, N6KI for the "2015 Curmudgeon of the Year Award".  Dennis at least knows when to leave well enough alone.  Keep it up and I hope to see you at the Flex Banquet in Dayton 2016 where I will give you your award.

Of course, your position on this issue is totally wrong.. if fact, one of the reasons so many hams are unable to participate meaningfully in EMCOMM is due to HOA restrictions which preclude the installation of antennas...

You are future wrong in your assumption that every ham has a Choice when he moves into a HOA restricted antenna community.   In California it is now impossible to find any affordable or new home developments that allow antennas.   I am one of the lucky few who could afford to buy in an older neighborhood in which the HOA had expired...even then it took significant legal expense to obtain a building permit.

You are further wrong about the value of ham participation in EMCOMM... . In both the 2003 and 2007 San Diego Fires, ham radio saved lives and property...

In fact, my favorite anecdote is a message I got from my Daughter-in-Law after the 2007 Fires...
"You know I always thought your antennas were ugly.. BUT.. Thank you for saving my Mother's life... I will never say anything bad about your ham radio antennas again"
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
Your opinion is smart and visionary whereas mine is ridiculous?
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
I am glad you finally understand how silly your position is.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
You were unable to see the question mark?
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
I think the pivotal issue is how many of those 750,000 licensed hams have any level of ecomm certification. Those with ecomm certification, ARES, RACES certification have a much stronger argument but protective covenants cut both ways. I'd prefer not to see my neighbor's clothes drying out my family room window. Nor would I want to see my neighbor's rusted out car up on cinder blocks in his front yard, or a Gadsden flag flying in the yard across the street.

I don't think it is purely a binary issue. That said I am for it, operative word in it being reasonable, from both sides.
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
@Walt

While EMCOMM certifications are nice to have they clearly are not pivotal.

I have worked a lot of disasters via ham radio in my time....

Frankly I would rather have 5 Contestors or DXers vs 50 certified EMCOMM hams handling traffic during the disaster.. Why.. because DXers and especially contestors are used to handling high volumes of traffic without errors...EMCOMM hams and especially a lot of the newer CERT hams do not get on the air enough to practice at traffic handling.... 

In the 2007 fires we helped evacuate over 500,000 people ahead of the flames in less than 24 hours....our traffic load peaked at over 2,500 messages per hour...Fortunately we had a few contesters (not EMCOMM certified) with big stations and big towers who handled a lot of the load.....

When dozens of repeaters went off the air due to losing power, solar covered with ash, running out of fuel and just being burnt down..  those with antennas took up the slack to relay traffic ....
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 993 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
In guess im looking not to put up a 200 foot tower. But it would be nice to put a simple but reasonable vertical on a pole jn my back yard. If you read the proposed reg it doesnt take the HOA out of the loop but rather tries to get them to be reasonable.

In my case even if it passes id have to make a formal request with plans showing potential impacted views etc. it would still take effort but at least not and outright no.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 993 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
One thing Burt seems not to understand and it makes me wonder about his experience is that when you buy a house as I did, yes I was given a copy of the roughly 100 page CCRs to review about 2 weeks before the sale was final the one thing I don't think many people get the chance to do is meet with the Board to get a feel for the environment.

In my specific case the CCRs don't explicitly prohibit antennas however the HOA has the right to DENY at the option of the building review Board (a sub group of the Board) ANY NEW CONSTRUCTION OF ANY TYPE!

Originally, this was meant to give our Board the ability to try and achieve a desired look and feel.  But over the years there have been 3 members of the board that have served on it continuously for over 25 years that have taken this too far to where they are allowing some owners for example to erect separated sheds and others not.  Their basis for denial is always the same: Your shed would deteriorate the value and beauty of the neighborhood.

To try and change this I served on the Board for almost 10 years and I fought those kinds of decisions twice bringing them to a vote of the community to pass rather than deny.  I made some enemies in these people.  In the cases I fought for I looked at the desired shed and where it was to be placed and found the homeowner was doing diligence in trying to make it not only look like the home but keeping it from appearing front and center on the property.

Shortly, after I resigned from the board another "building" request was made and denied.  The Board cited denial on the basis it would again have a negative impact on the beauty of the neighborhood.  They picked the wrong family to tangle with... This guy had some high powered legal friends and in several weeks there were more lawsuits and legal cases flying around than I could have imagined.  In the end the Board spent almost $10,000 of our HOA money defending themselves and lost.  The owner built their building and in fact painted it RED in contrast to their nice dark green house as a F. U. to the neighborhood HOA. 

Burt says I had a choice.  He is right.  I did get the CCRs, I did read them.  I was however NEVER given the chance to understand the HOA environment and never could have without living here.  The Board only meets four times a year.

Had I known the HOA would be like it is I never would have bought.  True here in Fort Collins I could have moved rural where no one gives a crap and put up 14,000 foot tower.  But there is a price for rural living and at the time we moved here I was under a job directive (job relocation) AND we had a young son.  This neighborhood offered the best options as I wanted him to have friends near by.

As I tried to state above and Burt either was too busy defending himself to read it or truly doesn't care.  I am not welshing on the deal.  I am fighting however to have a seat at the table and be able to discuss an outside non-stealth antenna.  My HOA may still win, I just want a small amount of legal backing that says guys you have to consider it.

In the end I'll never have a big-gun station.  I can't afford it and my wife wouldn't go for it.  Not until we live somewhere with acreage and she would allow my tower to be on the far side of the farm.  For now I want a vertical, or a G5RV that I can mount on a pole.  It would not be a 120' tower with 5 stacked beams.  I want my HOA to understand I can and will be reasonable but they have to come to the table.

To me that is what the parity act would do.  It would force the HOA to come to the table for discussion.

Yes Burt probably makes a point.  There are a bunch of us out there that would take this parity act and use it to beat the crap out of our HOA Board legally to allow a 250' tower on a 1/8 acre lot.  That would be the bad apples of the bunch.

I think the vast majority of us would seek more reasonable use.

So Burt:

Yes I signed and agreed to the CCRs.  I did not however have any opportunity to experience the Board politics or dynamics until it was said and done.

Yes you could say I am welshing on the deal.  But you are being short sighted.  The act primarily gives the ham the ability to force the HOA to talk to them.  

I am glad you get to choose where you live.  I was under a company directive to move.  I was under time pressure and life pressure to find a reasonable place to exist.  Now I seek to enjoy my later years of life and have a small antenna outside.  Forgive me for wanting to enjoy my life.

Since finding out about you on this forum Burt I am frankly surprised you remain in ham radio. You seem to hate and oppose much of it. Your Youtube videos show that you put a lot of time into bashing this hobby.  Why are you still in it?   (honest question).

Oh ya... BTW... I'd gladly do 100 hours MORE community service to be given the right to erect an outside antenna.  You didn't say it had to be in radio.  I already do 50 a year at the soup kitchen.  I donate to good Samaritans, and we sponsor a family every Christmas providing them meals, clothes and toys.  If I had to add 10 more hours of radio based comm service it would be no skin off my back.  Make it so bullseye!
(Edited)

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 271 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
@Mark,  I had no idea we are neighbors.  I considered moving to your addition (nearly across the street from you, actually) when I was looking for a home in 2011 because the lots seemed well sized and suited for an antenna of some sort.  It didn't cross my mind, either, that your particular location is 'hostile territory' for antennas while mine isn't.  My wife and I purchased our home based on the usual considerations of location, price, schools, etc. and I learned after the purchase that I am fortunate in my choice of neighborhoods.  To be transparent, I have taken care to make certain that my antenna isn't visible from any road or the front of my house and only one neighbor has full visibility of my delta loop but it is nice to know that antennas aren't an issue in this housing addition.  I agree with you that the HOA matter has gotten completely out of hand and listening to my co-workers describe their experiences with their HOAs for any number of matters unrelated to ham radio makes me think that this is a much bigger issue than the aesthetics of antennas.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 993 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
Hi Richard, Maybe that explains why your signal on 40m the other night BLEW me away!  LOL... I think I did hear you at like 40 over and didn't catch the call.

The neighborhood is a good neighborhood, in general.  As I mentioned there are 3 people specifically that have deemed themselves the HOA Gods and think they can control everything.  

A few years ago I replaced a small wood fence around our trash/recycle container area.  One of the older "gods" forgot there was a fence there before and accused me of building something new without HOA approach.  I showed him before and after pictures and finally he backed down and agreed the new fence was much better than the old.  I reminded him gently that not all people are out to destroy the neighborhood.

We should meet up sometime to chat.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
Howard have you noticed other participants don't feel it necessary to minimize opinions different than theirs? Do you notice how Mark makes his point with class?

Mark you speak well, I was given an HOA agreement and asked if there was an antenna restriction, there was so I made choice not to sign, thus no sale. I did not sign and then welsh on my agreement. I agree Mark HOA's can be total jerks as you have shown, snobbery is all too common. There are even some in ham radio. Mark it appears you are one of the rare assets to ham radio. On other matters we may not agree but I respect the way you made your case.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 993 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
Well Burt, Thank you.  I have my many short comings and at times I'm not always the brightest bulb in the lot but I try to be fair, honest and reasonable.
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1561 Posts
  • 552 Reply Likes
I'm in favor of "reasonable accommodation" since it promotes both HOAs and hams' best interests. HOAs get happy residents who may be assets in their community as role models, technology resources, communicators, and in general - GOOD NEIGHBORS. Hams get to operate reasonable stations without fear of fines or retribution, which may encourage them to be more active in their communities. It includes the community in developing standards and plans for reasonable, safe antenna installations, so that a "stealth" installation doesn't pose a hazard to the neighborhood or homeowner.

Good for everyone.

Hanging our hat on EMCOMM as the sole reason for this bill is probably a poor idea. Opposing the bill because few hams participate in emergencies is an equally poor idea.

Restrictive covenants and contract terms have been used in the past to deny people entry to communities and to enforce the will of the few. Just because they exist does not make them just. A reasonable person will often accept one restrictive term to gain the benefits of the community. That doesn't prohibit them from working within the law to improve the situation. This bill appears to be a reasonable step promoting fair play, honorable intentions, and genuine compromise. Things we can all support, I think.

I've been a ham for most of my life (38 years of 49). I've also been an HOA Board officer. The two are not mutually exclusive. I don't see how either side could oppose this genuinely useful legislation.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike KD2CJJ

Mike KD2CJJ

• 122 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
My father has lived in a HOA for more than 14 years - he was one of the founding members (first 10). Throughout the years he has served on many boards and chaired many sub-committees.  He too made many enemies over the years trying to make the community a more inviting community.   Unfortunately the amount of restrictions that have been imposed has caused numerous legal battles at the cost to the members, but on the decision of a few; even hatred between neighbors - all because someone didnt go to the board for approval on simple changes.  Most bylaws are not provided UNTIL you have purchased as they are "secret".

Clearly HOA is not what he bought into.  I have encouraged him to move into a neighborhood with like minded people.  Unfortunately like in California, his area has been riddled with HOAs.  If you dont live in a HOA you run the risk of a trailer being parked next to your million dollar home.

My father only looks for a balance.  He wouldn't want a 100 foot tower in his backyard.  But he is also not allowed to put up a Flag Pole antenna EVEN THOUGH it doesnt look like an antenna.  The board has stated they want NOTHING to do with Armature radio even if it has not visual or economical impact to the neighborhood.  How is one to protect them selves with this?  

This bill does not give a blank check to Amateur operators.  It merely provides the foundation to which boards MUST provide reasonable provision to an Amateur operator.  That means they can allow in their bylaws the provision to errect stealth antennas such as simple wire ones, Flag Pole Antennas and if allowed small telescoping antennas that must be hidden - these are only examples where the HOA could adopt a minimum spec in reaching an agreement.  Today there is NO forum for this to happen.

This bill MUST be passed!

I take offence to the comments Burt had.  His words by stating how easy the tests are, how few hams volunteer, etc diminish the significance of the hobby.  I just dont see this.  I see many volunteers in my club;  I see MANY gaining greater knowledge after getting their license.  Not all are electrical engineers or can talk to all aspects of antenna theory, etc. but they try and keep trying; and enjoy every moment of the knowledge sharing.  This hobby is all about people.  Its about knowledge sharing, volunteering and just some times making new friends.  I have never met an evil ham operator (though there are always evil people in this world) who has used their hobby to do harm.  In fact most are there to help when ever they can!!!!

Shame on you Burt for not supporting your community!  The likes of you have truly ruined this hobby and this country.
(Edited)
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 594 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Burt,

It is not a surprise to read your comments and as KY6LA, WS7M, AS5S  etc... said "if you hate this hobby so much? Why are you still here, acting as one?"

Perhaps you should continue to be a substitute teacher where those innocent little kids  adore you and praise you so much?

I sincerely hope you don't get offended with my personal observations and expressions but, I feel you are in the wrong hobby.

I've observed that you are so negative to anything and everything that is posted on the forum. I have yet to find a thing that you posted to be positive to all the posting posted.

If I was as miserable as you seems to be, I would find something else to do. 

I've stop reading your posting because it is of little value and of no interest; again,because of your negative attitude that it gives and your Superman picture of supremacy over all! 

Finally, my HOA has authorized me to install a Hy-Tower 18HT, which I appreciate and thank them.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes
Ernest where did I ever say I even disliked ham radio? I do not. I dislike the habits of many hams. You do not or could not offend me, hams are not able to do so. I am negative about everything, really? I have praised Flex as one of the best companies in not just ham radio, but the world. I have said the participants here are more intelligent than I. 95% of my videos are positive and I expose 400 kids a year to the positive aspects of ham radio. The Superman picture was sent to me by another ham and DX station love it and say so frequently. The one thing I will never ever hear from you is an apology after I have proved you wrong about who and what I am, because hams generally can not admit being wrong, now that's negative.

Mike shame on me for not supporting "my community?" Would you have supported a community that prevented blacks from buying a house? Would you support a community that would not let Jews live there? Sometimes the community needs opposition, this parity bill is discrimination, discrimination against keeping your word.
The test are not easy? Kindergartens have passed it.
I have ruined this hobby, really? I have no such influence.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike KD2CJJ

Mike KD2CJJ

• 122 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Burt,

How does this bill discriminate against anyone?   In NY a co-op association can deny someone from buying into the community and they are not required to state as to why the person was denied.  HOA can deny you from doing what ever to your property for one person but allow another - and they never give a valid reason why.  

In fact HOA discriminate all the time! Have you ever lived in a HOA? If not, then stay out of the fight.  Its not your fight to get involved in!

And what does this bill have to do with discrimination?  Clearly your not coming from a well informed perspective.  This bill provides the foundation for amateur operators to be heard within a HOA and not blindly have the  door closed on them.  Thats all this bill does.

Have you even taken the time to read the bill?  Its only 1 - 2 pages long!  Read it!

Your likes have ruined not only this hobby but the country!  This liberal / socialist mindset that big brother has to control the individual.  That more laws are better.

You have hurt this hobby by not support your amateur operators that can not practice their hobby freely.  You should be helping them rather than hurting them.  You can help them by providing changes to the bill that attempts to build compromise rather than destruction of the hobby for those who live in HOA.  

Shame on you!
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
Liberal / Socialist? I was wondering when this board would devolve into unsubstantiated political name calling.

Big government is, in actuality, your neighbors.
(Edited)
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 538 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Just a comment... I understand why the HOA wants to limit what can be put up and what can not, however, with living in an HOA for the last 15 years I personally will NEVER purchase a home in an HOA community again.. so with that in mind I guess their idea of keeping property values up by making residents conform to their rules, are now, for a small percentage of the home buying population just lost those potential customers thus in effect lowering property values...

Last note.... I see SAT dishs on sides of homes for TV, they have other options, so I have put up a 43' vertical in my back yard.... it's been there and up for the last 4 years without a word (i.e. the inspector has yet to see it)..

JMO
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3541 Posts
  • 1396 Reply Likes
@Burt

I fully understand that you are taking the hostile position to the Senate Bill position as a way to rile up the ire of the participants of this community.. ...as you seem to get your jollies when you make people angry with you....

I am reminded of the medical oath "Physician Do No Harm"

Since you do not live in an HOA nor do you have frequent natural disasters, you have no skin in the game as the Parity Act has little relevance to you..

Yet you choose to cause harm to others by taking the negative position on the Parity Act.

Harm-- yes Harm.. 

You are deliberately trying to harm hams who for whatever reason live in HOA and without this Parity Act are prevented from fully enjoying their hobby...

You are deliberately trying to harm people whose lives and property could be saved by better EMCOMM communications.

Yes - you are entitled to take any position whatsoever on any matter ... but, it is hard for me to have any respect for anyone who deliberately goes out of his way to directly cause harm to others as you have done with your letter...
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 479 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
I bought my house (in an HOA) before I got into ham radio.  Since then, I have been off-and-on looking for a house that wasn't in an HOA but was still a reasonable drive from work and built recently.

Lets just say I have been quite surprised at how many houses are covered by an HOA.  Finding a new house without restrictions has been a challenge.

-Robbie
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 479 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Actually the interesting thing is that my house is under TWO HOA's.  Yes that's right, two.  I pay two hoa dues every year, and anything that I want to do has to be approved by both boards.  We're a sub-community inside of a larger subdivision.

I love the house I'm in, but if I had my ham license before buying it, I likely would have looked elsewhere.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1049 Posts
  • 366 Reply Likes

Howard you got it backwards, you are the one doing harm. Harm to those who accepted a signature in good faith and now having a signatory try to wiggle out of the deal.
I have no desire whatever to rile anyone, if so wouldn't I rile by complaining about software delays, about problems with the 6300. Flex is doing the best they can but if my goal was to rile I would complain just to be annoying.
The bottom line is if one disagrees with you, an attack on the person is warranted. You  consistently, unlike others who agree with you, have a need to name call.

If one enjoys loud music and I  call the police on my neighbor because I can't sleep , I am the one doing the, "harm?"

Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
Robbie? You don't live in Reston VA, do you? When we lived there we had two hoa dues as well. One to the subdivision another to Reston.
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 479 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Hi Wait - Nope, I'm a little further south in the raleigh/durham area.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 993 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
I think for me the point of this is that the parity act doesn't right away say OK HOA you just lost your power over the ham and his antennas.  IE once it passes there might be a few hams that go right out and buy a 120 foot tower and get into trouble.  However I think those will be the few and far between.  All this for me means is that now I can legally force my HOA to consider my concerns.

Burt you keep referring to signing and then breaking the deal.  I don't see it that way at all.  But in reality this is what a congress and senators do every day.  They are refining the laws by adding new laws to enhance, change, and clarify existing laws and sometimes to cover loop holes.

I see this parity act as being no different.  It simply clarifies that HOAs should consider ham intentions.  It is an enhancement., a modification.   And I think anyone like myself that lives in an HOA certainly does not want the HOA on our bad side because we blindly went for a mega-tower.  If this passes, I would make a formal proposal same as I would for a shed.  I'd provide the location and several mocked up views of the antenna... photo with photoshopping to the best of my ability, and then as a reference site the parity act to ensure they at least come to the table.

I will never be the ham that demands to install that 150 foot tower because the parity act says I can and because I *may* provide valuable ecomm.  Sure some will, but I think the majority of us bought into our HOAs because we too liked the neighborhood.  I certainly don't want to see 5 200 foot towers popup in the neighborhood either. 

I have a 1 acre lot.  Much of my lot is invisible from the street. I feel I could put up an 80 meter vertical and probably no one would notice.  I'd like to do that legally rather than have to be stealthy about it.  The parity act at leave gives me the chance to approach the HOA on it with some legal basis behind me.

I also balk at your "good faith" reference.  I think many of us in HOA's had NO CLUE that the HOA would be like it is.  I certainly had no clue we'd have the HOA Gods strolling about issuing citations for a trash container left out 1 minute over the 24 hour time frame.  The funny thing is my neighbor got such a citation took it to her lawyer who practically fell over laughing.  He advised her not to pay the $20 fine.  Of course this led to a "late notice".  My neighbor was forced to have her attorney write a letter warning off the HOA God.   The issue died.  Strangely enough that same HOA God had his boat parked in this driveway (a clear violation of our CCRs) for 2 weeks.  When approached he said "I'm on the Board and I authorized this deviation and oh ya my storage space is being maintained so I had no choice but to bring my boat here!"

That is the story of our HOA.  The HOA Gods could put up a Rohn 200 footer and claim the authorized the deviation.  When a regular mortal tries to string a dipole the Gods go crazy and starting throwing lightning bolts.

Anyway I think I've heard enough of this.  I will vote for it.  Not that I intend to erect an unsitely huge antenna farm.   But for the chance I could ask for and be heard to put up a plain and simple antenna.

If you or others believe this is signing then wiggling out of the deal, then I'm sorry.  That is not how I view this at all.  In my opinion I cannot put up my antenna without HOA approval regardless of parity act or not.  

My current stealth antenna is actually a tree monitoring device to ensure the health of my cotton wood tree.  :-)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.