Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

AL-60B with QSK Board

I have just purchased an AL-80B with QSK board mounted. How do I hook this to my Flex 6300?

Answers

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Would it not  just hook up to the amp keying lead on the Radio or am I missing something.  What does the manual for the AL60 show as it would be the same for any HF rig?

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    A buffer like the Ameritron ARB-704 is recommended but not really needed.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/ameritron-arb-704-flex-6500-and-ameritron-al-80b-am...
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    RLY:CAUTION!! This jack must always be directly connected to the
    transceivers QSK output line. NEVER attempt to operate the
    amplifier without this jack properly connected. Do not connect
    any devices between this jack and the transceiver.
    This jack provides the connection from the Key 2 terminal (D) of
    the circuit board. This jack has 5 volts open circuit and supplies
    a maximum of 1 mA of current. This jack must be pulled
    low (below 2 volts) at least 1 mS before RF is applied to the
    amplifier. The jack must not be returned to an open circuit
    condition before RF is removed from the amplifier. Failure to
    comply with these restrictions will damage the amplifier or the
    QSK board.
    The QSK board will inhibit the receive signals for one mS after
    this jack returns to an open or "high" condition.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    DOT NOT use some kind of buffer between the amp and the qsk board.  When I was running QSK 5 boards I drove the board with the earliest TX signal I could get out of the rig.  You don't want some dumb buffer slowing down the TX signal.  The whole point of using this switch is to do QSK.  For the flex 6k I would just use the rca plug on the back with no delays in the switching line.  The board is sensitive if you try to drive it while still in receive as in you forgot to connect the RCA jack or the amp is in line but rca jack is turned off.  The designer, I believe W8JI used a couple of 12v lamps as fuses in the case you are not switched to transmit.  The lamps will absorb energy and light up till they **** so you can send CQ and your amp will look like a Christmas tree with the reaction of ****???  Very cleaver idea and the receive diodes are protected.  Keep some bulbs on hand  I just used some from Radio Shack but I don't remember the current.  The current and bulb voltage is in the QSK manual but it's not hyper-critical.  If it says 75ma and you have 100ma bulbs good enough

73  W9OY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.