Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

AGC setting

Len
Len Member
I was listening to a weak DX station and when the other station came back to him he was so loud.

I am using a 6500.

I thought AGC was supposed to take care of this      I think I was on Fast AGC    also I keep forgetting what are the best settings for Digital      SSB and   CW     

Thanks for any help

Len WA7ZXZ

Answers

• John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited April 2015
    Best for SSB is slow.....
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I Use fast for CW & Digi (& AM, too)
    I use Slow on a quiet band for SSB.
    On a noisier band, or a round table with a mix of strong and weak signals, I use MED.
    (Slow/Med on SSB is a mater of personal preference.  For me, on 80 & 160 rag chews, I have found that SLOW takes a bit too long to recover and will block the weaker signals for a few seconds after a very strong one stops transmitting....)

But the important thing is to tune to a quiet spot between stations and adjust the AGC-T (Threshold)
    slide the slider to the left until the background just begins to decrease. this is the "sweet spot" or "Knee" of the AGC Threshold.  When you get the knee adjustment just right, it will make the signals come up out of the noise, even with AGC in FAST.  This AGC-T is one of the most important adjustment, and often overlooked tricks to getting maximum performance out of the 6000 series.

Good Luck,
    Ken - NM9P

• Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Len Ken is correct here is the manuals answer. image Ian
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Len,
    The AGC-T setting can change based on the band, current conditions, and even the direction your antenna it pointing (assumes a rotatable gain antenna),  In other words,  it can require frequent attention.  Here is an idea that would provide an option to automate the setting. 

Check it out and add your vote if you would like to see this added.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/option-to-automate-the-agc-t-setting

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    But Ken's answer is so much more informative than the man page.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.