Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

After last Win upgrade CAT won't work - won't uninstall - can't be repaired... HELP!

Gary
Gary Member

Flex6700 purchased used ... had installed 1.9.7 the day before the big Win10 upgrade. Had everything on over night - the next day the computer screen showed that it had obviously been restarted ... had a box that said something like " SmartSDR requires the services of FlexVSP, please install" and a red x through it ... I did some research and decided to uninstall all that I had. Started with the two versions of SSDR, 1.8.4 and 1.9.7. Then using Programs and Features I uninstalled DAX and finally got to VSP. It would not uninstall. It would not repair (it said it needed a file from 1.8.4 folder - which had already been uninstalled!!) ... looked for ghosted ports - nothing - looked for folder remnants - nothing. Did a Ticket I believe that Sunday now almost 2 weeks ago. That's not resolved it and the last time I got a Flex response was 9 days ago... any suggestions anyone? I've been told by a user to reinstall Windows - I would very much rather not do that nor do I think one should have to go to that extreme (although I realize that might have to be done). Computers now days don't come with an OS on media - so I'm not even sure how I'd go about doing that. I'm open to suggestions. I was rather hoping Flex would be able to tell me what, say in the registry, needed to be deleted or somesuch thing.

Just for clarification I still have the box that says it needs VSP and that it has to be installed and I still have FlexVSP in the Programs and Features list. I can't get rid of it. Because when I tried to repair the VSP file I got a message that said it can't find a file it needed in a 1.8.4 folder I reinstalled 1.8.4 hoping that would provide that file and finally either allow me to repair and then uninstall it or just uninstall it. When I run repair now it goes through steps and ends with "Fatal error on installation"  ... when I try doing an uninstall it goes through what appears to be an uninstall and then ends - with the FlexVSP still there.

Help!?

Comments

• Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Have you tried removing the Windows 10 Anniversary update? 

Open Settings Menu and "Update & Security" then "Recovery" then "Go back to an Earlier build" (this must be done within 10 days of the update though...

You can also try "Reset this PC" which is effectively a reinstall. It does look like something went wrong during the Anniversary update.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

No, earnestly, I tried Windows 10 on one spare PC and decided to stay with Windows 7 (not 8.1!!!). I did not have any problems with that OS since I bought my first FlexRadio 8 years ago.
    SmartSDR works like a charm, no problems there whatsoever. So it's all OS related and Windows 10 seems to create a lot of problems with it's updates, something I have never experienced with Windows 7. Now if you have a new PC it will not be possible to downgrade, but you could buy a Windows 7 OS on ebay or amazon...

I hope you can solve your problem, 73, Alex - DH2ID
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Maybe this will work

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers?_g...

How to Manually Re-Install DAX Drivers

Also there are uninstall and install files in each directory including Registry cleanup, etc

Had so much fun with Windows 10 but after doing this, seems to work on my Flex6700

73 Mike
  • Gary
    Gary Member
    edited December 2016

Doesn't matter - if Flex is **** up by WIndows then it is in essence a Flex problem isn't it?! One shouldn't have to rely on old versions of the OS to feel safe - just like you upgrade the radio to the latest you should ALWAYS update your OS to the latest for the same reason. It shouldn't get hosed.

• Gary
    Gary Member
    edited June 2020
    First thanks to the suggestions ... however I fixed it just after posting this this morning. I went in to Device Manager and tried again to see if there were any ghosted COM ports ... there weren't - I had properly looked including "show hidden" ... then I noticed in the DM list an "Unknown Devices" ... under it were 2 "Unknown Devices" ... looking in their properties I couldn't find any reference to anything - another program, A program ... nothing ... there was something in the description that led me to believe they were here as a result of a ... for lack of a better term, **** up ... don't remember the verbiage exactly but it seemed to imply this ... so I deleted them. Then I went to Programs and Features and tried to uninstall FlexVSP - It WORKED! FINALLY. I have since downloaded 1.9.13, installed it (and got the proper CAT panel) and have now also upgraded the radio and I can now use it with CAT ports once again.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    These issues are by no means unique to SSDR.  We were at a medical appointment yesterday and they were lamenting the fact that their computers had upgraded Win10 over the weekend and they were having problems with their specialized software.  In the case of Flex upgrades or repairs after a Windows upgrade, there is a simple solution.  I've been using RevoPro Uninstaller for the past couple of years.  Whenever a new version of SSDR is released, I let Revo do a COMPLETE uninstall using their advanced scan which removes all traces of SSDR, including registry entries, files, folders, and drivers.  Basically, it leaves you with a totally clean computer on which to do a new installation (or re-installation in the case of a Win10-caused problem).  I have no financial interest in RevoPro, but I cannot help but be a cheerleader for them, as they've made the process totally painless, at least for me.  I can do a complete uninstall & upgrade in less than 10 minutes, from shutting everything down, upgrading both computer & Maestro and bringing back up the 6 or 7 radio-related programs I always have running.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019

What does FRS say when you call them?

Letting a Win10 Box do an unattended upgrade when SmartSDR is running just doesn't turn out very well.  Win10 seems to ignore what is running and one wonders if the buy-up to a controllable update system version was Microsoft's intent all along?

The RevoPro Uninstaller at under $20 for single license up to $35 for an unlimited license seems a pretty good deal compared to the upgrade to Win10 if the only thing needed is recovery from Win10 update troubles.

One wonders if the SmartSDR for iOS and DogparkSDR (for OSX) are the future if Microsoft doesn't correct its Win10 abuse of the end user with uncontrollable updating?

Circling back, I'd give FRS a call, as I would guess they are waiting for you while you are waiting for them, or something like that.

GL and 73

Steve K9ZW

• Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I just went back to Win7 after experiencing terrible issues with Win10 on my ASUS i7 4790 tower. Even with a clean install had major issues with WSJT-X and DAX corruption. Enough for me. Win 7 was fine with the ocassional DAX transmit channel corruption. Reinstalling Win7 was a nightmare but worth it in the end.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited October 2016
    Well, Do not feel bad, my Flex6700 was working great last night, Windows 10 did an update when I shutdown. What a disaster !, Nothing works ! Nada ! Etc !!!

On v1.8.4

Can not believe FRS uses Windows and even Embedded Windows for Maestro

Think of getting OSX based machines and Ras-Pi interfaces to get rid of this nightmare 
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    I won't say Flex doesn't need a solution for their Microsoft woes. I will say Apple is not the solution.

Why do so many other software and hardware products just seem to work? Why do so many of these vendors seem to come out with patches before Microsoft releases an update? Why is it that our OS, our computers, our networking gear and ourselves all seem to be the problem when Flex gear is in use?

Quit thinking there's no problem with the tail wagging the dog. This happens over and over and over again with Flex products. We as users are expected to go through a ritual to correct the problem and I believe Flex needs to take on some of the responsibility. A helpdesk ticket should not be considered business as usual. Neither should jacking around with COM port drivers or reinstalling software. During this latest Win10 update I did not have to change a single thing about the hardware or software associated with my computer - except for Flex.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited October 2016
    The DAX continually breaks because of non recognized Microsoft drivers and FRS 
    keeps using them with old DOS cmd prompt commands very frustrating
    after closing windows and it auto updates without my permission

Then I turn on my 2 computers with, Win10 Pro 64, Win 10 Home 32,
    Flex drivers missing because Windows did something

Had to give up on REMOTE control of my Flex6700 

Only works hard wired 3rd PC computer not tied to Internet and non remote 
    control thru CAT Ethernet port directly ! This because I need no DAX drivers
    when direct and get Audio thru front plug from Flex6700 directly

So there goes the REMOTE idea with all this Windows Mess

Never seen such a mess with Microsoft and Flex Products !

Guess that why I still have Elecraft & Icom Products still in the Shack !

Hoping IOS or Linux OS could be a better way to go, Microsoft really is a mess
    for FlexRadio Systems

Wonder what the International Space Station uses on ISS, hard wired EtherNet,
    in their use of Flex6700R's, slices, could not survive DAX exchange driver missing and Windows updates in Space otherwise it would be a disaster !
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Most, if not all, of these problems don't occur if DAX and CAT are not running when the Windows updates are applied.  One possible solution might be for Flex to change the default that starts DAX and CAT whenever the computer is booted up and force both programs to close when SSDR is closed and start when SSDR is started. The other option is for the user to delete DAX and CAT from the startup folder and manually start and stop them when the radio is not in use.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    edited October 2016
    Maybe or maybe not a fix? 
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Uninstall SmartSDR say its OK to uninstall drivers. Uninstall FlexVSP.  Run SmartSDR install...all is good.
  • Gary
    Gary Member
    edited December 2016
    SInce I'm getting continued suggestions please read my post of - well its not time stamped so I can't say ...anyway I found the solution and the problem has been fixed. It didn't take all the extreme suggestions like reinstalling Windows ... it just took finding an "Unknown Devices" entry in Device Manager and, after at least confirming that wasn't for something else (couldn't tell WHAT it was for) I deleted it - then I was finally able to uninstall FlexVSP and get back to normal. This actually makes me feel more comfortable - as stated - one should NOT have to reinstall the OS! Period!
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Gary, thank you for sharing your experience. I had never run into that one before. I will add that to my list of diagnostic questions for when I try to "Elmer" other flex users. Glad you got it running. SDR's, and especially the Flex-6000 series, offer unparalleled performance. But they can be extremely frustrating when something goes amiss. The advantage is that with the Flex Community we can help each other....and sometimes the ones with the problem helps the others when they fix it themselves and shares their experiences! Good luck, Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.