Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Advantages of the built in ATU ?

Hi folks,
Have not placed an order yet, as I am still sifting through information. Is there any advantage to the build-in ATU ? I have a LDG AT-600ProII that I have had really good luck with and would prefer to use it UNLESS I would be compromising some other significant features.

The only feature I can think of off-hand is the ATU frequency memory. Once the power is shut off on the LDG, you would need to re-tune each frequency you had in memory, as they would be lost. I am sure I must be missing some other advantages. Thanks! (apologies if this has been asked before)
73 Jim, WQ2H

Answers

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    User Preference for sure!!! My 6600M came with the tuner built in.. When using my Carolina Windom antenna I must use my external tuner, but for other antennas, the internal tuner is perfect,, My Yaesu FT-991 has a built in tuner, but I purchased an external MFJ-939 tuner for it.. Again it just depends on what you plan on doing with the radio!! The unique thing about Flex is the External SmartSDR software.. So having the internal tuner makes remote operation a snap, and the internal tuner allows for full integration.. I am sure you will get other opinions also..

Robert
    Flex 660M 
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Jim. Just a note, the LDG tuner has 2000 memories that it maintains even when the power is shut down.

I have a 6500 with ATU and have not regretted the purchase at all.

Roy - W5TKZ  
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited July 2018
    Hi Roy,

The 600ProII actually has 4000 memories, 2000 for each of the 2 antennas. I've had this for a few years and my experience is that sometimes it will, but most often it will not. The manual (Rev A) does not actually stipulate - but it is still a very robust tuner. The work-around is to simply leave it powered, which I have done ever since. 
    I think having the ATU integrated into the software is a good idea. Tell me, is there any indication of how many memories are being used, and possibly their contents? That might be overkill - but, interesting.

73 Jim, WQ2H
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The type of tuner that comes with the Flex 6XXX (if you order it) is the type that is designed to match a resonant antenna using 52 ohm coax.  It helps the radio match to an antenna of maybe 2/1 or less SWR.  It is not designed to match the rig to a high impedance antenna such as a G5RV.  I always use resonant antennas and thus like the built in Flex ATU to match the antenna to the rig.  Right now I am using a Steppir, which has close to a perfect match so I really don't need the ATU.  But it is nice to have in case I use other antennas in the future.
  • Ron WD5FUN
    Ron WD5FUN Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I too have the LDG AT-600ProII and ordered my 6400M without an AT.  I have never had a situation where I thought the internal tuner would be an advantage.
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    i like the internal tuner because it saves space on my operating position desk.
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The on-board ATU is fine so long as you are not running power.
    as soon as you attach an Amplifier you need a tuner built in to the amp or an outboard tuner.
    For me, resonant antennas are the best bet - less to remember :)
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

I vote for getting the internal ATU to augment the LDG (only one active at a time of course).

On occasion the internal ATU may find a match when the external ATU can't.  For example, on certain portions of 160M my internal Flex tuner can make a match when my LDG-1000 cannot.  Sometimes the other way around.

Also, it will probably make the radio easier to sell if/when you decide to trade up.

BTW, my (and most) “resonant” antennas have limited bandwidth, and I use a tuner to extend the bandwidth. 

Howard

• Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    You need a Windom, Fan, dipole. Mine works with the 6400 tuner from 160 to 6 Meters.
    http://craigwilliams.com/radio/shack/index.html#March

• KB4OIF
    KB4OIF Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    My 6400M has the ATU installed.  I also have a LDG 600 pro II.  The pro II at times did not like the amp.  When I was using the 6400M without the amp it does a good job on fairly resonant antenna's.  I now own a Palstar AT2KD.  to answer your question, include the ATU.  Maty need it down the road.  My amp is down so I am using the ATU to tune the windom.

John
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hi Jim.. I would also vote for getting the internal ATU.  Your mileage may vary, but for me, the ATU in my 6500 is superior in terms of matching to my antenna farm to the LDG AT200 I was originally using.  With the internal ATU, I can just 'set and forget' and operate over almost all of the HF bands (and 6m!) without any fuss.  And that's on both a 43ft vertical and a 'shortened' G5RV in my attic.
    With the LDG, I found there were certain parts of the bands (especially on 10m and parts of 80) that it couldn't find a match, or was doing very weird things (too much SWR?).  But the internal ATU seems to handle the same scenarios just fine.

Don

• Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Let me add one more thing... I have a Dentron MLA-2500 Linear... A real workhorse in a relatively compact size... However the input match is not perfect.. I find matching the 6600M to the input of the linear helps keep the radio SWR down to 1:1 to 1 range.. Then I use a Vectronics  HFT1500 tuner to match the Linear to my Carolina Windom Antenna... Having a near perfect match help keep spurious signals from affecting the neighbors consumer electronic equipment..  Also keeping those nasty sheath currents near zero helps TVI and other forms of interference..  Happy 4th folks!!! 
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The internal tuner has 2 advantages over any ldg tuner they are 1 .. size the internal tuner is well internal takes up no added space or gets noise from a wall wart powering the ldg tuner.. 2 .. Most Important unless you want to fidget with an ldg tuner such as the at1000 or at600 selecting your own values by buttons then the best you get with an ldg tuner is 1.7 to 1 match since that is the lowest auto setting for any ldg tuner and the reason I will never use or buy another one. The flex tuner matches to 1.2 or better seamlessly and once set as you tune down the dial you can hear the relay click when you cross the threshold when it sets a new match value thus you know when and where to retune to set the memory.
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Jim, it is odd that you lose the memories. Something may be bad with the flash.

I am not aware of any way to view the ATU memories in the Flex. I agree that a feature like that is a bit of an overkill. Think about looking through 4000 memories!

Happy 4th.

Roy - W5TKZ  
  • WQ2H - Jim Poulette
    edited March 2020
    This has been ANSWERED (for me anyway). I ordered with the ATU. Lots of pros, not many cons. Thanks to all that replied.
    73 Jim, WQ2H

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.