Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Adjusting Audio for Cleaner QSK Sidetone Flex6000

Steve N4LQ
Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
edited August 2016 in New Ideas
There are 3 volume level controls....Master, Slice Receiver and Sidetone. If the master level is set low, slice and sidetone must be turned up high and this produces nasty distortion products when keying, especially in QSK. The cure I found is to set the Master Level (top right on screen) to maximum then decrease the sidetone and slice for a comfortable level. Also keep the RF gain near the band noise level. Do the same when using headphones. Keep the master headphone level at max and adjust everything else down. 73 Steve N4LQ

Comments

• Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Also, as I bring my audio into the computer there is also audio adjustments in the computer and on the front of the speakers.

The chain of volumes looks like this:
    1.  Sidetone
    2.  Slice Receiver
    3.  Master
    4.  Computer input / output / master
    5.  volume knob on speakers

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I just route the audio from the Flex 6300 to the speakers, not the computer.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I was bringing the audio through the computer for digital modes before DAX. I continue to bring the audio through the computer not for digital modes, but for the simplicity of having one knob to turn off all audio in the shack with one knob. Also I don't have to bother with locating a second set of speakers.
  • Lee
    Lee Member
    edited May 2014

Where is the RF gain?

All I see is on the ANT menu a setting that has either 0 or 20. (Pre-Amp??)

Also under audio on the slice I see a setting slider ,,,I guess it is AGC?

Thanks,

Lee

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Next to the AGC menu in the RX window is the RF Gain as it is sometimes called. I guess technically it's something else. Its setting varies per band and conditions.
  • Lee
    Lee Member
    edited May 2014

According to the book...the RF gain is in the ANT menu pop-out...but mine only has 0 or 20 not variable.

Next to the AGC settings (off, fast, med, slow) is a variable setting ...I assume that is the AGC thresh hold??

Lee

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Yea I guess you're right. My RF gain slider is stuck. I assume that is for the pre amp on the other models. Anyway....I try to keep that AGC slider backed down as far as possible. It helps with the QSK noise somewhat especially on nights like this. Wow the QRN is loud.
  • Lee
    Lee Member
    edited May 2014

Were supposed to have a pre-amp on the 6300 too...I think that is the 20 setting...

OK, FB on the AGC...the book does talk about the rf gain and that 0 - 20 control says RF Gain on it..

What gives??

No RF Gain?

Lee

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    No I'm sure the 6300 doesn't have a preamp there fore the slider is dead.
  • Lee
    Lee Member
    edited May 2014

Here is the 6300 spec from the site:

Receiver Specifications
    • Receiver Architecture: Direct Digital Sampling
    • Spectral Capture Units: One (1)
    • Maximum Slice Receivers: Two (2)
    • Maximum High Resolution Spectrum Displays: Two (2)
    • Maximum Panadapter Width:  7 MHz
    • ADC Resolution:  16-bits
    • ADC Sampling Rate:  122.88 Msps
    • Wideband Frequency Coverage:  30 kHz – 54 MHz
    • DAX IQ Channels / Bandwidth Per Channel:  Two (2) @ 24 kHz – 96 kHz
    • DAX Audio Channels:  Two (2)
    • Amateur Band Preselector Coverage:  NA
    • Preamplifiers / Attenuators:  0 to +20 dB
    • Spurious and Image Rejection Ratio:  80 dB or better
    • External Powered Speaker Output Impedance Level:  600 Ohm Stereo Unbalanced

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.