Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Adjacent Station Interference v1.9

David
David Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
I wonder if anyone else has noticed a difference in the level of filtering on adjacent stations with the SSDR v1.9 release? It could just me but it seems to me that the brick wall filtering isn't as solid on keeping them silent with this release. Just curious.

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017

I have both a 5000 and a 6500 and notice no difference in the out of band rejection. Could be you are confusing in-band stuff with out of band stuff. If there is "bleed over" from an adjacent station due to non-linearity, etc. it is a "valid" in band frequency and you will here it.

Jim, K6QE

• Lewis Cheek
    Lewis Cheek Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I assume you know, with this release one may adjust sharpness of filters, I don't know if default changed or not from prior release.

Lew
    N4CO
  • Kevin LaFata
    Kevin LaFata Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    David,  I was operating last weekend for the first time with 1.9.. And did end up asking myself if something was a little different  (hearing stations 1-2 KHz away, when I didn't remember that being an issue before).  I haven't played with the new filter options yet, so it could very well be it. Maybe the defaults are less sharp.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sounds like were sensing the same thing. I will have to try the filter out of the auto mode to sharp (the next and last notch up in the slider).
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Who said anything about out of band?
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    if you haven't changed them already, then I found the default filter settings to be less than ideal for DX/contest working (too soft on the slope). The first thing I did was to set them back to the sharp end of the scale and manual not auto.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am trying the manual sharp now and the behavior seems be more like I recall. It would be interesting to see the actual slopes for each setting look like and what network bandwidth differences there are between them.
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    When running the RTTY contest and using MMTTY and 2Tone I could tell by looking at the signal displays for these apps how the filter was changing just by looking at the noise floor. The low latency wide filter was a nice bell curve while the high latency sharp filter really displayed sharp skirts.

I don't know how latency affects anything but the general shape of the filter became pretty obvious.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    The wider the skirts the lower the latency In fact, the low latency shapes were added to assist contesting with faster turn around times by spending less time in the fitter system you get less sharp filters.
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    faster turns are nice on CW, but of no use in SSB contests if you are going to get clobbered by S9+40 sigs over 5kHz away, as is often the case in the bigger EU contests.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Which is why the filters are adjustable by MODE - so for SSB they can remain Brick Wall Sharp
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I wonder how the auto setting logic works. It would seem for SSB it would default sharp keeping the Flex brick wall standard in place. But maybe the auto does some sensing and adjusts as necessary. In the limited comparison testing of low latency to sharp I didn't perceive and latency difference but I am not a contester so I probably don't know what to pay attention to to notice.

Thank you everyone for pointing out the filters.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Filters on CW contesting.  The slightly wider slope is great; the broad setting not so. 

On a cluttered band, or with heavy noise/weak signals I move the filters in to under 200Hz.  BUT: With the old filters a station answering slightly off frequency would not be heard, at all; only clue was a signal on the panadapter.  Now that signal is just audible, enough to catch a call. 

Then there were the days with a couple of crystals.  Someone answering could be as much as 25Khz away, and I'm now complaining about 200Hz off frequency;  times have changed.

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Calling CQ and then tuning a big dial above and below your Xtal frequency was a great thrill when you heard a weak signal pounding out your call 20 kHz away. Always gave me goosebumps. T/R Latency was measured by how fast I could flip the knifeblade antenna switch. haha ...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.