Adios!

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered

Well it seems a computer connected SDR won't be in my future.  I am hoping to retire soon....sell the house and the wife, dog, cat and I are going to full-time in a 5th wheel RV for 2-3 years and then find some small place to settle once and for all.  Will likely setup a small simple station tucked away in the RV at some point.  Even though I've been off the air for awhile it has been fun keeping up on things here. 

How does one disengage from this system?

73!

Greg

AB7R

Photo of Greg

Greg

• 656 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Neal - K3NC

Neal - K3NC, Elmer

• 524 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
Sounds like a lot of fun, we did a 30 day car trip completely around the US this summer and it was the best trip of our 38 years of marriage!

Look forward to your return Greg!
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 345 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
Keep the cat
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 947 Posts
  • 257 Reply Likes
Quick question - does your wife like the RV lifestyle? I bought myself a retirement present of an RV, and the better half decided that she preferred hotels exclusively. 

Now it gets borrowed by friends, mostly.

But I coulda bought a Tesla!
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 345 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
Use the RV, let someone borrow the wife
(Edited)
Photo of Joe - KK9TT

Joe - KK9TT

• 23 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
You don't need to give up your Flex! I just got a 6300, run it with a tiny Mac Mini & Parallels, have Hamstick Dipoles for 20 & 40 on a 30' fiberglass mast, and just got the SSDR iOS app working, too. Not a big gun station but plenty of fun in the motorhome we've been traveling in full time for the past 3 years. Welcome to the RV lifestyle. Keep the Flex !
Photo of Larry - WA7LZO

Larry - WA7LZO

• 179 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes

Alternatively, for your particular application, you may want to consider an Icom IC-7300 SDR transceiver, connected to the Icom AH-760 mobile antenna. No PC is required! This set-up will give you 160 thru 10 M continuous coverage, and it will automatically tune from any band to any other band in 1 second typical, and about 300 msecs from memory. You can expect to work QSO's world wide. I do exactly this from a mobile. Have fun!

Br,

Larry

Photo of Greg

Greg

• 656 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Was considering something like that when the 7610 comes out.
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 855 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Greg, sounds very good, but no chance to leave SDR technology , you will come back to high resolution Pan and waterfall, all -in-one screen , manage all from one PC, however in you traveling Maestro will help you defenetely !
(Edited)
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 656 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Thanks Surgey....you're a great guy! We'll see....I guess anything is possible. :)
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Adios. Safe travels.
(Edited)
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 656 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Thanks Mike. Still going to be awhile before it happens but just getting ducks lined up.
Photo of George - AB4FH

George - AB4FH

• 63 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Best wishes for a happy RV retired life, Greg. I can't thank you enough for your 6700. I enjoy it everyday.
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 656 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Hi George! I never see posts from you so I was not sure if you were still active. We still have to make sure flex issues you the ver 2 I purchased originally. Whenever that happens is you have any issues let me know. It was either Eric or Steve who said it was ok.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4175 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
Good luck, Greg.  
I also have had a fantasy of "Full-timing" for a few years in an RV until we decide where we want to settle.
However, our 9 year-old will either be beginning High School or College as we retire, depending upon when we decide to pull the switch.  So these plans are likely to change somewhat....

If I do get a small Class A, I will probably find a location under a bed or in a storage compartment and remote the 6500 via a wireless router/access point and use the IOS app on iPad or iPhone when in motion, and my laptop SSDR when stationary.

In any case, have fun in the new lifestyle.

I have used an ICOM IC706MK2G with remote control head in my '99 Roadtrek 190 Popular for about 10 years.  I also used it in a 27 ft. Coachmen Leprechaun Class C.  I made a little wooden stand set on the dinette and I could move the control head from the front to the dinette whenever we were parked.  It worked very nicely.   The big problems were 1) engine noise when driving, and 2) lots of noise and hash generated by the AC to DC charge converter when connected to shore power.  

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 656 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
I thought of that Ken and may be a possibility. One of my concerns is sometimes being in a place with no internet connection....if something goes wrong I have no way to get new FW files.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4175 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
Keep a copy on your laptop of the last two that are known to be good. Keep backup copies on your Dropbox, One Drive, or other online Cloud system, or on a thumb drive. Do the same with an export of your profiles. If something goes wrong you can at least function until you get to an Internet connection.

If nothing else you can go to a library and download a firmware install file to a usb stick and take it back to your laptop for installation.

There are lots of ways to get around not having an Internet connection.

I remember about 20 years or so ago, before WiFi was popular, going to a library in some small town like Banff, Canada with a 3.5" floppy in hand to email important documents to my UMC Annual Conference Office. I had edited them on my old 286 laptop and needed to email them while on vacation.

The secretaries wondered how I did it.
It wasn't common to do that in those days of 56K dialup!
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3539 Reply Likes
Official Response
How does one disengage from this system?

Here's what to do -
1. When your back in the forum hover your mouse cursor over your name in the upper right of your window.
2. Click on Email & Notifications.
3. Uncheck all the boxes.
4. Click the green box that says Save Emails & Notifications.......

Do the same with the Community Notifications at the bottom. At a later time, if you wish, you can re-enable any or all of these boxes. 
(Edited)
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 571 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Vaya con dios, hermano

73, w5xz, dan