Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Additional Maestro in final development questions

Steve K9ZW
Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows

As it seems that the community has trouble indexing larger threads, having dropped the questions I asked into obscurity a couple pages in even though they were recently asked, I'll re-ask them:

Thank you Steve N5AC for all the info in the reply!

I did pick up on the mention of Ver1 and Ver2 - but perhaps that was simply a way of describing the roll-out feature set become richer with later updates?

There is a LOT of positive to what Maestro will do for a ham - personally I already see how it will open up the possibilities for my vacation QTH site shack design with the LAN removing the need to be in absolute proximity of the radio rack.  I'm thinking to use a Maestro along with a Pad to let me move my operating station to anywhere around the QTH's wireless network footprint.  Rack of gear can remain physically secure in a server room type environment while I operate from the deck enjoying nature while piling on QSOs.  Very fine vision.

Since I'm asking questions:
  • Will the configuration of a Maestro be clone-able to another Maestro if I had more than one?
  • Will the Flex-6x00 have a timer watchdog or deadman feature to stop transmitting and/or shut down if network to the Maestro is lost?
  • Can a Maestro be configured to require a PIN to start a session, or is another security method planned?
  • The mention of checking for update via internet, will a non-internet connected private LAN Maestro require occasional internet hookup, or could updates be brought to the private network to seed the update?  (Thinking of my Island efforts - often without much in the way of internet).
  • Could a Maestro used in the occasional access to internet seed a SmartSDR version update to the remote LAN?
  • Or is there a better strategy for handling potentially a mix of version levels that might evolve?
[And from a follow up post:]  Will the spec sheet we updated as follow up to all these great questions and bits of information?

Again many thanks for putting up with all the questions and hoping Maestro is the success it feel like it should be!

Steve
K9ZW

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    The Flex 6x00 has a transmit timer in the transmitter setup section.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Thinking also of a lost-handshake situation where a keyed-up Maestro lost connectivity to its Flex-6x00 radio.  Regaining control of the PTT to unkey perhaps should happen independent of the timer?

Or maybe you're right that the timer will be enough?

Steve

K9ZW

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    SmartSDR already does this if the client connection is broken and the radio firmware is still running.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.