Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Add Preamp and AGC status to the Panadapter bar

Al_NN4ZZ
Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
It would be helpful to visualize the antenna preamp status and the AGC setting without having to open those tabs.  If you have either one set slightly off it can cause issues that you may not notice right away.  Keeping the status in the forefront would help.   (or maybe it just happens to me...)

My idea is to add status for those 2 settings to the "panadapter title bar."   In addition, displaying the actual values would be useful.   (Note: the display would need to be tailored for the 6300 but the idea is the same)

See the attached snapshot....by the way the mockup shows the text in RED but it probably should be WHITE.

If you thinks this would be helpful, please click the LIKE button to give your vote. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Click to enlarge.....

Comments

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Just realized that the AGC status would have to be per SLICE....so maybe not worth the effort.  But it would be nice to display the numeric value in either place it is displayed without having to mouse over to see it. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I like numbers!!!!!
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Alternative for AGC values if it would be too cluttered to add to the panadapter bar above each slice -- add the value to FLAG and RX PANEL

Numbers are good -- easier than trying to guess based on position of the slider. 

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    See this idea for adding a line to display a line on the panadapter for the AGC.   I combined both ideas in this mockup.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/adjustable_horizontal_agc_t_bar_in_panadapter?topic...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

CLICK to view full size....

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Updated Preamp status and numeric value mockup....

-10 db
    0 db
    +10 db
    +20 db 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Very nice.  would allow precise adjustment.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

Very nice.  Even just the line without the value would be sufficient - leave the adjustment in the slider so as to limit the amount of code required to implement.    And a simple AGCD button at the bottom to toggle the line on an off.

And as for the value displayed next to the line (you could hover over it to get a value - or refer to the slider)

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Rather than a line all the way across the screen, how about a simple tic-mark and a color change on the slice RX Filter band that indicates the AGC Threshold?  That way, each slice could have it's own display variation, and we could still click & drag the AGC-T  on each slice, just like we do with the filters...
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Ken & Jim,
    Good feedback....here is another option.  Does this seem like it would solve the problem of showing the setting for multiple slices and also address the numeric values question?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

CLICK for full size view. 

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

How about adding a RIGHT CLICK option to set the AGC where the mouse is located as an extra feature.   With the dotted line isolated to each slice.   Like so....  The bar would also move when the slider is used.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That would need to be added to the other "right-click" menu items -- "add new slice" and "set TNF." But I like it.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

I was actually thinking it would be ideal to make it position aware so that when you were near a slice marker and right-click you could set it (the reason for showing the CREATE TNF / SET AGC-T menu).   That way you don't have to select a slice, it would be slice aware also.

I like to keep my display simple and uncluttered - if I put my mouse over something, you can tell me more information - but please turn it off while I do something else.

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I don't know that I would want constant delay of AGC-T numbers, but if it flashed when adjusting, and disappeared a few seconds later like the filter adjustment overlay does, that would be nice. I don't want my pan screen to become too busy. The tic-mark and color change on the filter bar would be nice. This type of display enhancement would be a great way to visualize finding the AGC-T "sweet spot."
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The boxes with the AGC numbers could display when you hover on the line and disappear a few seconds later or when you move, just like the filter width display does.   Keeps the screen from being too busy.  

Or if some folks like the numbers being visible all the time there could be a fade option.
    - 1 second
    - 5 seconds
    - never

We know the developers like providing options....;-)

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.