Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Add support for 2 or more FlexControls from within SSDR

Al_NN4ZZ
Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in New Ideas
Add support to SSDR for Windows to configure and support more than 1 FlexControl.  Currently there are 2 options to support using 2 or more FlexControls.  

1 - Use SSDR for 1 and DDUtil for a second control
2 - Use SDR-Bridge which supports 4 FlexControls

This idea is to provide support for multiple FlexControls directly from SSDR and not require the use of a third party programs.  The FlexControl setting screen would add a COM port drop down and list all of the COM ports that have FlexControls attached.   Select a COM port and configure each FlexControl as desired. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
6700 - HW.................. V 1.9.7.85
SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.9.7.169
Win10

13 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited June 2017
    As always. Great ID  Al

roger
    na4rr
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    One reason I suggested this idea now is that with the V1.10.x release the dependence on DDUTil for peripheral control is reduced for many.  

As more of these kinds of capabilities are added to SSDR, it will easier to eliminate some of the third party programs, related complexity, and potential integration issues.

For most of us there will always be some third party applications to integrate with SSDR but fewer can be better.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................. V 1.9.7.85
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.9.7.169
    Win10

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    After switching my amp and antenna switch to the new USB setup in V1.10.8 the only thing I had using DDUtil was my second FlexControl.   Since I always have the SDR-Bridge running I wanted to see if I could find a setup that let me control one knob from SSDR and the second knob from SDR-Bridge and gave the options that worked for me.  

I found a setup that I like and while it doesn't have the macro feature in DDUtil, it is a good trade-off to run one less program. 

Left knob
    • controlled by SDR-Bridge and tunes the slice selected by IQ1 usually set to "A"
    • Buttons set RIT, AGC, XIT
    • Knob click sets slice tuning
    Right knob
    • controlled by SSDR
    • CWS Button adjusts the CW keyer speed
    • VOL button adjusts the slice volume
    • TUNE button takes control of the active slice (used when operating split and TX is on a different slice from the one SDR-Bridge is controlling)  

SSDR config and SDR-Bridge Knob setup.

SDR-Bridge setup for slice control

Since I always have SDR-Bridge running this works well for me but for others that don't use bridge it would still be nice to control two FlexControls from within SSDR.  And it would be really nice if the SSDR FlexContol setup would allow the buttons to have the macro capabilities like DDUtil provides.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.8
    Win10
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks, Al.  That setup would work for me, too, if I had a second FlexControl.  Maybe Santa will be good to me Then I could move the Maestro back upstairs and use the iPad to TeamViewer back to the shack for SDR-Bridge & logging from there.

Rick/W0FG
  • Tom K3TF
    Tom K3TF Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Sounds like a great addition. I would like the ability to add a second Flexknob, or more, and also add another function filter bandwidth up/down. 

It should be an easy addition for Flex and a way to sell more product.

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Couldn't DDUtil be used for one of the FlexControls and SmartSDR for the other?
    You might be able to test drive dual Flexcontrol operating, while you wait for this to become an option in SmartSDR, at least.

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Jay,
    Yes using DDUtil is an option and I have been using it that way for a few years.  However since I converted my other peripherals (amplifier and antenna switch) to use the new USB feature on the radio, the only thing I was using DDUtil for was the second FlexControl.  

Since I  always have SDR-Bridge running I decided to use it to control the second FlexControl and stop using DDUtil.   One less program to run, KISS.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.8
    Win10

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Al

Whatever works I guess. KISS, used in conjunction with Software Defined Amateur Radio, Does make me smile and giggle though. I thought we were way past simple. image 
     SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• Ignacio EA4OR
    Ignacio EA4OR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Great idea !!

Completely agree. I hope FlexRadio improves the SmartSDR software.

73 de Ignacio EA4OR

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.