Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Adaptor schematic to extend battery connexion

Alberto Girard - VE2ELW
edited June 2020 in Maestro

As it is known, the internal USB connector is pretty short, too short. My power bank fits in crooked and straining the connector wire. I fear that it might pull the Maestro connection  wire out. I would like to build an extension that has a USB A female on one end, and a USB male on the other. The extension would allow ease of connection. If I understand well a USB connector schematic, pins 2 and 3 would not be used with the power bank (data pins), and pin 1 is 5 volts and pin 4 is ground.

If I make such an extension will it work with the Maestro or fry it?

VE2-ELW Alberto

Answers

• Rex K0KP
    Rex K0KP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks Alberto.  I little longer battery cable in the Maestro would be very nice.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If it was me I would buy one of the recommended batteries that fits in the compartment, looks like there are 5 different batteries that will work instead of kludging up the wiring in the Maestro.
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/210311883-Suggested-Battery-Packs-for-Maestro

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    All of my batteries fit in the maestro so the cable has plenty of length. I always use the higher output socket and that requires me to flip the battery over ( front side to back side) but it still fits.
  • Alberto Girard - VE2ELW
    edited July 2018

Thanks to all who have responded, but none have answered my question so far. I am seeking for a technical answer and not for suggestions on buying some other battery pack. Will the adaptor that I am planning to build work or will it fry the Maestro?

Alberto VE2ELW

• Rex K0KP
    Rex K0KP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    yes you should be able to build or retrofit, 24 gage wire minimum for the current carrying conductors, ensure polarity is correct, check to make sure the wire doesn't get too warm, well insulated, and that good engineering practices are followed and you ought to be fine, this is your project though and your responsibility

-or-

check out a product like this, 6.5 inches end to end

https://www.amazon.com/6in-USB-Extension-Adapter-Cable/dp/B000E5CYW8/ref=pd_sim_147_3?_encoding=UTF8...
    edited July 2018

Rex,

Thanks for the answer. I decided to order the product you suggested.

Alberto VE2ELW

• Rex K0KP
    Rex K0KP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Alberto

Thanks and when  you get it post here how well it works.  I need a bit longer cable in my Maestro as well, the cord makes for a very tight fit and doesn't fit very well, the connector mates to the battery at a stretched angle.  I am using one of the recommended batteries too.  The cable could sure use an extra inch or two, and there is room in the battery box for a bit longer cable, at least with the battery I have  When you do this run on battery power for a while and make sure the cable doesn't get too hot, although I don't think it will be a problem.  Good luck.
    edited July 2018

Rex,

OK, I'll write a report when I get it. I will be receiving the extension on July 26th. Thanks again,

Alberto VE2ELW

• Rex K0KP
    Rex K0KP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I discovered there is an extra 2 inches of battery cable length inside the Maestro.  Dell, the maker of the Maestro PC put an obligatory snap on single winding toroid on the cable just where it enters the battery box that hogs the extra cable length.  With that out there is plenty of cable length to affix the USB connector to any battery that will fit the box.  image
  • Rex K0KP
    Rex K0KP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Here is the Dell Computer policy on opening their equipment which does not void the warranty, unless you break something.  So be very careful and don't break pieces and parts.
    ‎11-01-2017 03:10 PM

RE: what if i open the back lid of laptop? warranty void?

The act of disassembling a laptop does not void the purchased warranty. In fact, the online Service Manual walks you through removing the base cover. 
    But, anything you break while disassembling a laptop is not covered. So if you **** the back cover, **** a **** hole, lose a ****, break some internal components, etc. these would not be covered.

The only time these would be covered by the warranty would be if Dell Technical Support via phone, chat, or email told you to disassemble the laptop.
  • Rex K0KP
    Rex K0KP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I am quite sure I will be called out on this, so as a proactive step I offer the following:

What almost no one knows is that these stickers and clauses are illegal under a federal law passed in 1975 called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

"To be clear, federal law says you can open your electronics without voiding the warranty, regardless of what the language of that warranty says."

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.