Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Adapting Flex Radiosport headset from Flex-6500 to Flex-6600

Ron Parsons
Ron Parsons Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in New Ideas
I am using a Flex Radiosport headset with my Flex-6500. It came with a cable with a 1/8" TRS plug and an 8-pin Foster connector for the Mic connector. It also came with a 1/8" to 1/4" TRS adapter since the 6500 has a 1/4" jack for the Phones connector.

The Flex-6600 has 1/8" TRS connectors for both the microphone and headphone sockets.

The 1/8" TRS plug on the headset cable can be used as is with the Flex-6600 Phones connector. However an adapter must be built to adapt the 8-pin Foster connector to the 1/8" TRS microphone input socket.

The following adapter will convert the 8-pin Foster connector to the Flex-6600 microphone input socket.

8-pin Foster chassis connector                        1/8" TRS plug
                  pin 5                                                       shank/ground
                  pin 7                                                       ring  mic(-)
                  pin 8                                                       tip    mic(+)

If you use the orange "button" on the headset for PTT, you can add the following:for PTT
                  pin 6                                                       center pin RCA connector
                  pin 5                                                       ground of RCA connector

I would appreciate comments/feedback on this idea.

Ron W5RKN

Comments

• Jim Jerzycke
    Jim Jerzycke Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Excellent, Ron!

73, Jim  KQ6EA/0
  • Ron Parsons
    Ron Parsons Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I wired this up in a small aluminum box. I hope it works when I get my 6600.

Ron W5RKN

• Ron Parsons
    Ron Parsons Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Sorry, the label "Phones" above should read "Mic"
    Ron W5RKN

• KENT HUFFORD
    KENT HUFFORD Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Save my day. In a rush to get ready for Field Day. Thought I have the correct adapter/connector. Did not work. Followed your wiring pin out, works great. Thanks for your diligent effort. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.