Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Active SmartSDR operator status on the web

K5CG
K5CG Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I would imagine most SmartSDR users are at home or at least operating while connected to the Internet. Would it be possible for SmartSDR users to be able to opt-in to allow their operating status to appear on a FlexRadio.com website somewhere? Status could be pushed from SmartSDR to the web service in near real time. Frequency, Mode, Callsign, Name etc. It would make finding other SmartSDR users a real breeze.

6 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Interesting idea.  I can see some being interested and others not wanting to even come near such a thing.

I don't think Flex would want to put something like this in the SSDR software but it would not be hard at all to write a small utility that people could run that would do this.  It could connect to their radio, get the current TX slice and mode and under the operators control publish that you are active and the frequency you are working.

I will try putting something like this together for fun and see if we get any interest.  You get credit for the idea of course!

Mark - WS7M
  • Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Might be fun. Put the location on a Google map Mark.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sounds great guys. I really see this as a help for newbies like myself. It would be much easier to get on the air help with settings and "how to's" if you could get help specifically from another SmartSDR user. Compare various mic setups etc. Make a sked, come find me on the SmartSDR Status page.

If it helps any I have virtualized infrastructure (XenServer 6.5) at home and I can offer hosting the web server on a Ubuntu VM.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    As an alternative, there's a few Flex operators that roam through #FlexRadio on freenode from time to time. We might be able to coordinate Skeds there.
    Not being done at the present time, but I don't think anyone would mind the traffic. 
    If they did, creating a #FlexRadio-Skeds channel would solve that problem.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    This sounds like a fun project and I'll do a little work on it.

I think I'll start small.  The first version will simply upload to a web server and I'll provide a page with a table listing so you can go there, refresh the page and see at the top who's on and where. 

I think the little app could have a button you could press to upload a line like "Hey I'm on 7.050 and calling CQ"  the alternative would be just an upload of where you last transmitted.

Once we get that working then I'll look at populating a google map.

Anyway I'll keep this open to suggestions on features but the basic functionality would be:

A place to input your call, locator, perhaps lat/long and save it
    For you guys lucky enough to have 5 or 6 flex radios a way to select which radio to monitor
    A checkbox to enable updates to the web service
    A button so send an immediate update that you are on freq xx.**** calling CQ
    Updates would include date/time,call,locator,lat,long,mode,comment (like calling CQ)

On the web side first pass will just be a latest first table showing updates perhaps from the last 30 minutes.  Other web pages would allow bigger ranges of search.

Once the idea seems to be working and we like what we see then we'll populate a google map on a map page.

Any other thoughts?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    You might want to take a looks at CommCAT which has already implemented this exact feature for COMMCAT users.
  • John Leonard
    John Leonard Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    I like this idea..... any kind of Flex users live on the air functions would be great! 
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I think Gerald should get right on this. Since he wrote PSDR, he could do this easily. He could also include an integrated chat service. It would position Flex another step ahead of the pack, by providing additional value to their user base. A good example of this is our user community here, in contrast to the E radio company. It is incredible they still use "Yahoo Groups" and a outdated reflector system. Our site here is clean, unfragmented and easy to use. Great innovative idea Disiminuk. Now Flex needs to consider it.

Dan
  • Ali  9K2WA
    Ali 9K2WA Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    HRDlog.net pushes the station status on  the web, I use Log4OM external logs settings to send the status, QRG and mode to the HRDlog.net and display that on my QRZ.com page.

Remotehams has a web page http://www.remotehams.com/online.html which lists all active radios on their website pages displaying the status, QRG and mode with the user message as well.  I tried their free software to control my Flex from my own web QRZ.com page.

And yes indeed I confirm CommCat mobile lists active users  as Howard stated above, I used that software also.

I think an RSS feed would be a must so that one can be alerted automatically every time some one logs in.

It would also be nice to have the ability to be able to listen to the audio stream as well.

HNY to all.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    In December 2005, N3FJP and others tried to get this going in a project called WOTADB (Who's On The Air DataBase)  It was an effort to link subroutines in many different logging programs to a common data server that would allow everyone to list their call, frequency, mode and some comment, such as "CQing" "DXing" "Looking for Rag Chew" "Hunting Meteor scatter" etc. in a format that was searchable and flag-able, and displayed like many of the spotters networks.  The parameters would automatically update with activity status.

The goal was to be able to enter a request "NM9P" and a display would show where NM9P was, and a history of operation for the day, (if NM9P allowed it in his setup parameters.)

It generated some short-lived enthusiasm and then died for lack of interest/programmers/server availability.

I thought it was a great idea and followed the yahoo group reflector for some time.  I think that is was perhaps a great idea that was a few years ahead of its time.

Ken - NM9P
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Others have simply tried to set up go to Freq that Flexers could meet, but I don't think it panned out.
  • Nicholas Parry
    edited December 2015

I really like this idea as individual users could choose to use this service or not.  I think that a support network with other flexers online could be useful in exploring emerging data communications protocols with other SDR users.

Nick- M0NAG 

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    How does one get added to your Alpha List?
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Let me check.... hum... Howard... It seems you are already on the list!  :-)

Actually anyone interested send me a note with your email address to  ws7m@arrl.net
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Guys (and gals!) if you are interested in checking out the agent and helping me debug and improve, send me a note so I have your email at:

ws7m@arrl.net

• K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Just one more way to give up my privacy. Why not cut out the middleman, automatically work stations found online, automatically QSL them, all the while you are sitting in front of the fire with a **** and chips. That works for me!
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Now there is an idea!  Fully automated ham radio!  I could make multiple DXCC while lounging on the beach in Hawaii!  
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    More than just status information, the real power of this idea comes from finding other users who are looking to start a QSO in a particular mode; in the same sort of way that Xbox Live has a "beacon" feature advertising the player's desire to start a game of Halo 5 or Call of Duty. Something like "Help with RTTY on 40m anybody?" would be appropriate for this venue.

And to assuage those with privacy concerns it would be really good if the operator can decide what details are published right down everything except nothing. For that simply don't use it.

Danny
    K2DMS
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ok everyone, a very early initial version of the Agent is available for download and testing.  Email me at ws7m@arrl.net if you desire a copy.

I'm going to start working on a web service to gather the data and will wait to see if any of you have issues with the little Agent program.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I really like good ideas!image

73, Jay - NO5J
  • Don-KB6TSQ
    Don-KB6TSQ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I like this idea too!

If an agent like Mark mentioned, sent your call sign, freq., mode to a web service.
    Then this web service, could as an example, place a pin on say google maps with Call and Frequency for those who were actively operating.  The pins could be color coded for different modes.  Operators considering a Flex could hear the rigs in operation too.  My two cents...not worth much.

Thanks for the idea
    Don
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Very cute idea. Bravo! If I understand the design correctly, the fact that you need the agent AND a running FlexRadio (to,provide the ARG and mode) would be sufficient to ensure reasonable security. The agent can get the call sign from the radio's call sign property. Peter K1PGV
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The WSPR group uses something like this on their web site.  Their WSPR software has a check box that can activate reporting if and when desired.  When it is activated, your call and location and all WSPR contacts are uploaded to the site.  The data is placed on a map with lines between stations indicating a contact was made between them.  Maps are separated by band.  Its pretty cool really and I use it to see when certain bands are open and into what areas.  Taking a look at their web site might give some ideas. Their site can be seen at http://wsprnet.org/drupal/

Another really cool technology is WebSDR.  I really like how you can see who is using the WebSDR radio and see them on the waterfall.

• Terry K8EET
    Terry K8EET Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    This could be a tremendous marketing tool for flex, if all hams were able to see where flex operators were on the air and available to contact. Prospective customers would be able to contact flex users for their input. With the "Flexers" locations appearing on the map, they would probably be interested in contacting those user nearby.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Hi Peter, 

Yes all that is true.  I think there are a number of hams worried about security.  Some of them have fully visible QRZ.com pages so sometimes the desire to be private is thwarted elsewhere.

I have decided (and I'm open to additions and suggestions) to base the design on the following:

Agent program:

Gets from your Flex radio:  Call sign, radio nickname, slice data for all slices
    However it provides a place (fields) for you to input the call sign you wish to use for the upload.  Why?  Well I can completely see a case for portable or perhaps other cases where the ham operating is at a guest station.  Anyway 99% of us will put the same call in the field as in our radio.   

The agent also has space for grid, lat, long and your name.  Again all optional. If you don't fill them out they will not be uploaded.

Also I am providing checkboxes to enable various parts of the update including turning it off entirely.

Lastly there is a manual update where you can type in a frequency, mode and a comment.

So trying to be flexible with this but at the same time give options to limit and control what you upload.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    @Don,

Maps will come if there is use and interest.  My road map is as follows:

1) Get agent tested and mostly debugged (initial version sent out)
    2) Get feed back on agent and desired changes
    3) Build a rudimentary working web service (about 50% complete)
    4) Update agent to send updates to web service
    5) Release updated agent to test group

etc 
    etc

At any point during this process feedback is welcomed.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hi Mark,

I already have comments. Do you want to open a thread in this forum to share info between users of your software?

Thanks
  • N7BCP
    N7BCP Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    It would be nice to see this project on GitHub where some of us could comment and contribute.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Larry, It is on github.  Once I get it organized a little I'll make the repository public and let everyone know where it is.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.