Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Acom2000A or SPE 2K A

Ross Biggar
Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
This is not really a question. I wish to thank all of you who replied to my question about the Acom 2000A or the SPE 2KA . Interestingly 62% of the answers were in favour of the SPE amplifier, where there was some doubt about which type  I gave the reply a 50/50.
I can see advantages in either amplifier. The Acom has a remote head, which would suit nicely, but the SPE appears to have more flexibilty. On pricing it seems they are virtually identical.
I will probably go for the SPE unit, now to wait for their quote.

Thanks all I really appreciate your replies.
Ross
ZL1WN

Answers

• Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Ross Maybe you should consider repair issues with both as well. There are some issues with both. Personally I dont care about remote head as I use DDutil. It should work with both Amps however Acom 2000 is already coded while SPE2ka isn't. Ian
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Too bad your are not. In the USA and at Dayton Hamvention this year They were having show special pricing of $6,495US for the 2K HOWEVER. Flex announced tonite that they will be brining out a Solid State Full Legal Limit Amp with 4O3A as Designer which will be network via Ethernet to the 6000 series. No real details yet but enough of a hint that one of my buddies decided to put off his 2K purchase to see what Flex will bring out.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

That is very exciting.  I hope the price will be competitive with the 2K and the A2000.
    They are both great amps.  A new product like this may a long way off, though.

Ned,  K1NJ
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Design is not that difficult. The issue will be the delay in getting regulatory approval given the usual bureaucratic nonsense required for Amps. No idea as to pricing or actual delivery dates or features except that it will be a networked device.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Howard Is there any hint at pricing and are they taking orders? Ian
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Too early to tell
  • Ross Biggar
    Ross Biggar Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I will put more order in, at least I can use the Amplifier  down here in NZ without waiting for the FCC,s approval.
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    I had a Acom 2000A and if the line voltage got 1/2 v out of spec the amp would shut down.  I live out in the country in FL east of Orlando and given the air conditioning load here it's not unusual to see a couple volts line variation.  I wound up selling the Acom, nice amp but too much hassle

73  W9OY 
  • Peter Bentley
    Peter Bentley Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015

I have owned the Acom 1000 and the Acom 2000A

Both well engineered amps, but producing large amounts of unwanted heat into the shack even on idle. The valves will eventually become a sourcing issue.

The 2000A does not cover 6m, you need the 1000 to do that. Both amps  lack flexibility in terms of input and outputs.

I now have the 'bombproof' Expert 2k.

You get 2 PL259 inputs for 2 separate transmitters, which can be automatically switched to six PL259 antenna outputs in any combination from 160m thru to 6m, with peak output of 2,400 watts PEP.

That's how it is...

G4BIM

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Any further rumors about the FlexAmp? I'm looking for a good 160-6m amp with QSK. Acom looks good, and even the small Elecraft, too. I don't care about "legal limit" - 500 or so watts is plenty for me. Opinions?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Like everything else with Flex. It will happen when it happens. Best guess Dayton 2016 if they can get thru regulatory nonsens in time. Definitely go solid state. Instant on is great as you don't miss those rare ones waiting for filaments to heat up. I have lot of friends who lost Q's waiting 4 minutes for Alphas to start.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    No price hints and we are not taking any pre-orders.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.