Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Acom 2000A frequency tracking with ddutil and smartsdr

Matt (K0KB)
Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
edited August 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Auto track smartsdr frequency with the acom and ddutil

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Matt, Have you followed these instructions? http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=How_To#Setup_a_ACOM2000A_Linear_Amplifier It's very straight forward. 73, Mack W4AX Alpha Tester
  • LarryF
    LarryF Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hi Mack, thanks for the response.  I have followed the instructions.  I think my initial post got **** up somehow, but below is how it should read.  Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated!

I have a flex 6700, the latest DDutil, smartsdr 1.9.13, and the Acom 2000A with the new RCU.  I've connected the serial port on my PC with the acom using a custom cable with pins 2 -> 3, 3 -> 2, and 5 -> 5.  I've connected ddutil to the Acom at 1200 baud.  

The problem comes about that I can not use ddutil to change the amp from operate to standby and it does not track the frequency or band of smartsdr like my KPA 500 does.  I have to send RF through the amp for it to change bands.

In the ddutil wiki items #1 and 3 lead me to believe that it should be tracking properly.  I've now made two cables thinking one was **** up, but I'm wondering if it's by design?  Anyone with one of these working to their delight that can shed some light on it - it would be appreciated.

DDUtil supports the following features and operations of the ACOM A2000A.
    1. Follows radio Frequency and Band Changes.
    2. Auto Power On if optional Remote On Adapter is installed.
    3. StandBy/Operate mode selection.
    4. Auto Tune of single and multiple bands.
    5. Antenna Selection if optional A2000S is installed.
    6. Tube Temperature display.
    7. Frequency and Band/Segment display.
    8. User/Default amplifier tuning display.
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Matt,

Yes, your original post didn't make it through. I was never able to get the 2000a to work with connecting the cable directly to the RCU. I'm using the new RCU. Truthfully I didn't troubleshoot much. I connect the CAT cable to the connector on the back of the 2000a. Works great here.

Mack
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hi Mack,

I have my serial cable connected from the PC to the "RS-232" port on the back of the 2000A.  There is another serial cable from the "remote control" on the back of the 2000A to the RCU and an RCA cable from the 6700 to the RCU. 
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Thanks Larry.

I had read those, but I just re-read the one where he says "On the main DDUtil page click the yellow STBY button, it should turn green and say OPER."  I think that tells me I have something further to chase down, be it a bad cable or com port or something of the sort.  I can not communicate to mine.  If I click STBY on the RCU it will be reflected in DDUTIL but I can't click in DDUTIL and have the change reflected in the RCU.

Can anyone else comment on if it does actually properly change frequency with ssdr?
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    It sounds what your connector is wired incorrectly. If it works in One Direction and not the other that indicates a wiring problem. Yes all changes from DDUtil will be reflected back on the RCU and the amp will track frequency from SmartSDR.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Thanks.  I'll double check things and see what I can get going.  At least now I know I'm not chasing my tail.
  • Matt (K0KB)
    Matt (K0KB) Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I wanted to update for other people in the future.

It was the the material I was using to make the serial cable between the computer and the rs-232 on the Acom.  Initially I had tried cat 5 and had no luck, then I cut up an extra VGA cable and still no go.  On the third go-round this morning I cut up an old serial cable and it now works properly.  Standby/operate button works and it tracks SSDR frequency flawlessly.
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I'm pleased it's working now.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.