ACOM 1200S

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I am about to order my first-ever amplifier - an Acom 1200S.  I have looked through the various community questions regarding Acom amplifiers but not been able to find a really definitive answer to my question.
I have a Flex6700 (v.2.49) and want to interface it with the Acom 1200s which in turn will be connected to my PalStar HF-Auto ATU.  

What cables (if any!) do I need in order to make this all work automatically (and remotely).  I know that I will need a phono cable!  Do I need any special settings in the rig to switch the amp? Should I be connecting one of the USBs on the 6700 to the (so-called) RS-232 on the amplifier or should I rely on the auto-sensing?  If I should then what cable to I need?

What else do I need to know? Any caveats?

Thanks in advance and 73,

David G4NRT / Z21NRT
Photo of David G4NRT / Z21NRT

David G4NRT / Z21NRT

• 240 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Paul

Paul

• 480 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
Hi David. In the absence of other replies I hope you don't mind me asking If you've considered an HF1k by Linear amps UK? I have one of these an find that it integrates well with my 6500. It has an ethernet connection and is readily accessible remotely. There is a Windows based client (written by Simon Brown) which can also make use of Omnirig for CAT control.

I have no connection with the company and should add that there have been a couple of teething problems, which have been addressed promptly. I am now finding the amp to be reliable and transparent in day to day operation. I use an LDG AT1000 pro II to good effect so I would imagine your Palstar would also work.

Hope this is helpful. 73, Paul
(Edited)

David G4NRT / Z21NRT

• 240 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I have agreed a very good price for the Acom so think I will stick with that for the time being.  I also have some personal stuff (which I need not go into) with the owner of DXShop ...

Thanks again!  

David 
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 480 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
OK David no problem. Have fun with the 1200S, I'm sure it's a fine amp. The only thing that steered me from the 600 or 1200 at the time I was looking, was the lack of remote software for them. I know that this is now available. Good luck with it.

David G4NRT / Z21NRT

• 240 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Paul.  Could I ask that you contact me offline.  My email address is as shown on ,y QRZ page ... Tnx es 73 de G4NRT
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 480 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
No problem David. Message sent.