Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Accessories Control Via Version 2.x

David-N5PSM
David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
How narrow will the remoter control features of V2.x be? For instance,  If I have another device controlled via Ethernet or USB at my station will I be able to control it remotely via the V2.x software?  or will I have to come up with a second portal to operate accessory devices?

Answers

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Hi David FRS has said that this area is being explored. My guess is we will see roll outs in later versions of SmartSDR v2.x to add what is possible. Capability may not be completely level between clients (SmartSDR for Windows, SmartSDR for iOS, DogparkSDR for OSX and SmartSDR for M-model radios). TBD and like things SDR charging with releases to add more is my best guess. I am planning a parallel connection myself, as I want to do/control things I cannot expect FRS to integrate just for me. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    David,

Beginning with v1.10, you are able to control your station directly from the USB ports on the back of the radio.  You can also control Antenna Genius over Ethernet talking to the radio.  DDUTIL is available for station control as well.

Gerald
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    As has been said on other threads, with what other radio vendor does the President participate in the customer discussion forum? Thanks, Gerald!
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

BTW Ranko 4o3a has posted that he expects to start the integration of the Genius product control into SmartSDR in Q4 2017 in a post his Google+ group. 

That would move things like Antenna Genius, Station Genius and Rotor Genius native SmartSDR control to later this year.  Presumably the Power Genius Amp will be integrated into SmartSDR from the launch.

Steve K9ZW 

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Having the ability to change antennas on the Antenna Genius from the Maestro will br like having power steering on a Cadillac, wait, someone used that analogy already. Like having ice cream on cone, there, how's that.
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Hi David,

SmartSDR v 2.0 with SmartLink for remote operations, raises questions and options for those who want to control accessory equipment with serial interfaces.  While control via the USB ports on the 6000 series radios is very useful, it is currently limited to band switching.

In anticipation of SmartSDR 2.0, I want to maintain full remote control of my equipment without the need for VPN or a computer running in the shack. Fortunately, I’ve found an inexpensive solution that will work without either.  Specifically, I’ve installed and tested a USR-N540 (Jinan USR-IOT) four-port serial to Ethernet converter, which is accessible from the Internet or LAN, providing reliable control of my Green Heron RT-21, Elecraft KPA500 and other equipment with serial interfaces.  

I use DDUTil, Elecraft software or DX Labs Suite, however any application that employs serial ports to control peripheral equipment can be run on a laptop, desktop or tablet, whether operating remote over the Internet or on your LAN. Again, this works for remote operations without VPN or a PC running in the shack.

The N540 does not have authentication for direct serial connections (it does have authentication for firmware configuration); consequently, for security I can shut down the device with a Digital Loggers Web Power Switch that is used to control power for all of my equipment.

The USR-N540 is available for about $72 with free shipping.  

http://www.usriot.com/p/4-ports-serial-ethernet-converter/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301881123530?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Larry KB1VFU
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Hi Larry

Actually the radio's USB ports can do a lot more than just band switching.  https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/flexradio-usb-configuration-possibilities

and there is a manual in the main website downloads.

Mack W4AX did a great presentation at Xenia on how he has automated his entire station via the onboard USB system.

You certainly can do a serial-based system alongside the built in USB, but it may be simpler to use what the radio has onboard.

Steve K9ZW

• Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thanks, Steve, I missed that post and appreciate the ingenuity in passing commands through the USB  ports to accessory equipment.  However, I don't see how that setup with the current capabilities of SmartSDR can provide control and interactive data on the status of accessory equipment. For example, azimuth data on a Green Heron controller or operating status of a KPA500. And, I note that W4AX is using a computer to control his Green Heron rotor controllers and suggested the same for amplifier control. Am I missing something?

Also, does this architecture work over the Internet without a computer running in the shack?    

KB1VFU

• David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thank you Steve.
  • David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Thank you Gerald,  I am looking forward to operating remote as I Travel a lot. (9mo in one hotel 2016)  I bought a KX2 for travel and it did not work out for me.  I am used to setting up my own VPN(s) and doing home control while away.  I look forward to operating my station via one portal...  Thanks for your help.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Hi Larry

Like you I think there are things that I want to control and monitor that more than I can expect to FRS to do. 

Ranko 4o3a on his Google+ message board mentioned that he hopes to have the AntennaGenius, StationGenius and RotorGenius integrated in SmartSDR during Q4 2017. 

In my case that might just get me there to be able to use just the SmartLink brokered connection for remote station needs.

I'd think we will see a couple steps as version 2.x evolves in terms of station integration.

Steve K9ZW 

• David-N5PSM
    David-N5PSM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Just ordered it.  73
  • Larry Benoit
    Larry Benoit Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Dave,

Let me know if you need assistance with installation.   The setup and driver software are on the USR-IOT website. 

The critical step (undocumented) in configuring the device is the assignment your router's public IP address to the virtual COM ports. You enable port forwarding to the N540's static IP address and four remote port numbers (corresponding to the four serial hardware ports).  I changed the remote port numbers to a much higher number (the default was 23,24,25,26). The N540 ports are setup as "TCP Server" (which is not the default).  

Larry KB1VFU

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.