Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ACC Cable Commercially Available?

Neal_K3NC
Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Will Flex sell an "octopus" style cable that converts the ACC jack into Line In, Line 1 Out, etc? If not, is there any demand for this (besides mine)?
1 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    +Like
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes I thinks someone should make it
  • Reg
    Reg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    As reported elsewhere many of us are using the nifty Winford DB-15 break out boards: http://www.winford.com/products/brksd15hd.php Winford has high quality data sheets and the product is about $15.00 plus $6.00 for USPS Priority Mail shipping. If you order 2 the shipping price is still $6.00. If you go with this slim breakout board you want the **** jack version. The non-slim breakout boards will interfere with adjacent connections but the slim version plugs into the back nicely. I wish these had been around for all of the DB-9 and DB-15 connectors I soldered over the years. An octopus may fit your needs better but the Winford breakout board is worth a look. Reg, KD5RB
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Making your own cable is not hard. The parts are cheap. Why not take this as an opportunity to apply some of the knowledge you have gained as a ham radio operator to carry on the time-honored tradition of building your own gear? If you aren't comfortable with soldering, I'm sure there's someone in your local club who would be glad to help out. I built my own interface cable for my SignaLink USB for $5, AND I have the satisfaction of having made it myself. Don't be an appliance operator, pick up a soldering iron!
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    agree !! love the smell of melting flux...ha 73
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    or, if you're REALLY lazy, like me, you could sacrifice an old vga video cable? not sure if gender is correct, though...
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    got FLDigi working via CAT , works good now
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    I tried that with an old VGA cable I had, now that was a pain in the **** to ring out. Wires extreeeeemly tiny too. I ended up buying a new HD-15 and sacrificing a network cable to make it work. Here's the other advantage with BYOC (build your own cable): you can come up with nifty-non standard wiring to match your other gear. With the SignaLink USB, when you change rigs you have to change the internal jumpers. I wired my cable for the Flex to match what the SignaLink wants to see when I use my IC-706MIIG. Now I can switch rigs and I don't have to switch internal jumpers.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    *** CAUTION *** The VGA cable I checked had common wires that could be detrimental to the radio. I used a solder type DB connector and an Ethernet cable. The middle row on the DB connector was not easy to get right. I can see how this could be a problem for people with vision or dexterity limitations. I would recommend an DB 15 male to RJ45 female adapter: http://goo.gl/PXm7et Then just use a regular Ethernet cable. The cable is practically made for you.
  • K4EAR
    K4EAR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    pin 11, TX OUT, would not be available, if you happen to need it with the adapter.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited March 2015
    Yes, I meant to point out a High Density 15-pin D-sub male plugable connector to RJ 45 adapter. This is a hard adapter to find.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    edited March 2015
    I don't think the audio is coming through the CAT.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.