Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ability to bring up QRZ when clicking on a spot

Pat N6PAT
Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in New Ideas
For the next SSDR release how about adding the ability to bring up operator info from QRZ when clicking on a displayed spot.

Right now if you right click on the spot you get an option to delete the spot. Suppose instead of this it displayed a menu which included the delete function, a QRZ lookup, etc. Or perhaps a user defined option where the spot variable is available for passing to an external function.

DX Summit does this by displaying a menu when clicking on a spot:

Comments

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    interesting idea...just think some more thought needs to given to how it will work and look

do you want win ssdr to bring up the QRZ webpage with the query call auto-filled.?or
    do you expect the qrz.com display data to pop on the ssdr panafall view?orsome other presentation for example: the program that is supplying the spots to the radio might actually do a better job gathering and displaying he WRZ data rather than directly on ssdr view

also,where will the qrz.com password be stored?

as aside note:
    I think for M models display..be a bit crowded when two panafalls being displayed

• Ian Snow
    Ian Snow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Newbie here with a slight off-topic question.  I have a subscription to QRZ.com.  Do I also need a separate subscription to the QRZ xml service to make the logging work?
    Ian VA3QT
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I was thinking of a separate window for QRZ much like how DX Summit works. When the window is launched QRZ knows your password - I'm assuming via cookies - on your computer. I don't need to log into QRZ every time I bring it up from DX Summit.

I will often look up an op in QRZ when I see the spot.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Because the spots are set by 3rd party software such as SliceMaster, would they do this idea upgrade and not in SSDR?
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    The pathfinder app in Dx Lab will bring up QRZ or others.  It will already be populated with the call and a click on QRZ will bring up the QRZ page.  I use this all the time.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    When you are looking at the spot in SSDR that would be when you would be clicking on it.

When I set the filtering in Spot Collector,  I downsize the window and just look at SSDR. It would be nice to be able to get the QRZ window from SSDR instead of reactivating the Spot Collector window and then launching yet another window for QRZ

Also, doesn't it make more sense to change a single app like SSDR then multiple spot source apps if they all feed to the same point?
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Not everyone is using the same spot source app but if you're using a flex then you're most likely using SSDR.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    My point is, the spots are not generated by SSDR, it is the software your using to produce them, so it is that software that needs to connect to QRZ. If that software can connect to QRZ or anything you want it to then SSDR can be made to link to that the same way as it gets the spots, from other software.
    The Flex does not do Telnet.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Keep in mind not everyone keeps there rig connected to the internet, this is one of the reasons the M series is standalone and a user should not be required to have internet to use a rig.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Because SSDR is not a telnet it is not a spot source.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.