Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

A complete idiot's guide to N1MM CW quick setup?

W5XZ - dan
W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
edited October 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
i'm getting confused flipping back and forth between N1MM Interfacing Basics, and SmartSDR Cat set up docs...RTS, DTR, etc... Can somebody dumb it down for me? create additional ports with SmartSDR CAT? which kind? how many? maybe, later, i'll tackle the other modes, as needed. contest season approaches...73

Answers

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Dan, Then are probably several ways to set it N1MM with SSDR this is the way I have it set up.. See screen shots below Please note that I have created additional com ports that are not needed by N1MM and that You must impliment CW via a seperate hardware comort.. AL, K0VM
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Dan, I guess that I left out the part that you were acsking about -- CW.. The cuurent versions of SSDR/SSDR CAT do nbot provide a means or running CW except by external hardwaqre.. I happen to use WINKEY USB Lite with N1MM.. Here is an additonal N1MM screen shot.. You could also CW via RTS on a hardware com port. AL, K0VM
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Dan, call me
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Dan, Here is a N1MM screen shot with CW on DTR of COM4.. In both cases I use the CW input thru the ACC connector. AL, K0VM
  • Jim-WD5IYT
    Jim-WD5IYT Inactive Employee
    edited October 2019
    I just posted a document that describes how I set up N1MM at the K5FRS club station. It might be helpful. http://support.flex-radio.com/Downloads.aspx?id=430
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    nice job Jim ! just what i needed...
  • Bob VanFossen
    Bob VanFossen Member
    edited July 2014
    Jim, your link in the beginning of this conversation (http://support.flex-radio.com/Downloa...seems to no longer be valid.  Can you supply a new link to the setup at K5FRS?
    K4DJG

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Dan,
    I have a document that describes the hardware interface needed if you want to key the rig via a PC serial port. It lists the parts, schematics, pictures etc.    In addition to the connectors it requires a transistor and resistor.  

I have the document posted elsewhere but can point you to it if you would like to review it.  Just drop me an email.  By the way the interface will also allow you to connect a straight key to the line from the  ACCESSORY jack.  You can use your paddle on the front key jack without having to disengage the "iambic" button when switching between the two keys.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015

The link comes up with the following error.

Oops! This link appears to be broken.

Did you mean: support.­flexradio.­com/­Downloads.­aspx

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The old web site no longer exists.  This is on the new web site:
    http://www.flexradio.com/files/using_n1mm_logger_with_smartsdr-pdf/

• Pete K6TJ
    Pete K6TJ Member ✭✭
    Is there a current guide to a remote Flex 6400, N1MM and CW (including a paddle)?
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Pete, I don't know of a specific guide for that combo, but I was able to remotely operate my 6400 using the info in the SmartSDR manual (look up SmartLink). The Flex is designed to be easily remoted, so I would start there.

I don't use N1MM, so I am not much help there...

For remote CW, there is a group in groups.io called RemoteKeyerInterface. I built the very simple circuit, and using an outboard keyer, it keys the Flex really well.

If you like building more complex things, you could build a TeensyMaestro which has a built in keyer and keys the Flex remotely using TCP/IP over a SoftEther VPN connection. See my QRZ page for more info.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

For remote, if you don't have a Maestro, you want to use a WinKeyer and WKFlex to connect to SmartSDR CAT.

https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/8024988/wkflex-cw-remote-with-smartsdr-and-winkeyer

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.