Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

a video speaks a thousand words..

ctate243
ctate243 Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTF3ykFfE_Y
SSDR 1.4.3 operated remotely over Internet via VPN, along with K6TU control remote over second VPN tunnel.. 

Comments

• W9XC
    W9XC Member
    edited April 2015
    "This video is private."
  • GI4FZD
    GI4FZD Member
    edited April 2017
    Can't see it..it says this video is private.
    cheers
    Paul
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    try it now guys.. sorry been a while since i have used the youtube channel :)
  • Barry Isseks
    Barry Isseks Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    close... but no cigar   ;-)
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Its all working now..  folks are viewing.  This is pretty darn cool..  very exciting.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Great Video

No Sound?

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016

Not for this one Howard.  I had my headset on and just shot this with my iPhone real quick to share..  I can do a fancier one with setups on both sides if folks felt they would get some value out of it.. 

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    The more detail you publish - especially screen shots or videos - the better-- it will save people time trying to figure it out...

I find that when I publish stuff that I suppose that only I might be interested in, i suddenly find that there is a much larger audience than I had ever suspected...
  • Mike Whatley
    Mike Whatley Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Camtasia. SCREEN RECORDING SOFTWARE https://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Camtasia is too expensive at $300.00 per copy. I found that TechSmith Snag-It is just as effective at a much cheaper price.
  • Mike Whatley
    Mike Whatley Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Yes I use Both Bob.  And the Mac Version is much cheaper. That said, I take Your point.  Unless you're a multi-media producer unlikely most will buy it. 

This video could have been done using Snag it. But it was shot sloppy as the author noted. At a minimum he should have put his cam on Stix.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020

Guys.. again I recorded this ON THE FLY with my iPhone.   It was done with about 3 minutes of extra time in between my duties to simply give a visual representation that all the pieces work together.  When I have time in between work, tending to my Superstation, and making sure Flex Signature (and this forum) is the Go to platform for the world contest community - I will shoot some instructional video's for this stuff since it sounds like there are a lot interested.    Appreciate all the attention and positive responses!

• Mike Whatley
    Mike Whatley Member ✭✭
    edited April 2015
    Burt...
    . As Chris notes, he did this "on the fly" with his iPhone. The justifcation for this is, "Hey I just want to push this demonstration out "down and dirty" and share it with others'.  It's less instructional than, "hey take a quick peek at  my workflow on this."

Interesting Visual information presentation is hard. Just like "writing" If it were easy we'd all be rich having written best selling novels and produced films and videos that millions wanted to see. Alas it is NOT easy.  Instrucitonal video is among the hardest to produce. Not because it is technically difficult but because the subject matter is often not terribly exciting. (and the signal goes into this box, then decodes......).  So the author is left with how can I imaginatively demonstrate this? Do I use Screen Shots or a Real Screen Recorder to show the steps. Or Do I draw it on a Single Line in a CAD depiction. And last (and most importantly) How do I present the narration? At the end of the day it's all about the "writing".  --- And that is time consuming as well.  So for a hobbyist with many other interests, producing these at a high level is a time consuming endeavour.

I shot and edited Television news all over the world. Speaking to a group of Grad students once, I said, I'm going to tell you the 3 most important things about being a news Cameraman/Editor/Producer.  (The students at this point all sit up straighter at their laptops (if they're not texting some chick or guy) ready to take down these 3 vital points.  And I say, #1 "It's the Writing!"  #2 "It's the Writing"  #3 "It's the Writing!"....Because without harmony between the written word and the visual image what have you got? Not much! (Well not much someone will sit through)

SO all that said, I'm comfortable with the "Down and Dirty" approach to getting the information out there into the stream. Is it sloppy at times? Sure. But in a world moving this fast, (even in Ham Radio which seems glacial at times, but the SDR arena is moving must faster than other segments in my view)... Just getting it out there is enuff.  (Sure if it's a project you're passionate about, then taking the time to build a "compelling" story and integrate all of the elements, (graphics, sound, annimation, narration, Stills and moving visual imagery) into a piece that will stand for a while....GO For it.  That's where becoming really fast at editing and thinking about the story build comes to play. You gotta have your head in it!

Cheers,
    mike/wa4d/
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    No good deed goes unpunished... :-)
  • Dan Zimmerman
    Dan Zimmerman Member
    edited September 2016
    The only thing you missed was being pushed by the "air time" deadline...

Dan/N7BHB  (former small market shooter)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.