A very strange but reproduceable anomaly with MY 6500

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Acknowledged
I clicked on 'Problem' but it's just more of an annoyance
If I leave the Flex6500 just turned on and listening to a band for a length of time say 2-3 or more hours. I will get this problem almost every time.
The 6500 will shut down.
I'm using running WSJT-x (but just monitoring, no transmissions). I finally see a new station I haven't worked and call him at the appropriate time.
An audio pop from the speakers and the Flexs begins it's shut down process.SSDR stays on scree but is not working.
A shut down of the Flex and restart followed by a restart of SSDR and all works.
I do NOT have to shut down WSJT-x. just power down the Flex, and restart SSDR.
This does not require a reboot of the computer.
As I had not made a transmission, it was not rf, nor do I experience ANY rf induced shutdowns of any kind. (the advantage of qrp)

Anybody have any ideas why this will happen almost EVERY time I leave the two running and am just monitoring or working on the other computer with no interaction to SSDR at al.

Oh and Happy Memorial Day to all and especially you Vets. Hope you have an enjoyable day.
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

• 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dan -- KC4GO

Dan -- KC4GO

• 340 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
I have a 6500 and run WSJT-X a lot some times 8 to 10 hours at a time. In WSPR mode run TX with band hopping with no problems.
Never had 6500 shutdown as you describe. 
Photo of Mal G3PDH

Mal G3PDH

• 49 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes, I have had a few occasions when the 6500 loses commnication with the computer after leaving the station running on standby. However, I would not say that my issue was reproducible as it has only been spasmodic. It has never dropped out while in full operational mode.
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 979 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
Bill, what is your network setup? Could be a network, a cable or a pc problem.
I have never seen this in my shack and I do a lot of WSJT-X...
73, Alex - DH2ID
(Edited)
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

• 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
home wifi and wire connection to a router.
as far as I can tell, I NEVER have a loss of connection to any of my equipment that is connected to the router
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 449 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Bill,  are you getting any kind of message on the front panel display of the 6500 when it shuts down?  My 6500 would shut down displaying "FPGA Fan Speed Error".  In my case the CPU fan was going bad. The radio actually monitors the fan speed and will shut it down. You could actually hear the fan noise when it did it.  I sent my rig back to Flex and they replaced both fans. 

Cal/N3CAL
(Edited)
Photo of Bill-W9OL

Bill-W9OL

• 726 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
no message on the panel or computer of any kind.
I leave the rig on just monitoring whatever band I'm on looking for that new band-mode
Go to make the contact, and the rig shuts down as I described.
restart the rig, restart wsjt-x and it works great again
but if I walk away for an appreciable time, I will have the same shutdown experience.
It's like the rig goes into 'sleep' mode, and when wsjt'x says do something, the rig does not acknowledge to the software
Not a killer,
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 449 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Bill,  the only other thing I might check is the "Remote Power On" connector on the back of the radio.  Are you using it or do you have anything plugged into it by mistake? 

Cal/N3CAL
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes

Bill, check the PC power management options and set it to high performance if it is not already and see if that cures it. You may have a device going to "sleep" to save power.

Dave wo2x

Photo of Steve - G8KNC

Steve - G8KNC

• 32 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I had a similar issue with my 6300 in that it would go into shutdown if I went transmit at anything greater than about 30W. Turned out to be power feed problems as I was going from PSU via a PWRgate and a RIGrunner using not-very-thick cables. All worked fine when I simplified the power arrangements.
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1678 Posts
  • 614 Reply Likes
Ensure your LAN connection, both in the PC and the router, do not go to sleep. Some of the "green" routers will shut down "unused" ports after a bit. But it's probably your PC LAN connection. 
Photo of Steve - G8KNC

Steve - G8KNC

• 32 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Surely that wouldn't make the Flex power itself down though? The issue reported isn't simply a loss of connection to the radio.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
Official Response
This issue has been previously reported and is in our bug tracker as issue #3597.  This is a high proiority issue that we are actively looking into.