Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

A small utility to read SmartSDR radio metering points with ethernet API

Denley W3XY
Denley W3XY Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
In my quest to figure out how to talk to my Flex 6000 radio with the Ethernet API I wrote a program that exposes the metering reported by the radio Ethernet API. Please consider this software only as a science experiment and that it is given with the thought some people might enjoy playing with it.  I wrote it using my Flex 6700 with version 1.3.8 software. I have not tested it with any other radio or software version and there is no promise that it will work at all with your system.  I won’t be able to give any technical support for it but if you are want to try it on those terms, you are welcome to download it from the location listed below.  Please don't rely on any readings from this program to be correct.

When the radio is queried with the Ethernet API to list its meter points it lists them by source, name, and number. For each metering point the API also provides a units type as well as high and low meter range values. This program lists these items as reported by the radio. The program also uses the meter ranges as reported by the API. The description of each metering point that is displayed in the program also comes from the API response. For each unit type my program applies a formula that tries to interpret the raw data returned by API. The program output matches what the radio is displaying in many cases but in other places the values don't make sense to me.  I assume that is because I don't quite understand what is measured or how it is supposed to work, but it could be that some of the API responses are still a work in progress and are just incorrect.

This program does not install any files other than a small ini config file that saves some user settings. When you first start the program, it listens for broadcasts from a Flex 6000 and then lists the radios it finds. Select the radio you want monitor.  In the options menu you can chose automatically start the metering if there is only one radio on the network. In the Source box at the lower left of the program you should see several sources such as COD-, RAD, or SLC.  When you click on a source, the names of metering points associated with that source will be listed in the Name box.  For example clicking on RAD with my radio will show two DC volt measurement points (+13.8A and +13.8B).  Selecting one of the names will populate the Number box with possible choices. If for example there are several slices running on the radio, there will be several numbers listed when SLC is the selected source. If there is only one number for a given metering point, it will be automatically picked, but if there are more than one to choose from you must click which one you want to start reading the meter.

The download location is www.denzone.com .

6 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

6 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• lyndy brannen
    lyndy brannen Member ✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Appears to work well on my 6300.
    Thanks
  • William Schauff
    edited January 2019
    Hi Denley!

Many tnx for the utility!

Trying to use with my 6300,  on W7 , but get the following message when I try to connect the radio:

'-150,0' is not a valid floating point value.

Any idea??

William - py2gn
  • Denley W3XY
    Denley W3XY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Hi William,

Thanks for trying the program.  The problem is that my software assumes that there would be a decimal point separator in floating point numbers rather than the comma  that your version of Windows uses. When I get a chance I will see if I can fix that.

Denley   

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Works great here on Win7 64bit and Flex6700 
    Thanks for the App
    Bret
    WX7Y

• James Whiteway
    edited February 2017
    Works just fine..........after I told my Windows Firewall(Vista) that is was OK to allow this program to do it's thing. (Using a 6300) One slight issue I did have, was once the program started, I had to change the meter selection from the default and then back for the meter to actually start. Other than that, it works just good.
       I am trying to write a couple of small apps for my 6300. I can ping the address and if the radio is on, it returns True, if it's not on, then it's False. BUT, and i hate to admit this, (but I will) I cannot get past that point! I can code in C#, but, I am more comfortable with VB.NET. (that may well be the issue) So, translating some of the C# code from Flex.lib etc. has been slow.
    Again, thanks for posting your utility. It encourages others to keep plugging away!
    james
    WD5GWY

• IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Thank you Denley,

it works fine also on my 6300. Very nice!
    I am still locked in the "discovering" of my radio and I would be glad if you could give me any help. I also posted a question on this post https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/getting-started-question
    As soon as I make it works, I will send a zip file with my experimental project. It seems other friends are asking for this but no public answer until now.

73' and thank you again
    Enzo
    iw7dmh
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thanks Denly,
    Install meter several days ago and I been playing with it.
    Love all the parameters that are available to check the functionality of my F-6700.
    The readings are right on for most of the functions.
    Hope to see a similar meter available for our radios.
  • W0DHB
    W0DHB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I've been using Flexlib with VB.net successfully and have some snippets I can provide.

Nothing Fancy yet, but I'm using various functions.

Dave W0DHB
  • James Whiteway
    edited November 2014
    Dave, I would DEFINITELY like to see you VB.NET code if you don't mind sharing.
    I have some C# code that has been shared here along with a couple of bits of my own, that work. But, getting things going in VB.Net has been a bit of a pain. Anything you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated!
    james
    WD5GWY
    (email is good on qrz.com)

• Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Like wise I have installed on a Windows 6 core with 12 gig memory running Win 7 64 bit. absolutely no issues. I like the voltage before and after fuse surprised in the amount of drop.  a lot of it is greek to me but makes a nice add on to my three Screen system. If you have a blg or form where the funtions are discussed I would like to sit in. thank you for another reason I like the SDR .
  • Denley W3XY
    Denley W3XY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    I wonder where the voltages really are actually measured.   The API reports them as before and after fuse but on my radio when I take the cover off and directly measure the voltage at the big fuse on the 13.8 input, the voltage is higher and has less voltage drop than what is reported by the Ethernet API.  It is also a good possibility that my program is just not reading the voltages correctly.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2014
    I questioned the voltage drop myself seemed really high.
  • Pete - W6OP
    Pete - W6OP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    To translate from C# to VB.Net - There are several free online converters, one is http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/ Don't try to convert an entire class at one time, just use a single method or a small snippet. They work pretty good. I program in both so don't have a problem but using the converter saves time with curly braces, etc.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Burt we are talking about smart sdr. You can download Fldigi and one of the screens read temp of the 6000
  • James Whiteway
    edited November 2014
    Thanks Pete, good suggestion. I was trying to convert too much and that did present some problems.
    james
    WD5GWY

• Roger Rockwell/na4rr
    Roger Rockwell/na4rr Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Denley..   I downloaded and it works great on my Win8 and 6700.

Roger
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Yes fldigi has that feature, I keep it running all the time.
  • Brian_W9HLQ
    Brian_W9HLQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Denley,   Any chance you can add another meter to include S meter style calibration markings?  I hate to admit, but reading he dBm values is annoying to me and having S meter reading would be helpful.   Thank you,   Brian, W9HLQ
  • Chuck - KJ6HT
    Chuck - KJ6HT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks Denley! Works great, you give hope to those of us that are just getting past "Hello World".
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Denly's website (denzone.com) seems offline at the time of my posting here. I checked on Archive.org and found a earlier .ZIP file of his FlexMeter software on Dropbox. It contains a .TXT note and a .EXE Windows application file. Hopefully this link will remain available for people who have been unable to find the software at Denly's website. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/igsnaxr91y8lhga/FlexMeter.zip

Regards to all,
    de John, WA7UAR

PS. The "Flexmeter notes.txt" file is reproduced below:
    --- QUOTE --
    In my quest to figure out how to talk to my Flex 6000 radio with the Ethernet API I wrote a program that exposes the metering reported by the radio Ethernet API. Please consider this software only as a science experiment and that it is given with the thought some people might enjoy playing with it.  I wrote it using my Flex 6700 with version 1.3.8 software. I have not tested it with any other radio or software version and there is no promise that it will work at all with your system.  I wonít be able to give any technical support for it but if you are want to try it on those terms, you are welcome to download it from the location listed below.  Please don't rely on any readings from this program to be correct.
    When the radio is queried with the Ethernet API to list its meter points it lists them by source, name, and number. For each metering point the API also provides a units type as well as high and low meter range values. This program lists these items as reported by the radio. The program also uses the meter ranges as reported by the API. The description of each metering point that is displayed in the program also comes from the API response. For each unit type my program applies a formula that tries to interpret the raw data returned by API. The program output matches what the radio is displaying in many cases but in other places the values don't make sense to me.  I assume that is because I don't quite understand what is measured or how it is supposed to work, but it could be that some of the API responses are still a work in progress and are just incorrect. 

This program does not install any files other than a small ini config file that saves some user settings. When you first start the program, it listens for broadcasts from a Flex 6000 and then lists the radios it finds. Select the radio you want monitor.  In the options menu you can chose automatically start the metering if there is only one radio on the network. In the Source box at the lower left of the program you should see several sources such as COD-, RAD, or SLC.  When you click on a source, the names of metering points associated with that source will be listed in the Name box.  For example clicking on RAD with my radio will show two DC volt measurement points (+13.8A and +13.8B).  Selecting one of the names will populate the Number box with possible choices. If for example there are several slices running on the radio, there will be several numbers listed when SLC is the selected source. If there is only one number for a given metering point, it will be automatically picked, but if there are more than one to choose from you must click which one you want to start reading the meter.

The download location is [denzone (dot) com]

Typical Source Names:
    COD- (Codec)
    RAD (Radio)
    SLC (Slice)
    TX- (Transmitter)
    --- END QUOTE ---

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.