Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

A real handycap for DXers

Joe
Joe Member
Listen to DX on slice A then decide to call on their QSX freq placing TX on slice B. All is good. But now go to another band momentarily to check a spot and then return to original band. TX IS NOW ON SLICE A and your calling on top of the DX and all the police men are yelling up up. This really stinks! The slices should stay as they were

Comments

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I think it's okay the police yell - UP, that doesn't stink...

I tried this on 6500 but can't duplicate.  When you check a spot, which slice did you use A or B?  Tried but but can't duplicate.

You can use XIT for now or use 3rd slice to spot as interim solution.

Good Luck and DX

K3Tim

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Isn't that purely the behavior of the logging/dxcluster software. Hrd behaves 'eeirdly' and tries to use b as rx and a as the qrx freq.
  • Joe
    Joe Member
    edited October 2015
    It happens when momentarily jumping to a band with a single slice open so TX is on A. Going back to the original band with 2 slices and TX WAS on B now TX is on A. Flex 6700
  • Joe
    Joe Member
    edited October 2015
    Nothing to do with the cluster purely a manual adjustment between bands. No CAT even connected
  • K9APW - Dick - Verona, WI
    edited June 2017
    Are you sure? I've had my 6700 for 2 years & it doesn't do what u r suggesting? Which Flex do you have?
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    My 6300 behaves as Joe states. Not what I would expect or embrace.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Joe and/or Dan... Would you please describe the exact steps you take using SSDR to do this? Please be very specific. I'd like to try to reproduce what you're seeing. Peter K1PGV
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    That sounds like what I'd expect. Why not use one of the other six slices to do the checking?
  • Joe
    Joe Member
    edited October 2015
    It is pretty simple  1. your setup for split operation Rx on slice A and Tx on slice B lets say on 15M.
    2. You change bands by clicking 'Band' from the upper left menu and select 80M. But only 1 slice is open on 80 and TX is Slice A. 3. Now change bands back to 15M ...all is the same as you left it frequencies are the same, bandwidths are the same except Tx is now on slice A.

That is certainly not what I would expected while SDRs are a different radio architecture a legacy radio wouldn't reverse TX/RX on VFO's after changing bands.  I don't recall that happening prior to 1.5 maybe I never noticed it. I get that slices and VFOs are a different paradigm but makes operation very non-intuitive. If you carry it further ...why doesn't the modulation mode or bandwidth change?

And ya you could open another slice but just something else to remember that sets you up for Tx on the Dx freq. and If you say you never transmitted on the Dx calling freq your a better man then I am. I would just like to limit the embarrassment  
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This has burned me on several occasions.  I had the band police all over me a couple times because of this.
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Perhaps I am just unlucky, but it seems now that every time I turn the radio on and tune around I hear some ham(s) yelling and complaining about some other ham. Some of it is malicious like the SSB group that purposefully placed their new roundtable knowing they would bleed into the well-established AM frequency on 3885 kHz. What they didn't know is that with the Flex, I can pull the upper filter skirt in and eliminate any trace of them! I can't do that with my R390A! 

peace and harmony ....
  • Ed.G
    Ed.G FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I think this is definitely a bug. I'll add it to our issue tracker. 
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

If I understand correctly, that once you set up split, if you switch to another band, then come back the split is off?

I've worked knob & button radios that also do this.

Premise is if you moved bands you are unlikely to want to work a cross-band split while on the other band, and that the rig cannot know what your intentions are when you return to formerly split band, so the rig defaults back to RX/TX on one freq.

Or is it something else you're seeing?

Steve K9ZW

• Joe
    Joe Member
    edited October 2015
    Steve no you don't understand. You have two slices. Rx on A and Tx on B. go to another band then return then Tx is on A and Rx is on B
  • Mike_N1MD
    Mike_N1MD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have had a 6700 since the "beginning of time". I can confirm the behavior that Joe describes. Surprised me greatly while chasing TX3X. The police came out in droves.

I am glad Ed.G has added this to the issue tracker. It needs to go away.

Mike N1MD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.