Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

A picture is worth a thousand words !

Juan TG9AJR
Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
So here they are one down on the bottom board and the other half way already and no PEN sign yet !!!

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I see you have re post ed again,
    You can put them back on as I said in the other post. for now.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    To band-aid until  the PEN arrives, you can stick the heatsinks back on and put a tie-wrap around each board and heat sink to hold it in place….. Mine heatsinks were still sticky..
    AL, K0VM
  • Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Then one that felt is a bit sticky, the other one is at an angle but has more stick to it.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I seem to notice that the issue appears to affect 6600s more than 6400s...maybe just because there are more of them out there.  I'm just curious.  I run DDUtil which monitors the internal temperature.  My very early 6400 (which was not affected) run at 28.6 degrees C in normal standby mode in DDUtil,  while my 4yr-old 6500 runs about 1.3 deg C hotter.  For those of you who have a 6600 and have DDUtil, what kind of internal temperature readings are you getting?  It likely has nothing to do with the problem, but as I say, I'm just curious.
  • Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Unfortunately did got to test and measure the temperature and now with one of the heat sinks down my 6600 is unplugged.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    You can tie wrap the heat sink back on until you receive the replacements if you ordered them on the PEN.  Others have done this successfully.  The temperature measurement is not connected to the ADC heat sink temperature and is thus irrelevant.  There is no reason to be concerned about thermal damage but you may get a high noise floor if it is not attached.  
  • Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Thanks Gerald, I will try the tie wrap or just wait for PEN. I tried to email the image to PEN but was return as spam.

Could this be an issue with no pana/waterfall signal ?
    I have a ticket open for that matter but until yesterday I decide to open my 6600 to found this.
  • KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    My 6600 sits around 26.8
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited May 2018
    Yes, your issue can be related to the heat sink falling off. 

I don't think that we can accept images on that email address.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited April 2019
    FYI, we use the same ADC on the 6300, 6500 and 6700 without heat sinks at all but on a larger PCB.  Heat sinking is through the PCB so the new heat sink is much better at dissipating the heat from the ground plan.  We did thermal camera tests before and after replacement and the ground plane side is much cooler than the original copper heat sink.  
  • Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I will try to mount the fall off and re-align the other one and try the no signal on the pan/waterfall.

Yes that is what I thought about the image/email I will put it on my open ticket.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Juan and all.  As one of the first to experience this, My flex 6600-M worked just fine with the temporary zip ties in place, and subsequently, after installing the PEN, the transceiver is equally just fine.  There are very few operators who put transceivers through the heavy use I do, I just used the 6600-M in a major contest effort over the weekend (along with a PGXL).  both worked flawlessly under heavy and continuous use.  Keep calm.. carry on.. install the PEN when it comes in... if you need to zip tie in the interim.. no worries.  just be careful of the ADC boards, particularly the small transformers and SMT parts.. if you are not comfortable yourself you can always reach out to an elmer with experience with these types of issues...  
  • Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I did some fairly used of my 6600 as I was and still astonish of what a Flex can do, that with the adhesive of the heat sinks issues, well and I have the results. I will secure them and report back, thanks.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    No problema y buenas suerte 
  • Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Gracias Chris !
  • Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    So put heat sink 1 on chip and tie wrap, re-align heat sink 2 and tie wrap as well.SmartSDR is back receiving !!!
    Now anxious waiting for PEN package to arrive to make the proper replacements.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    edited May 2018
    That will work just fine until the new heat sinks arrive.
  • Juan TG9AJR
    Juan TG9AJR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Great and massive Thank You for all the support !!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.